Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Classic Blizzard Sorc Guide

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Palm, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

Classic Blizzard Sorc Guide

This is a guide to building a classic blizzard sorc which is the most common, and in my opinion all around best, type of sorc in 1.10. This guide is primarily geared towards HC because thats what I have more experience with. This is not a guide to "the best sorc you can make", it just reflects my experience with the game so take what you like from it and change what you dont like.

About this build: Sorcs are one of the most fun chars to play and also the most fragile. Thus they are the most challenging and fun char to play in hardcore. They are hands down the char I played the most in my years of D2 classic.

Goal of this build: To make a sorc that is tough as nails and does good damage in hell. With this build you will be able to kill in hell 8 player games and teleport through the thickest packs of the toughest monsters in the game without fear. You will be able to make hot, open seals and kill vizir solo in an 8 player game in CS runs.

Why use Blizzard: Most sorcs are cold sorcs because A) it slows down enemies and B) most monsters in Chaos Sanctuary (end game xp zone) and Catacombs lvl 4 (best place to hunt for SOJ) are not cold immune. Blizzard is simply better than Orb IMO.

Stats:
    Str: 60 (for Frostburn)
    Dex: 51 (for Shard)
    Ene: base-75*
    Vit: rest

*From my experience I think 500, or a bit less, mana is the number you should aim for. More than that is nice but it's not really needed. Lets brake it down:

The sorc starts with 35 mana and gets +2 mana per lvl. At lvl86 this totals: 85 x 2 = 170 + 35 = 205. This guide calls for the use of Shard and Nightsmoke so thats + 70 = 275. With frostburns 275 + 40% = 385.

At lvl86 (where it starts getting tough), with base energy you have 385 mana. With another 80 you get 80 + 40% = 112 + 385 = 497.

IN CONCLUSION: you need +80 max mana from your items and/or stats.

Skills:
    Warmth: 1
    Static: 1
    Frozen Armor: 1
    Energy Shield and pre-reqs: 1*
    Telekinesis: 20
    Cold Mastery: 20
    Blizzard and synergies: the rest

*Only 1 point in ES because this sorc has high life and low mana. With a +2 amulet and barbarian battle command you already have 35% dmg to mana, if you put more than 1-2 points here your mana will not be able to handle the dmg.

Equipment:
    Shard
    Nightsmoke (I like it for the 50% dmg to mana combined with energy shield. If you know how dmg to mana works you will see why this belt is great for this build.)
    Frostburns
    Rare Mage Plate: 350+ def, resists, life, mana, socket (using a soj) with Pruby
    Rare Grim Helm or other: def, resists, life, mana, socket with Pruby / Pruby helmet
    Rare Boots: 2 (fire/light) or 3 (fire/any 2) resists 35%+
    Rare Amulet: +skills prismatic w/ or w/o Faster Cast Rate (FCR)
    Rare Rings: FCR, resists, life, mana (rings+amulet must give 20% FCR to reach 70% overall)
    Shield: Low budget: 45%+ Ward (has more def/block than a 3d shield if you dont need the extra res), high budget: rare Grim Shield 200+ def, 30% faster block rate/20% increased block, prismatic, socket with Pdiamond.

How much Resistence you want: You should not seek simply to max all resists in hell. In CS runs you get the lower resists curse cast on you all the time, that knocks 65% off all your resists. If Infector spawns with conviction or if another boss around him has conviction thats another 75%+ off. If this happens YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME TO REACT. It is simply too much damage for the sorc to handle. Fire res in particular you should have at least 120-130 stacked over max. Lightning you should also stack as much as possible, though fire comes first (fire and physical dmg are the main threats inisde CS). Cold you should simply max and poison not even that.

Ok, that about does her. Wraps her all up. With this build you will have everything you need: life, defense, resists, block, dmg and FCR. Great for lvling this the toughest areas of the game.

2. hmlyim

hmlyim IncGamers Member

How can you handle monster with cold immune?

For example, Lord De Seis (Oblivion Knight) in act 4 CS, most of the time, he is fire immune and cold immune, which leave us no choice but to use physical/lighning attack. If it is expansion, sure we can leave the job to our mecenary. But in classic....

3. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

Kill everyone around Seis, use static to get him down to 1 life and finish with telekinesis.

4. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

Nope. He will reheal and always seem to have more than just a hairline of life left. I have used and seen used static then thunderstorm. But this doesnt always work. If u have max orb/blizzard and cold mastery, and a backup kill skill in fire such as meteor/firewall/fireball and good fire mastery plus perhaps a good bit into static, mana shield and warmth: u dont have alot of skills left over to dump in t-storm.

I would carry some + sorc skill items in stash to boost damage, maybe a sig shield, crappy +2 ammy, +1 set sword or bong.

Thanks for the guide, Palm.

Was wondering about why u would only put 1-2 pts in ES (the mana ball). All the best classic sorcies have one, and any good ones that dont usually dont know what its for. I have found that the mana shield is very irritating early on in Nm and early hell, with sudden empty mana ball. This is cured with the usual +mana items u talk about, and leveling mana add ons, and greater likelihood of getting BO by the time u get to late hell. I would also push life to close to 900+ (pre-BO), without a pruby helm, and instead use a pskull'd or psapphire helm for MANA. I'm not an expert with ES and damage calc's, but half a dozen pts are good and I think some ppl max it.

5. Wyvern

Wyvern IncGamers Member

why is it that every time i see someone putting up a classic sorc guide everyone of them says 1 point in warmth?

this isnt LOD where you can put 1 point in warmth and have +27 points from gear.... If you dont want to be using mana pots every few seconds then you need to invest in warmth.

6. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

The problem with ES is that it redirects dmg to mana but without applying resists. % dmg to mana only applies to the dmg taken on life. The more dmg you redirect via ES to mana the less effective % dmg to mana is at nullifying some of the dmg. And at pretty much any ES lvl nullifying elemental dmg doesnt work. You need to find a balance of high life and some ES that greatly reduces physical dmg, nullifying some of it, and is able to take elemental dmg in a balanced way, i.e more or less equally in life and mana, though your mana should run out first. This is a high life sorc build thought out for HC, you can go with a high mana low life ES sorc but thats something else.
    You can go with warmth but its not needed with 500 mana + BO. I'd rather invest in dmg

7. Wyvern

Wyvern IncGamers Member

no guarantees that you will get to play with a barb 100% of the time, granted most CS runs do have atleast 1 barb in them but there are times that i find i get into runs where there is no barb.

8. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

Mana pot. Lvl 20 Warmth regens faster than lvl 1 Meditation.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern IncGamers Member

pretty sure you meant that the other way lvl 1 meditation rengens faster than lvl 20 warmth.

If your going for a low mana build investing points for dmg, can you explain the choice of
    20 Telekinesis
    1 Energy Sheild
    If you have a low mana build your not relying to heavily on ES to keep you alive. So why invest in Telekinesis? You could for example get 10 warmth and 10 telekinesis.

10. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

Minor question : How do they do in PvP?

11. TheCerberus

TheCerberus IncGamers Member

My mistake, I did mean lvl 1 meditation is superior.

Blizz sorcs I have found, can be used much better in PvP than orbers. I feel that orbers are a much better starter build, and a lot of people seem to grasp it easily. It has a wide range when it explodes, so you can make a mistake in aiming and still get hits in except in SvS. But when it comes to damage and the ability to knock people out, blizzard is my favorite of the two. Orb needs to explode exactly on the person to get the most damage, but Blizzard can hit, stun, and keep you down. As a bone necro, I did well against orbers, but Blizzers were more of a threat to me.

