Clarification needed with A5 barb merc

okey

Diabloii.Net Member
I read on another site that barb mercs get a dmg boost when using 1h as opposed to 2h..

so, is this true?

Act 5 merc gets massive bonus in damage if the sword is 1-handed. The formulae are grabbed from an old site. AB is down atm, so take with a grain of salt.

Act 5 merc with 1-H Sword formulae:
final_max_damage = [(base_weapon_max_damage * Eth * (1 + weapon_ED%)* 2 + base_merc_max_damage + max_damage*3 + normal_damage) * (1 + non-weapon_ED% + str/100 + skill_ED%) * DS + Bash_bonus + elemental_damage_max] * CS
final_min_damage = [(base_weapon_min_damage * Eth * (1 + weapon_ED%)* 2 + base_merc_min_damage + min_damage*3 + normal_damage) * (1 + non-weapon_ED% + str/100 + skill_ED%) * DS + Bash_bonus + elemental_damage_min] * CS

Act 5 merc with 2-H Sword formulae:
final_max_damage = [(base_weapon_max_damage * Eth * (1 + weapon_ED%) + base_merc_max_damage + max_damage + normal_damage) * (1 + non-weapon_ED% + str/100 + skill_ED%) * DS + Bash_bonus + elemental_damage_max] * CS
final_min_damage = [(base_weapon_min_damage * Eth * (1 + weapon_ED%) + base_merc_min_damage + min_damage + normal_damage) * (1 + non-weapon_ED% + str/100 + skill_ED%) * DS + Bash_bonus + elemental_damage_min] * CS

1-H vs 2-H formulae:
For 1-H, there is an additional factor of 2 after (1 + weapon_ED%), and the min_damage / max_damage is multiplied by 3 instead of 1

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Hm, I always thought it was better to use 2-handers.

It could be well be true, as I was impressed how well a barb merc of mine did with an ethereal Bloodmoon.

mir

Diabloii.Net Member

GalaXyHaXz

Diabloii.Net Member
It's a good thing you brought this up. I've actually heard of this years ago when I played on Bnet. Someone told me they used a Headstriker on their Act V merc and they said it does the most damage. I thought they were full of it.

So without digging through the code, I performed a test case to see if this is really true.

Merc - Act V level 79
Weapon - Plain Conquest sword/Balrog Blade (same speed)
Monster - Hell cow

Cows are set to have a fixed life of 3000. The swords are set to always do their average damage (45 for conquest, 86 for balrog). The merc's stats were fixed as well. Therefore, every hit dealed out the exact same damage on a monster with the same life.

Balrog Blade - 7 hits average, occasionally 6
Conquest Sword - 5 hits average, occasionally 4

After testing against multiple hoards, the results always checked out. Looks like the verdict, in this test would prove that 1 handed weapons indeed do more damage!

ioupainmax

Diabloii.Net Member
The Basin shows:
The weapon damage of one-handed swords is doubled (this includes Minimum Damage and Maximum Damage bonuses, but excludes Damage + like that of the Grief Rune Word). [1] Two-handed swords apply their Two-Hand Damage.

Link

okey

Diabloii.Net Member

it would seem an eth headstriker would be the best all-round damaging weapon.
an eth cryptic sword voice of reason would also be a good substitute.