Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Class idea: a bit of everything.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Grug, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Class idea: a bit of everything.

I whipped up a quick class-concept and some abilities, and I think it turned out well.

I call it the "Shifter", though it probably needs a better name. Unlike everyone else on here, I designed him with gameplay in mind.

Anyways, the Shifter can take on aspects of stuff, changing his body or creating effects. (haven't got the lore figured out). He focuses on both Melee and Bows, switching between them throughout the fight. All of his abilities are to promote mobility and move the enemy away. In addition, certain buffs behave differently depending on the weapon used (melee or bow).

The three trees are Animal, Metal, and Demonic. In no particular order...

Animal
    Ferocity: Buff to attack speed (nuff said)
    Bee Sting: A poisoned projectile spell.
    Owl eyes: SPECIAL BUFF! Melee: increased chance to dodge. Ranged: Much higher attack rating and maybe faster arrows.
    Fangs: A strong melee attack.
    Horns: A melee attack that knocks back the enemy.
    King's Roar: Ranged AoE, Stuns enemies.
    Swift Run: Temporarily move faster and have chance to dodge.
    Hide of the Elementals: SPECIAL BUFF! Melee: Resistance to Mez. Ranged: Elemental resistance.

Metal
    Steel Skin: Armor Buff. Damage Reduction.
    Saw Skin: Thorns Damage.
    Spears: A circle of spikes shoots out and hurts enemies around.
    Sharp: SPECIAL BUFF! Melee: Higher Crit Chance. Ranged: Arrows Pierce!
    Wall of Blades: A hold skill. A wall of spinning blades appears at target location and damages anything nearby. Persists while holding.
    Encase: Immobilize a single target and deal DoT cold.
    Scrap Orb: fires a projectile that splits when it hits an enemy. (could still tweak this).
    Song of Steel: Temporary aura, your weapons and party's weapons do more damage (eh, could tweak. wanted 8 for each)
    Shackles: SPECIAL SPELL! Melee: Slows target's attack speed. Ranged: Slows target movement speed. Nah. Just a simple slow of both. Perhaps AoE?

Demonic
    Suck Blood: Ranged life leech.
    Fire Breath: Cone of fire. Enough said.
    Pact Circle: Ranged AoE, Lightning or Arcane damage in a circle.
    Imps ("Call"?): This is a fun one. Summons demons that fight for you. However, their health constantly drains, so they will die within a few seconds. More like a weapon than pets.
    Screaming Spirit: Like Imps, a Screaming Spirit appears at target location, screams at enemies to do ranged damage, and then disappears after a few seconds. Like a turret.
    Fetid Slime: When you move, you leave behind a trail of poisonous slime. Like Blaze from d2, but with poison.
    Pincers: High Damage, High Mana reach melee.
    Hellfire: SPECIAL BUFF! Melee: regular attacks do damage to nearby enemies, Ranged: Arrows Explode.

K, it's definitely not finished, but I think some of the powers are unique and would work well. Naturally, you would be able to keep your special buff even if you change weapon, it's just that some are more useful for their weapons. "Mez" is a gaming term that means all the ways you can lose control of your character, like Fear, Stun, Immobilize, or Confuse.

some of the abilities need work, and I'm worried the 3 trees lack a theme. Besides a lore standpoint, does this seem like an interesting character to play?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Re: Class idea: a bit of everything.

Cough Cough

3. Matora

Matora IncGamers Member

Here you go.

4. VegasNick

VegasNick IncGamers Member

Another way to have a flexible character would be to have a Mimic. He could transform himself into different enemies that he has fought against previously taking on their attributes and using his skill trees to amplify their attacks. He could have one tree for a list of melee creatures and other for ranged. The other one could effect him when he was in human form. So in act 1 you would have less possibilities than in act 3. Talk about dangling a carrot in front of you. You couldnt wait til you got the chance to kill one of those burrowing monsters and turn into an ambush fighter against those pesky skeleton mages going right under the shield body guards. You know the less info we have, the more we get to speculate :smug:

5. VegasNick

VegasNick IncGamers Member

Hope this didnt seem off theme. It actually was inspired as I read your ideas

6. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

^^^ That idea wouldn't work. You're suppose to get your skills when you turn a certain level and put a point into it, not just by killing a specific monster. The mimic would end up with more or less skills than the other classes.