I like fireball sorcs the best though. :)

12. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

You have to factor in +skills and I also factor in the barbarian battle command because this is a sorc to run CS basically and climb the ladder with. In hc no one will do a cs run with bo so it makes sense to factor in that +1 all skills. With great gear you can wear a soj and get +3 skills, thats 5 ES (40%) right there. If you dont play alot and are pretty sure you wont get gear like that then it's ok to add 1 or 2 more points to ES. Ideal for this build is around 35% ES, but soj gives more mana so it rounds things out. 35-40% dmg redirected is a big deal. You'll have 1k+ life, 500 mana and a balanced ES. Those 35%-40% are worth the 20 points in telekinesis. You dont need to relly heavily on ES because you will have 1k+ life easily so its like having 1400 life
    Not so good for pvp due how elemental dmg works with ES. For pvp I recomend no ES, maxed Orb/ice bolt/mast, teleport and warmth. Stack cold res like crazy and use 90-95% maxed cold (iratha full set, hawkmail, dual fcr rings with cold res, 3saph shield, etc). You can tele non stop, melee chars shouldn't be able to catch you and other cold sorcs shouldn't hurt much.

13. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Nice guide... you beat me too it.
    Though I would also add a section about mf. My blizz sorc is doing hell andy/meph with almost pure mf gear on. She uses tanc armor/ ammy, mf boots/chancies/nagels/gold wrap/tarn/gul for kill/ward somtimes milbreagas
    She does fine in those places using moat trick to take out meph and I do get pretty nice drops having 400 mf.

14. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

This guide is stickied so Palm can write an update to it. Palm, when you are finished with the update I will unstick this one and close it with a redirect to the new one.

Go ahead and make a new post with the updated guide. You can copy and paste it into the new post and then make whatever changes you want to. That way, you don't have to re-write the entire thing.

15. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

Thanks for letting me revise the guide and for the link Dacar92. :thumbsup:

16. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

Revised 12/10/2005: Originally named this guide a blizzard sorc guide but the title is actually misleading. It's more of a vit sorc guide for hc with a suggestion that you use blizzard for damage. You could go with something else for damage and still follow this guide. The key IMO with sorcs is to find a balance between the life/mana you want and the correct % ES for that life/mana ratio. This guide attempts to find that balance at the high life/low mana end of the spectrum. I also try to achieve maximum survivability while maintaining good killing power. As far as the actual guide the only main flaw it in that I can think of is lack of faster hit recovery mod on my equipment section. fhr is also very important for the sorc who has the lowest base fhr speed and relies on a good fhr speed to tele out of nasty mob packs quickly - you should get as much of it as possible. Added a related link at the bottom. ///

About this build: Sorcs are one of the most fun chars to play and also the most fragile. Thus they are the most challenging and fun char to play in hardcore. They are hands down the char I played the most in my years of D2 classic.

Goal of this build: To make a sorc that is tough as nails and does good damage in hell. With this build you will be able to kill in hell 8 player games and teleport through the thickest packs of the toughest monsters in the game without fear. You will be able to make hot, open seals and kill vizir solo in an 8 player game in CS runs.

Why use Blizzard: Most sorcs are cold sorcs because A) it slows down enemies and B) most monsters in Chaos Sanctuary (end game xp zone) and Catacombs lvl 4 (best place to hunt for SOJ) are not cold immune. Blizzard is simply better than Orb IMO.

Stats:
    Str: 60 (for Frostburn)
    Dex: 51 (for Shard)
    Ene: base-75*
    Vit: rest

*From my experience I think 500, or a bit less, mana is the number you should aim for. More than that is nice but it's not really needed. Lets brake it down:

The sorc starts with 35 mana and gets +2 mana per lvl. At lvl86 this totals: 85 x 2 = 170 + 35 = 205. This guide calls for the use of Shard and Nightsmoke so thats + 70 = 275. With frostburns 275 + 40% = 385.

At lvl86 (where it starts getting tough), with base energy you have 385 mana. With another 80 you get 80 + 40% = 112 + 385 = 497.

IN CONCLUSION: you need +80 max mana from your items and/or stats.

Skills:
    Warmth: 1
    Static: 1
    Frozen Armor: 1
    Energy Shield: 1-2*
    Telekinesis: 20
    Cold Mastery: 20
    Blizzard and synergies: the rest

*Only 1 point in ES because this sorc has high life and low mana. With a +2 amulet and barbarian battle command you already have 35% dmg to mana, if you put more than 1-2 points here your mana will not be able to handle the dmg.

