Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

CL/Orb PvM Mini guide

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Nathanjk, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

CL/Orb PvM Mini guide

I have seen other guides but from my personal experience they didn't have it quite right. I have done alot of trial and error until I found what was the best in terms of survivablility and killing power. This build can run 8 players baal solo in under 8 minutes which I dont know if anything outside the hammerdin can do consistantly(but the CL orb sorc is more fun). If you want to see sub par items there are other guides for that. If you have all the items you need and just want to know what to use this guide is for you.

Skills
    20 frozen orb
    1 cold mastery

20 Lightning
    20 Chain lightning
    20 Lightning mastery
    1 in tele
    I have 1 in mana shield but I wish I could take it back
    1 in static field
    1+ the rest into charged bolt.

1 in warmth

I almost never have problems with immunities as orb does well itself. Anything else my merc has always been able to handle.

Equipment:
    Helm: Griffons eye. This is a must. I use a -25/19 but if you dont want to spend as much just worry about the -25. Even a -25/13 would be fine. This adds 25% to your damage effectively and more vs other monsters.

Ammy: This is more difficult. I use a 3 to lightning skills 10% fast cast. If you want to use maras or tals instead or cant find an ammy like this one then you will need more fast cast somewhere else.

Armor: Coh is your best option by far. It has mega resists, DR, and a bit of MF to name a few. The next best option is an uped umed vipermagi. If you have this you can reach the next break point. I like the CoH more because it frees up resists and adds needed DR. You may think that a CL ormus would be better, trust me its much worse. The plus damage only adds to mastery which is already at around 400% so it does little. My lightning damage actually went down with my 15% CL ormus with 5/-3 facet when I took my CoH off.

Shield: SS is your best option here also by far. Max block and DR will help you out alot esp if you want to do those solo 8 player hell games. Anything else is a waste in my opinion. Socket it with a p diamond or a UM if that extra 3% resist is needed (It wasn't for me).

Weapon: Occy is your best choice. I started out with a 3/19 eschutas but the added benifit was so low when compared to the Occys MF and esp resistances. If you are still low in resistances socket with a 15% res all jewel (they only cost about an um). If you find that you can make up for those resistances in your stash then socket with a 3/-5 facet (most efficient). Again this -5 res adds at a minimum 5% to your damage but more if they have high res.

Belt: Arach mesh is really the only option. Verd hearty cord can be used but the skills and fast cast are really needed in this build. Only use verd if you keep dying.

Rings: 2 Sojs the mana is really needed. If you cant quite come up with these 3% bks are cheaper which will just force you to get mana through stats or elsewhere.

Gloves: If useing Vipermagi and aiming for 120% fast cast then use trangs gloves. Otherwise your options are fairly open here. I use a pair of 40% chance guards but if you dont want the MF then use bloodfists or resistance gloves. If you are unable to afford sojs magefists should probably be used here.

Boots: I prefer war travelers again for the mf. Another good option here is aldurs boots. Fire resist and life are a great help.

Weapon switch. CTA and Lidless.

Charms: 6 or 7 lightning charms. I prefer 6 so I can use a gheeds and use tomes. All of them should have life on them if you can afford it. Use one Anni. SCs under your GCs should give enough resistances to max you out with the remaining area devoted to Life, mana or both.

Merc: Defiance is probably best here. I use stone armor with vamp gaze and Doom polearm. I have not found a better setup thus far. If you can't afford the doom then use a holy freeze merc. You need the holy freeze to slow then enemies down.

Stat points:
    Str varies depending on what stats your anni gives. Use just enough so that you reach 156 for your SS after equip.

Dex keep your block maxed when you get the SS. It should end up around 200.

Energy shouldn't have many points. You may want to save some points up and try to hit 800 mana after all of your equip and battle orders.

Vita has all remaining points.

Strategy. I wont give a leveling strategy just to say that you should max orb first then go to the lightning skills. Im sure you know how to level a char though.

For normal PvM tele around a fair amount to keep from being overrun. Dont tele too much however, let your merc do his job in keeping the monsters away from you. Use CL alot in small games and with many spread out monsters. In large games switch to lightning in most cases. It drains less mana as well as killing off individual monsters quickly then finish up strays with CL.

Dont be scared to use the range of your lightning. Back off a bit and and shoot in the direction you came from.

I hope this has helped a few people out. I know some will complain that they dont have the resources to afford this but I will leave that to other guides.
    I have learned many lessons from playing my CL/Orb sorc so I thought I would share my experiences and maybe help someone out.

2. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

Excelent, with all the questions answered that I needed to know. I have most things already and I'll work towards the items you have listed. Also, how do you go in Baal runs with no Light Absorb?

3. Nathanjk

I very rarely die. I just have maxed resists and over 1100 life with BO. If I play it safe and tele enough I dont die.

4. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

have you people looked at the guides thread?!?!? There is the CL/Orb guide from M0nk which is about a few pages long and really covers all you need to know.
    This short version is sweet too though...

