US HC East Clan Mumble Server Interest?

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator
I've been approached by some clan mates regarding the setup of a clan Mumble server (or Vent or whatever). My personal choice would be Mumble because it's the only one I've ever used and it seems to be fairly popular right now.

Trying to gauge interest. I believe we already have somebody interested enough set it up and even to pay the monthly fee ($5?).

We would be setting it up for INC HC East to start, possibly also setting up rooms for West & North. This could serve (pun intended) as a pretty cool extension of clan chat.

Malaterre

Diabloii.Net Member
Just to mention that a Mumble server is cheaper than a Teamspeak or Ventrilo one.

I think it is mostly related to the fact that Mumble is open source and does not require to pay a fee to use the server program. In Europe, a 30 slots Mumble server costs around 1 euro per month. You could probably have a 150 slots server for $5/month. A TeamSpeak server is 10 times more expensive with my actual provider.

darkrealm

IncGamers Site Pal
Yeah not a fan of TS. I would donate to putting this together. We used to have one on Softcore but I have no idea who's it was... Mumble or vent is fine either way.

ZappaFan

Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator
The only thing I'm wondering about, and this is because I've only used Mumble a few times, what's it like when you have a whole bunch of people on at once? Clan chat can get a little crazy during prime time sometimes, what's all those voices going to be like? Do they have sub rooms where people that are teaming up can go to so they're not getting mixed in with all the chatter of the rest of the clan?

darkrealm

IncGamers Site Pal
I think they do. Otherwise it would be useless for us. Vent has channels makes it a bit easier...but whatever is good with me.

Malaterre

Diabloii.Net Member
The only thing I'm wondering about, and this is because I've only used Mumble a few times, what's it like when you have a whole bunch of people on at once? Clan chat can get a little crazy during prime time sometimes, what's all those voices going to be like? Do they have sub rooms where people that are teaming up can go to so they're not getting mixed in with all the chatter of the rest of the clan?
Typically, Mumble becomes a mess when you have more than 10-15 persons using the same channel. You can create as many channels as you want so that people in a group can use their own channel (you call them Party1, Party2... and so on). Even with that, you generally need several (and not just one) channels for general discussion: 50 persons chatting in the same channel while they are soloing would indeed be painfull.

I do not know how many people will use the mumble but, if it becomes popular, it would be simpler to have a server per clan (or separate channels for the different clans).