Equipment:
    Shard
    Nightsmoke (I like it for the 50% dmg to mana combined with energy shield. If you know how dmg to mana works you will see why this belt is great for this build.)
    Frostburns
    Rare Mage Plate: 350+ def, resists, life, mana, socket (using a soj) with Pruby
    Rare Grim Helm or other: def, resists, life, mana, socket with Pruby / Pruby helmet
    Rare Boots: 2 (fire/light) or 3 (fire/any 2) resists 35%+
    Rare Amulet: +skills prismatic w/ or w/o Faster Cast Rate (FCR)
    Rare Rings: FCR, resists, life, mana (rings+amulet must give 20% FCR to reach 70% overall)
    Shield: Low budget: 45%+ Ward (has more def/block than a 3d shield if you dont need the extra res), high budget: rare Grim Shield 200+ def, 30% faster block rate/20% increased block, prismatic, socket with Pdiamond.

How much Resistence you want: You should not seek simply to max all resists in hell. In CS runs you get the lower resists curse cast on you all the time, that knocks ~50% off all your resists. If Infector spawns with conviction or if another boss around him has conviction thats another ~70% off. If this happens YOU WILL NOT HAVE TIME TO REACT. It is simply too much damage for the sorc to handle. Fire res in particular you should try for as much as 120-130 stacked over max. Lightning you should also stack as much as possible, though fire comes first (fire and physical dmg are the main threats inisde CS). Cold you should simply max and poison not even that.

Ok, that about does her. Wraps her all up. With this build you will have everything you need: life, defense, resists, block, dmg and FCR. Great for lvling this the toughest areas of the game.

Energy shield explained.

17. fredsta54

fredsta54 IncGamers Member

Nice guide. However, like you have said, its highly orientated towards a hc cs blizz sorc. In the pvp scene, and sc, players might want to use diffirent gear.

As for pvp, personally, i like to go 110 fcr on my blizz sorcs and have a nice fat dmg ice blast that can be used for spamming =P

Fred

18. Palm

Palm IncGamers Member

Tks. If I played SC I'd prolly give myself more mana just to make life a bit easier but thats about it. I do fine with 70 fcr. Noobs love to compare damage but what they dont compare (or worry about), because it's not a number that you can say out loud, is how many seconds of lag they can survive. But there will be that one time when you lag and dont realize it right away or that time when shout and bc goes off but bo doesn't stick and you tele unbo'ed into some bad stuff...

19. Zodijackyl

Zodijackyl IncGamers Member

70fcr is plenty, I would only go for 110 fcr on a fireball sorc with very good gear. My current blizzer build is:

All vitality
    Maxed Blizz/CM/IceBlast/IceBolt
    18 Glacial Spike
    gear has been changing as i got more as the ladder season progressed:
    Shard/Twitch are nearly essential
    Shield: 17/30/20 20pris -20req 6mana (a simple 30/20 pris would work)
    Boots: 30frw 40cr 24fr hfd (fun for pvp, work well in CS)
    Ring 1: 10fcr 9min 20 20 30 resists
    Ring 2: 10fcr 8str 12dex 15lr
    Gloves: Dual stat, CR/LR (forget exact mods)
    Ammy: (this needs improvement) +1sorc 4rep 30cr 39fr (ideally +2 str pris)

For a CS sorc, I would want shard, fcr ammy, one fcr ring, one soj, Frostburn
    For a PvP sorc, I would want Shard, Magefist, 2 sojs, +2 pris ammy (no fcr needed)

I would skip frozen armors, theyre really just a waste. If you really need them, get them from a staff. If you save up some gold, buy a +2sorc +3energyshield staff from a merchant. Should save alot of points, and your damage will be much better. Static field is an option, as is warmth. Personally, I have no static and I'm waiting for level 93 to add to warmth (90 + 1/4 bar now)

~Steve

20. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

Just so you know, I found out after editing several SP chars that this doesn't work at all. Infact I wasn't able to lower down their HPs enough to kill most monster even using something more powerful than Telekinesis, like Nova i.e. This with 70 fcr, but I'm not sure more fcr will work either.
    But then, any single element Sorc is always team play aimed, so you'll have plenty of other chars around to kill Cold imunes...
    Overall good guide