What about my class?

@ Matora: LOL.

7. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

I wish people would actually look at the category instead of just the frontpage.

8. Kalara

Kalara IncGamers Member

Don't really want to go into it again but myself and others have discussed the major difficulties in combining ranged and melee damage in one character build. To have a balanced ranged character you need to make the character weaker (they have to stay at ranged to stay alive and deal their damage.) You also don't want to spend valuable hack and slash time running back and forth between melee and ranged distance.

Aside from that there are some neat ideas in your character suggestion.

9. peasant

peasant IncGamers Member

I dunno... I still think it's workable if you use these principles:

1. Melee damage is higher than ranged damage.
    2. The class is too fragile (too low in hit points) to survive prolonged melee combat.
    3. Ranged abilities are cheaper than melee abilities.

By implementing this, the play style would be along the lines of attacking from afar to thin enemy numbers until they close in at which point the character switches over to melee combat.

10. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

I agree. Glass cannon. Of course, he can spec to be melee as well. Not to mention most of his abilities encourage ranged combat.

I look back and Demonic doesn't necessarily mean demons (I'm not a fan of classes using demon powers). The concept was really more along the lines of Al-Hazir. "Creatures of loathsome origin." Wouldn't be too hard to tweak, but some of the spells are great. Slime and Imps especially.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  11. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

It has potential and plenty of unique skills. I just think it would turn into "the other wizard" class.

12. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

That... is a possibility. Well, there's always the opportunity to add new skills. Maybe some more based on movement. Maybe Foe Teleport or something. Yeah, you click and enemies in the vicinity get ported to the same spot? Eh. Needs work.

I want to hear from more people!

13. Psyco

Psyco IncGamers Member

good class but most of these skill are really similar to some that already exist and some class arent really that different then what as already been announced...i dont get why so many people want more melee when melee in the current D2 are underplayed already...just look at how the barb was revamped seriously he kick *** and can he still be considered melee with skill with that kind of range :p

your idea is really nice for a shifter though first one i like a bit...but still a basic jack of all trade that do all in one....so he would be either overpowered=ton people playing him compared to other class that can do similar skill and then you would have other underplayed class OR underpowered=he would be alots less played since other class would do all of is stuff better :p

and dunno about demon in Diablo...some wiz tried in the lore to control demon and well they ended up serving them instead

14. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

They're similar? I tried to make them unique so as not to step on any class's toes.

Glad to hear you liked it. I actually made the class with "mobility" in mind, not just jack-of-all trades. The class can't do everything as well as others, but its strength comes from switching around. If you try to spam one skill, you'll do poorly.

15. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan IncGamers Member

Nice Concept, bland execution.

16. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Thanks for the bump.

17. mackemradge

mackemradge IncGamers Member

You're suggesting an 'Any other business' class here.

Basically all the skill ideas not necessarily related to each other lumped into one class. I like the shifter aspect, but your skills are too diverse to be effective. Nice idea but can I suggest that you narrow it down a bit and make it a specific class rather than a jack of all trades and master of none.

Less is more with this one IMO but nice idea nonetheless.

18. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Well, like I said it's about mobility. I don't think they're diverse, except for theme. But if you look purely at effect they work together pretty well.

19. ThulRasha

ThulRasha Diablo: IncGamers Member

It is much too unique.

The abilities are all way to different, making it very hard to imagine a single theme for the character (like you already said yourself, diveres in multiple themes). Wich will make it really hard for people to identify with the character and to think up a lore.

The lore would be like "This group of people traveled all over the world and took an interest into all the special techniques that no one else used very much".

It could still be fun to play. But I don't think this is what Blizzard is searching for Diablo3.

Your character concept could fit right in with Mythos (if that still existed) though.

20. Grug

Grug IncGamers Member

Too "unique" is not the term I would use. You probably mean "unfocused".

Besides, I KNOW that Blizz will never use this, so I'm not gonna bother fanwanking any more.

Thanks for the look, though.