5. Nathanjk

Well I have seen his guide but there were things I disagreed with him on. For poorer players I thought his was fine but he seemed to lack the good content for richer players which is why I focused on that. I wanted people with the best items to know where they should put there skills and what to use for equip.

Highlighted differences are.
    1 point in cold mastery.
    Griffons is practically a must use.
    CoH is the best armor by far.
    I also dont remember him addressing how in facets the -5 is very important but the plus to skill damage on items and facets is nearly worthless. I was disappointed when my 20% CL ormus actually gave me less damage than the CoH.

Im not saying my guide is better or worse but more suited to a different audience.

6. Purri

Purri IncGamers Member

To be honest, when your using stormshield does the 8dr from CoH matter? i rather reach the next fcr breakpoint.. :scratch:

7. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Yes, the importance of -xx% elemental resistances on items and skills has come to the attention of most not so long ago. His guide is a bit older *g*
    Between, adressing this to the richer audience is surely a good idea :)

What i dont get though is why you would put only 1 point into CM. As you say yourself, -xx% resistance is the one thing that amplifies your actual damage output even more! So at least getting 8 points so that you will have lvl18 CM or lvl20 will get you the ~-100% cold resitance marker.

Getting as many facets as you can is surely the goal for the richer player :D
    Also damage added through -xx% resistances is more + than just the value.

I see also that your guide is more focused towards maxing the Lightning damage as Orb should be doing fine by itself.
    its good to see someone emphasizing a bit more on the huge benefot of -xx% resistances on items :thumbsup:

8. Nathanjk

Thanks for the complement. I only put one into cold mastery because it becomes around 11 with plus skills. This has always been enough for me to kill any lightning immunes I face. Everything else I use lightning or chain lightning for. In monks guide he advises alternating spells. While this looks good from the frozen orb perspective I dont want to take away any casts of lightning.

So yea I say only one in mastery as the extra points in lightning synergies really helps.

I realize that the - res is mor than plus the value but its hard to say what it is as different monsters have different resistances. I use it as plus the value just as a very conservative estimate which by itself justifies their use.

Purri: Its not only for that. I like the resistances that it provides. Also to hit the next breakpoint (which I have tried) I had to give up 65 MF from chance guards and the coh.

Here was my thinking as I developed my sorc. After trying items like the ormus and eschutas it hit me. If I am able to use the items with resistances I can free up my stash for skill charms that would increase my damage more than what the increase in damage I could do with the other items would add. In my opinion if you are soloing big games you need to max resistances and also then the extra 8% dr does help.

This isn't the only way to make this sorc its just what I have found through trial and error to work the best for me.

9. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

how many of these have you made?

10. Jayman450

Jayman450 IncGamers Member

What skill do you use to kill bosses like meph? Lightning? And how well does it work.

11. Nathanjk

I use lightning for bosses after I static them down. Its not as fast as other ways but with alot of -res it doesn't work too bad.

How many have I made. This is my first CL/Orb sorc but it is my 5th sorc thats reached lvl 80 overall. I have experemented alot with frozen orb until I have come to my conclusions. I also have tried on loads of different kinds of equipement until I found the optimal setup. I personally cant think of what else I cant test.

12. m0nk

m0nk IncGamers Member

It's true I did focus on poorer players because I figured most of the richer players already knew what worked and what didn't and would very likely not have to read my guide past the skill allotment. :) Plus, at the time I wrote it, I just started the ladder so I was poor myself.

Good guide though, CL/FO is definately a different build that is tough until you figure it out.

13. Nathanjk

Well I spent money trying to figure out the perfect equipment and I thought I would save others time and money by having this resourse.

14. Nathanjk

Well I have an update. I decided to switch out my chance guards for magefists ammy for a high maras and armor for per uped viper with a 4/-5 facet. This made things a bit easier in big games but give less magic find. I am still able to keep max resists with charms however. Also I found it very important to max my mercs resists as he died about half the time on the third wave of baals minions.

I also am now using a 19/19 wisp projector. I only seemed to die one in 8 to 10 runes but I wanted to reduce that and add a tad bit of mf.

At the moment Im just hoping to craft an ammy with 2 to all or lightning skills 17+ fast cast and resists. Some life and mana wouldn't hurt either. Know how hard that will be I think the maras will work for now.

15. Tanatus

Tanatus IncGamers Member

Good guide and my 2cp about FO
    Since its been my primary attack for so many builts I can just agree with author of this tread. ~slvl 29-30 FO and ~slvl12-13CM will make FO decent killing instrument ... but not primary weapon mind you. Just kinda wonder how essential have SS - can you get away with Umed/PDiamonded Whitstans guard? its requied a bit less dextr for max block. With 120+FCR/75% block/maxed resistances virtually no risk to die to anything at WS but black souls and small chance to those frenzy minotaurs and since you have wisps it should not be problem no?

16. Nathanjk

Well I think that the souls damage are a combination of lightning and physical damage if I remember right. When you are down there alone in games 5 or bigger that extra DR really helps.