Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Clarification on HC "Ladder"

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Tinfoot, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Clarification on HC "Ladder"

I've been playing off and on for the past couple years always Hardcore - you know the story... dedicated play for a couple months until I get deeply discouraged of dying to PKers and the ever re-occuring and dreaded Drunken Silly Mistakes (glutton for punishment, I suppose :p ). I dig the new patch changes, but wanted to clarify the "Ladder" option (I did a thread search but the resulting amount was fairly daunting...)

As a ladder character, is the ladder planned to reset/clear (I know many ladder setups do this on "seasonal" basis) and if so - what happens to the character/time period for the reset? Or is the Ladder standings fairly static until a toon dies/expires?

Totally appreciate the clarification aforehand! :)

2. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

Ladder option just means you have the opportunity to start afresh, totally from scratch and have a chance to be seen on the ladder.
    It is supposed to reset at regular intervals, but knowing Blizzard, this won't happen for about a year.

3. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

to continue on cleg's comments, even if (and that's a bold faced "if") Blizzard resets the ladder, they tend to dump ladder chars into nonladder, so if they reset things in 2 weeks, the new char you started would still be playable, just not ladder anymore. Also, the majority of players play ladder, so you'd be better off going ladder for more people to play with, etc etc.

4. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Good deal! Has the ladder been reset yet since 1.10's debut? Cor, if we are measuring via Blizzard's geological time scale.... LOL :p

5. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

No reset has happened since the 1.10 debut.

6. baalos

baalos IncGamers Member

This leads to an interesting follow up question. What has everyone done with their 1.09 gear? After a while I started a pretty nice collection of trinkets, of which now I find myself having to remember to refresh ever 90 days. I just cant get past the idea of trashing full tals set or nats or my windy, etc.

7. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

too late for me- i stopped playing d2 for a while (bout 6 months) and didn't bother keeping the mules alive... i figured i'd be doing ladder when i came back anyway, so i wasn't conciously thinking about the 1.09 stuff.

kinda wish i wouldn't but i forgot... oh well

8. BaNiSeR

BaNiSeR IncGamers Member

well, i had no choice in the matter.

when 1.1 went live i went through my muel accounts and combined the best of my best items on my main 1.09 chars. then zaped the rest of my muels and wam! i had a 1.1 ladder account and a 1.1 ladder muel account.

then about 92 days latter i remembered that i had to refresh my non 1.1 chars and oops! they had all expired ^_^

so i have no more 1.09 goodies lol

9. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Exactly the same thing here... LOL I played for a couple weeks when 1.10 came out but took a sanity break for 4 months (dinna know about the 90 day thing). Started up again last week, and :( Oooops Thats a lot of expired accounts

10. CoWa-Avatar

CoWa-Avatar IncGamers Member

I figure this way. If I am going to play ladder, and everyone else plays ladder. why keep stuff around that nobody will ever use? it is kinda pointless. I am not going to have all this uber gear and nobody to play with. I logged on my level 99 barb with all his insane stuff.. went to look for a hardcore hell game. NONE were there. so i got on my hardcore mule for non ladder.. 2 games were in normal. this leads me to conclude that all the 1.09 stuff i had is useless so i deleted the characters so i could remake guys for ladder with the same name
    :-D

11. det

det IncGamers Member

:scratch: I wonder what the policy behind Ladder is?

I mean..how hard can a reset be? Why the secrecy? Why not announce two 6 month ladder seasons per year?

If you really wanna compete for a top spot now, you have to PK the top guys first anyhow. Actually I think when you die on ladder, you should be removed completely. Whats the point of having a dead guy at No 1 or so?

12. Forbiddian

Forbiddian IncGamers Member

What ticked me off is that (at least in 1.09), all the dead guys showed up on top.

If there were say: 2000 level 99's, killing yourself off would guarantee a spot on the ladder, while the other 99's would have to randomly fight for spots even ON the ladder.

I think to be in the top 200 or so, you had to be a dead 99.

I guess Blizzard did it out of respect for dead 99's, but people started martyring their own guys.

13. keanu

keanu IncGamers Member

14. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

I still have all my 1.09 gear.

Don't know why, its not that good. I suppose I was waiting to see if the ladder reset too quickly and I was relegated to non-ladder before I had a chance.
    I might combine all my items to make each char the best possible then hostile everyone in every non-ladder game until they all die.

15. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Hmmm, tell truth, I vaguely remember reading that death does remove someone from the ladder now... But can't confirm that myself. Any HCL peeps that was listed who died?

16. keanu

keanu IncGamers Member

dying while ur on the ladder, doesnt remove u from it.
    i dont think they should remove u from the ladder, since u still did a great job to enter it, that is for now. (since the lowest lvl is lvl 93 @ europe ladder)
    and when the ladder just started, its useless to remove dead people, cause everybody lvl's so fast, that u'll be off it in a few days

17. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Your dead chars shouldn't be removed from ladder...
    Or yours can.
    Not mine though...she's still #2 on the sin page, and I like it better that way.

As for having to PK the top guys, that's just not true. You just have to wait for them to get bored, as they all do and will, except maybe greenwolf on east, that guys a machine. A rude, ineffcient machine, but a machine none the less ^^