Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Circus Skills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Eronak, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

Circus Skills

Hey Hey,

I have been recently (last few months) been really getting into juggling, it's really fun and since I always seem to be pretty worn out after a serious session I am assuming some kind of health advantage too. I plan to join my university circus skills society next semester and get into some other circus skills too (my dissertation can wait), I really wanna give Diabolo (the hourglass looking thing, not the big red dude we all know and love) another try I did it when I was about 11 for a bit, but not very well.

I was reading the forum recently and noticed a few people into pen spinning and I think that D2 players are the circus types so who else does any circus skills, if you do then what? and how long have you been at it?

Rich

2. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

We had an Arts week thing at school about 10+ years ago now. You could do the normal art type things but there was also a circus tent and you could learn circus skills too.

I learnt to juggle!

I can do 2, 3 and 4 balls (4 quite badly though). I'm very good with three balls.

Um... sounds a bit strange that...

KnightFall

3. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

Juggling with 4 is proving tricky, I can do maybe 15 catches and then I have to pick my balls off the ground...

Theres so much scope for inuendo here :D

4. KnightFall

Do you do 4 with 2 in each hand or all 4 together?

I can't master either way...

KnightFall

5. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

I do two in each hand, my right can handle it but my left hand has a tendancy to wander off on its own

6. KnightFall

I think that is you can do three well, then doing five will be easier than four. I'm going to have to try this out later now...

KnightFall

7. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've been into diabolo since last november and balls since march or something like that

3 balls - forever
    4 balls - Endurance is boring, stopped at 500 catches
    5 balls - Haven't mastered yet but I tend do get around 50 catches

But diabolo is my favorite. You can say that I am at intermediate level with both 1 and 2 diabolos. It is great fun. Me and a pal are going to EJC (European Juggling Convention) this august to watch some world class juggling.

A shame that there are so few diaboloists in sweden, there are tons in the rest of europe.

Oh and believe me, transition from 3-4 is alot easier than 3-5
    A thing you can do to practice 5 balls with 3, is to either do the chase. Where you throw 3 balls from one hand to the other and continue doing that, and ofcourse all throws should be the same so they "chase" eachother. Or you can toss up all 3 balls so you have empty hands for two beats, and continue doing so. Kind of like damdamdam -- damdamdam --- damdamdam. Dam being a throw ;)
    Or in siteswap language. 555005550055500

8. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

A friend of mine is going on a trip around europe and stopping off at EJC along his way. Have u ever tried http://jugglinglab.sourceforge.net ? It's a cool program I came accross, it animates siteswap, it's pretty cool.

Any advice for a wannabe diaboloer?

9. Dolph

Dolph IncGamers Member

Learn to accelerate your diabolo well. Wrapped orbits is the best for one diabolo.
    Learn the basics first, like trapeze and regular suicides before trying on the harder things.

Some fancy links are:
    www.diabolo.ca/forum (a bunch of topclass diaboloers atend this site, Matt Hall for one, they can give you all the information you possibly can need, be sure to search before asking, since many things have been answered in full already. Sean Anderson created this site, and he is praised for it by non french speaking diaboloers, as this is the only english speaking forum created only for diabolo.)
    www.diabolotricks.com (your best friend in the beginning)

those two should be plenty for getting a good start in the world of diabolo.

Oh, and good diabolos you should get(one kind is enough ;)) are Finesse Generation 2 from Mr. Babache, Circus from Henry. Another popular one is Harlequin from Mr. Babache but for a beginner I suggest one of the 2 earlier mentions. Oh and Henry Jazz is also worthy to be mentioned but still, finesse and circus. well worth the money.

Good Luck

10. Eronak

Eronak IncGamers Member

I had a quick look around those websites and they look really great, I think I might order myself a Henrys Circus diabolo from Oddballs today. I will let you know how I get on.

11. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member