Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Civil Rights and Sex Offenders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Apr 8, 2005.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Seemingly well intentioned, but I don't like it. Maybe if it didn't go into effect in less than a month, and only targeted those who had priors involving children I might ok with it, but this makes no sense. Some criminals are bank robbers, should we restrict all criminals from being near banks?

3. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

What are your opinions?

Personally, I do not believe there is any such thing as a reformed sex offender. This article seems to target offenders of all types, not just child molesters. But, if left up to me? Yes, keep them away from schools. If really, really left up to me? Never, ever release sex offenders back into society again. EVER.

So yeah...too bad if their constitutional rights are violated. Seems to me they tore up their constitution cards when they became a danger to society.

4. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

My opinion...I don't want ANY sex offender living near a school. I don't want one living any where near me. Luckily, there are sites that tell you the names and addresses of these offenders so you know. Let them live in the boonies with the animals...don't let them near children whatsoever.

I didn't get the impression that the bill would target non sex offenders. A rapist is a rapist..an exhibitionist is an exhibitionist..those as well as child molestation are the target of the bill.

Here is the link that is available to my county: http://www.co.summit.oh.us/sheriff/sexoffenderdisclaimer.htm

I guess I stepped on someone's constitutional rights when I posted a sign saying that a sex offender lived in the next building. Shortly after posting that..and alerting the landlady to it, he moved.

5. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I agree. We, as a society, restrict the civil rights of convicted felons on a regular basis, even after their release. States remove their right to vote, to bear arms, and allow employers to discriminate against them in hiring practices. I am not sure of the constitutional grounds under which the law in Tennessee was found illegal (and I generally charge for such research :uhhuh: ,) but I don't see how the restriction of housing location is very different.

6. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

One of the issues raised in the article was that such a law might hinder a sex-offender's chance at a secure, stable life, and thus we might presume that this would increase the rate of repeat offense. If it doesn't actually solve a problem, there's no point. Also, if they've served their time, they've paid. If they need to pay more or they're still dangerous, keep them locked up. I don't think they should be punished for crimes they haven't committed.

It would be less wrong if they were encouraged to leave and compensated financially if they did so, rather than if they were simply evicted.

7. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I'm not that liberal about this, unfortunately. There have been too many cases of supposedly cured offenders eventually taking and killing a child, after sexually tormenting them first. One single case is too many.

There is no way to know for sure that anyone is cured of anything, and the risks to others aren't worth the rehabilitation costs, financially and spiritually.

So, like I said, never let them back out in the first place. Problem solved. They can offend each other in jail.

8. Bumster

Bumster IncGamers Member

bit over the top

First off, hi I'm Dante from Australia.

"Personally, I do not believe there is any such thing as a reformed sex offender."
    - Is that based on anything past those nasty people on L&O:SVU?

Here's a couple of (Australian) stats from our Institute of Criminology:
    * 74% of sexual assaults are committed by people known to the victim (family members or known non-relations)
    * The peak age for commission of sexual assault for male offenders from 2002-2003 was 15-19

I'm 19 at the moment, and I already look at back at things I did when I was 15 with a sense of surprise that I was ever that stupid. If I'd gotten drunk at 15 and had non-consentual sex I think that now I'd like to be getting my life back on track rather than living out in the wilderness or in jail for the rest of my life.

More to the point, the bill's ridiculous. If I'm preparing to go to a school and kidnap and molest a child, I don't think having to walk more than 300m is gonna put me off.

9. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Yeah, this stuff just rubs me the wrong way. I understand that parents are terrified of their kids falling into the sinister clutches of some pedophile stranger, but, like the above poster said, it is usually from within the family.

I just get the icky feeling of a mob scene developing with this sort of post-punishment punishment or suggesting that they be imprisoned forever and such.

And MixedVariety, honestly, one single case of a convicted sex offender offending again is enough reason to imprison them forever?

For those who care, my grandfather (may he rest uncomfortably in hell) was a sex offender, caused all sorts of problems with our family, but that doesn't make me so enraged that I believe that all sex offenders should be locked away and forgotten for all of eternity regardless of circumstances. I think this is just one of those instances where it just hits the wrong nerve in parents everywhere and causes them to want blood whether it is justified or not.

10. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Just food for thought: We find an excuse to violate civil rights of one group this one time and justify it. Then it's another group. And another. And then where does it stop?

11. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Awww, Anakha, so much to object to and you resort to the cliched slippery slope? Heh, come on man, think, be original!

12. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Good intentions. But overly broad. Looks like the legislature got a little greedy is putting out punishment. They should have known better.

There's a big difference between statutory rape and molestation, with no link between the two. Yet both are equally penalized since both are sex-crimes. Same argument can be made for regular rape crimes.

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Eh, I just woke up and I'm feeling lazy. But it occured to me that often the ones who complain the most for civil liberties (not saying Mixed is one of those) are the ones most willing to take them away from people they find offensive. Once a person has served his debt to society in prison he should be considered a free man in all respects.

14. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

I do not retract what I said. I realize, of course, that I approach this from a parental point of view, and indeed most of my opinions are directed toward pedophiles. My views will seem necessarily harsh to those who do not have children, I suppose. I freely admit to blind anger whenever I hear of a helpless child tortured and/or killed by such nutbags.

Mentally ill criminals, be they sociopaths, psychopaths or other, are in my viewpoint incurable. There is no way to ever know for sure that they will not repeat their crimes. Violation of civil rights as it may be, I believe the only way to keep them from committing more crimes is to keep them in jail. Is it likely to happen? Of course not. So yes...requiring sex offenders to register with the local authorities and live a certain distance away from schools does not seem to me at all unfair.

Anakha, there is no way I can answer your question, as you well know. It's along the lines of "So, did you enjoy cheating on your wife? Yes, or no?"

15. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I think that the term "sex offender" got the law in trouble. They should have limited the term to "pedofile."

16. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

hmm. statutory rape laws are too strict imho. the law allows someone 18 to have relations with someone 53, but not someone 25 to have relations with someone 17. These days, you can go to down to champaign and there will be high school girls in bars because they can borrow big sis's ID. could get a guy my age in some serious trouble. even a 19 year old with a 16 year old could get in big trouble. Then to be labeled for life as a sex offender? I think only those who actually rape sopmeone should be on this list--so just these numbers above worry me(assuming aussieland mirrors the US).

Part of the problem is figurring out what the purpose of prison and these laws are. I like to think people are in prison to be rehabilitated...if it's determined that that's not possible, then heck, lock them up forever. If they can be then, well, let's let them back out.

Now, that all said. If you actually rape someone--especially a little kid, there's likely something pretty messed up upstairs and I don't think they should be letting these people roam the streets. Really, what sort of danger a person represents should be determined by the parole boards. Perhaps if they had more time ot look into these cases they could make better decisions.

I think the punishment should fit the crime, if you're a college kid who got to second base with your high school aged girlfriend or boyfriend at their senior prom, you shouldn't be ridiculed for life. If you're a middleaged perv who molests a kid you should be shipped to australia :)

17. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Some people think war protesters are a danger to society. Steve thinks black people are a danger to society. Hell, some people think walmart is a danger to society.

Where does it end? Do we really want to start evaluating who gets constitutional rights based on how worthy the legislature thinks they are?

The constitution protects the unpopular, the unworthy, and the powerless. Although I am not particularly tolerant of sex offenders, I want more information. Constitutional rights are above the legislative process for a reason. Taking constitutional rights is a path to exploitation and abuse.

Garbad

P.S. Personally, I think mandantory castration is the answer. And then 25 years of being Big Eddie's girlfriend -_-

18. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

just going to let everyone know he means the other steve.

seriousyl i don't think that would work for those who are real threats to kids...it's a psychological problem. they'd just use some "implement" and that would likely cause more harm to the kids.

19. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Come on, Garbad. War protesters aren't a danger until they actually impede or injure someone. Racists aren't any harm unless they actually take action against those they hate and injure them somehow. Anyone can think anything they like; it's actions that determine a person's character, not what they think. A person can lust all they like for little girls or boys, but as long as they don't do anything it doesn't matter and who's to know?

Sex offenders are people who have already taken some criminal sexual actions against another human; otherwise, they aren't offenders yet, are they?

20. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Not to put words in his mouth, but I believe he was referring to people who have been convicted and incarcerated as being a danger to society. Not just anybody. Constitutional rights don't guarantee someone where they can buy a home. The legislature's job is to determine what constitutes breaking a law. We could just let everyone run around completely free and let them do as they please, but that would hardly be a pretty picture. I think there has to be a happy medium.

I am with Mixed with this one. I feel that anything...and I mean anything that poses any kind of risk to the kids has to be kept as close of watch and control as we possibly can.