Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Civilization 4 announced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Darnoc, May 18, 2005.

1. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Civilization 4 announced

I just heard about the announcement that civ4 is under development and I saw some initial pictures in pc gamer mag, but I could not find a release date; anyone know when it might come out?

I played the first 3 civs religiously with all other their addons, along with alpha centauri and colonization. Anyone else around these forums waiste a good part of the last deacde on this series like I have?

2. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

allow me to briefly troll

can a tank still be defeated by a board with a nail in it?

3. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

lol, not since the first civ as far as I remember. They're supposed to make the multiplayer option more efficient and play faster too from what I read; no more waiting for each player to finish their turn before someone else can start playing.

4. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i played civilization 2 and i have also tried alpha centauri nice games overall but they didn't grab my attention that much.

5. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

I got really addicted to Civilization 2 for about a year and a half. Unfortunately, all the civilization games carry the same basic premise which I'm pretty much tired of. I got Civ 3 back in January, but I was mostly bored of it within a couple months. The hardest levels were just too hard, and the earlier levels were too easy. I also disliked the changes that they made to the bombers, missiles, catapults, etc., because they seem next to useless now that they can only barely hurt a unit rather than actually destroying it, and even that fails half the time. They also can't defend themselves if attacked... as far as I'm concerned, it made the game a bit too 1-dimensional.

6. DaviddeJong

DaviddeJong IncGamers Member

Civ 2

Is it coming out? Great!

I'm still playing Civ 2 (ever since it came out, 10 years or so). Yeah, I know, I'm addicted! (I skipped Civ 3 entirely; I thought it sucked.....)

My girlfriend isn't too happy with this news; she knows I'm
    gonna buy it the moment it comes out and I'll only stop playing untill after I've kicked 6 opponents' ass on Diety!

If it's got decent balanced gameplay like Civ 2, that is!

David.

7. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I agree, I loved catapults, missles, etc in civ 1 and 2, but I feel some of the changes were more realistic, they should have kept missles stronger though. A civ 3 expansion did have the multiplayer option which rocked, but took soo much time. There were a number of other nicer options in civ3 though including more units and better graphics, but yes the tougher difficulty levels are quite hard.

Honestly, I've barely played since starting on d2 last summer :) I will get civ 4 of course.

8. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Lets hope it will be more like Civ2 than Civ3!
    Civ2 was, and still is THE turnbased strategy game. Gosh, I've played that for many hours, and still doing it. Hope all those strategies of mine will not be too far away from decent in Civ4! :p

9. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

I find it interesting that so many of you did not like civ3 and preferred civ 2 instead. Is it the game play? Did civ3 get too complex do you feel? I thought civ3 was an improvement over civ2 in graphics, government options, game rule changeability, and it has mutliplayer if you bought the play the world, or conquests addon packs.

Yes they changed the rules interms of settlers only for building cities, rushing wonders, catapult/artillery, and the difficulty levels were kinda skewed, but I still preferred this version. Maybe just cause it looks prettier :) I'll hafta go reinstall civ2 so I can remember all of the differences.

10. publius

publius IncGamers Member

Civ II and Alpha Centauri ate up so many hours of my childhood. I never really got into Civ III that much, though.

Does anyone know if Civ IV is being developed by Sid Meier?

11. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

I feel sorry for Sid Meier. I bet he only wanted to make one Civ game.

He's probably locked in some studio somewhere, forced to create more and more complex Civ games...

12. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Well, for a while he was busy creating one of the best games that no one played.

Pirates.

13. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

I'm currently playing a mod for civ3: conquests that recreates the Great War. I'm playing as Germany and I've captured 80% of France, 40% of Serbia, all of Poland, most of the Ukraine and destroyed the British Navy.

I hope they have more historically based scenarios in Civ 4.

14. Nword

Nword Banned

I'm still busy playing Alpha Centauri when I don't have anything else I feel like doing. :D

Supposedly Civ4 will be much more moddable, but I doubt will enable a mod that is an improved version of Alpha Centauri... :(

Firaxis probably will make a AC2, but there's no guarantee it will live up to the first one.

15. Namyeknom

Namyeknom IncGamers Member

Thats only because he escaped. Best summer of his life. You do realise Pirates is more of a documentary of Sid's crazy summer, than a game...

16. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Sid has creative control over civ 4, but has left the day-to-day managing to an underling at fireaxis. He's currently also directing the design of some other new game as well.

17. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

I did not see a release date in this link, but it was a pretty good interview with pictures.

18. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

I posted/read at the Civ forums, my perspective comes from games that involve AI Civs. I didn't think Civ3 was overall worse, but I definitely saw areas where they made it worse and could make a Civ2 fan cringe.

Crazy Corruption. They fixed this for the most part (IMO), but when Civ3 was 1st released *excessive* overpowered corruption only slowed down the later part of the game when things became more boring enhancing micromanagement in areas that no one enjoyed.

Your Land is My Land. This didn't bother me as I found it minor and manageable, but it drove some players mad that even neutral/friendly AI Civs would constantly have troops walk across their land without their permission, much less a Right-of-Passage agreement.

No Real Balance of Power. In Civ2, the AIs always knew the leading player was a serious threat. In Civ3, it's as if only humans know there are ways to WIN the game while the AI plays as if it's just some never-ending SimCity simulation never seeking to stop anyone from winning. In Civ3 I had the AI let me finish my spaceship for the win for mere Ivory! Obviously turning off spaceship and other possible wins doesn't solve this problem. The AI Civs will fight each other or weak humans over a little piece of land rather than teaming up against the leader (typically human) who has growing legions of armies taking over most the world. It's ridiculous. In SP, once a human becomes the dominant/leading player the game is over. This was the worst aspect to me and finally made me stop playing. Increasing the difficulty level only makes the beginning more difficult. This is why many players found the later half of Civ3 boring, but the beginning tons of fun.

AI Strategy. Perhaps I expected too much for a Civ3 AI or just got better at noticing AI weaknesses, but it didn't take me long to discover how to even use the "AI's cheating methods" against the AI. The AI would have better without many of them IMO. The AI also seems to change it's mind for each turn... if it would only hold on to a plan for even 3turns it could do better... it's so indecisive with it's military you can easily turn it on it's head. Oceans/Islands make the AI even more feebleminded. The AI isn't the best with hiring/using it's varied units either. I love all the Civ3 political/diplomatic options, but at the same time the AI comes no where close to a human in how to optimize them against other players so the human again gets more of an advantage in the long run. But you can turn off all AIs and go MP online, still a good game IMO.