Choices choices

ADSL

Diabloii.Net Member
Choices choices

It looks like my current and longest break from d2 ever, is coming to a stop.
Im sick and tired of waiting for a reset im beggining to doubt will ever come, so when a old buddy of mine said he would gear my first char i saw no other option than to jump on that.

After alittle soul searching i decided it would plan a fireball pvp sorc, which ill use as primary pvm char aswell.

Now i have never made a high lvl pvp fireball sorc before, only played mid and low lvls versions.
As i see it i have 3 choices for build:

Max block with Es
Max block no Es
No block with Es.

Each of these has its own limitations in what they would match up nicely against. Though i dont see that many matchups turn in my favor, from no Es to Es, max block. I just see the no Es variant as a slightly more glasscannon version of the max block with Es.

Gear:
I dont have many limitations in gear choices, but i dont think i cant count on fire skillers with 30+life, or perfect anni+torch.
Its too early for me to decide what sockets i want yet, that would get me even more confused, so ill just stick to the basic gear for now.

The Max block gear:
Helm: Shako
Weapon: Eschuta's Temper or Hoto
Shield: Stormshield
Armor: Vipermagic
Gloves: magefist
Boots: Waterwalks
Belt: Arachnid Mesh
Amu: Mara
Rings: A choice between the obvious choices: wisp/soj/ravenfrost.

Switch:
Cta + Spirit monarch.

Biggest choice in this build got to be the weapon. Its pretty much a dmg vs resist question. and might come down to a "game time decision" depending on sockets and the likes. But i would like to hear all suggestions.
Only thing thats set in stone is 105 fcr minimum.

The No block build:

Helm: Shako
Weapon: Eschuta's Temper or Hoto
Shield: Spirit or phoenix Monarch
Armor: Coh or Vipermagic, i dont want to use ormus.(unless someone makes a good case for it)
Gloves: Magefist
Boots: Waterwalks or Sandstorm trek
Belt: Arachnid Mesh or Thundergods
Amu: Mara
Rings: soj, wisp or good FCR ring

Biggest choice in this build, would be the choice between spirit and phoenix, since that choice also decides which of the 2 armors i can use. But the choice for belt is open if i go with spirit, if i want to open a ring slot for a FCR ring.
If the odd chance of me using ormus is the best option, then that opens some other gear routes, but ill keep out for now.

Merc:
Weapon: Infinity
Armor: fortitude
Helm: whatever, dream for the fun of it?

Any and all comments is welcome, and if nothing else i would like to hear reasons why i should choose whatever route you think best.

Ps:
Es builds is assumed to be max tk and high lvl Es aswell.

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm definitely not speaking from experience here, but I think a no-block 95%ES build would work pretty well. Why?

1. There's no mana burn in PvP, so you can actually pump energy and rely on your mana bulb to keep you alive (and get away with it too!).
2. Poison and Open Wounds, the banes of most ES Sorcs' existence, are non-issues in HC PvP, unlike SC. (Wow, look at my life drain really slowly. I guess I'll just chug a purple now... problem solved!)
3. It's easier to get ridiculous amounts of mana than it is to get ridiculous amounts of life.
4. You don't have to worry so much about %DR and resists (PDR and MDR work better with 95%ES).
5. Hammerdins are pretty much the most common high-level PvPers out there, and the only feasible way to resist their damage is with ES (Safety shield? no thx).

The only issue with this build is that you somehow have to get your ES up to slvl 40 without wasting a ton of skill points in it. A standard gear prebuff ('Memory', +3 ammy/circlet, +3 Ormus') can get you up around slvl 26 (81%) without any skill points invested. Toss in 9 plain light skillers and you're up to slvl 35 (90%). So to actually get to slvl 40 you'd need to invest 5 skill points plus 3 prereqs.

Gear would center around +skills, 105%FCR, and 86%FHR obviously, but also as much mana as possible and as much MDR/PDR as possible. I'm no expert, but I'd expect a reasonable setup to look something like this:

+3 fire circlet (2x Sol or Mal runes)
+3 fire ammy (ideally with 25 PDR)
Eschuta's (facet)/ 'Spirit' (FCR doesn't matter since you hit 105% regardless)
Gladiator's Bane (Sol or Mal)
Magefist
Arach
Treks
2x SoJ

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you'll probably have to go max block / 1 pt. ES / 20 TK with SS/Shako and the usual gear switches in stash (Hotspurs, TGod's, dual Ravens, Kira's, etc.).

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
if gear is not an issue for you, i'd consider looking into a 200% fcr build.

I have an orb/fireballer pvm sorc hitting the 200% fcr BP and I have to say it's pretty significant. Now I didn't build her with the intention of going for the 200% so she is not very sturdy. If you build it with that goal in mind to start then you can make her pretty beefy.

I'd also agree with PT that no block ES is probably the way to go. It also ties in well with the 200% fcr idea.

Keep in mind most high lvl duelers these days are also tppkers so most of them have Auto-TP triggers when they get near death they just auto tp to town.

Some of them use outside-BO, a lame technique but one that is used nonetheless.

Bugged charms are common amongst these people as well.

And a recent barage of duping has been going on as well.

The reason I tell you these things is because you said you don't think you can get fire/30 lifer gc's....If you can't have the perfect gear, I wouldn't bother with HLD. Otherwise it's simply a waste of your mediocre-good gear because you'll be dueling in a lose-lose situation.

Cheers

rachil0

Diabloii.Net Member
Man, good post up there PT. :rolleyes:

If we've decided block is not for us, what about wearing an insight staff for the meditation aura? You take a hit on damage but maybe the mana regen will really crank out the tanking. You can make insight in a staff that has some good fireskill staffmods too, so it's not a total loss. I'm imagining +3 fireball,+3 fire mastery, +3 ... shiver armor or warmth seem useful. With insights builtin 35 FCR (boy that's nice!) , the following gear hits 105 FCR.

+3 fire / 25 PDR ammy
2 soj (mana / skills)
Insight (35 FCR)
Vipermagi (30FCR) - (sol / mal / ... psaph?)
Magefists (20 FCR)
Arach (20 FCR) - boy this belt shines here, otherwise we need ammy or ring FCR and those slots already have key gear.
Other gear same as PT. FHR will be tough to get up unless you start putting in shaels.

On damage, you're losing +2 skills from no spirit (darn) and whatever fireskill damage %'age an Eschuta would give. I wouldn't miss that as much, it's a small damage contribution compared to slvl 30+ fire mastery. You also loose a facet socket.

Of course, with a lot of fireskill pluses your warmth is already pretty good regen so insight might be redundant. Just trying to think outside the box. Another comment, if you're doing PT's rig I would ditch magefists for frostburns, it's just +1 skill, and the FCR is redundant for 105 BP. The +40% mana from frostburns is like BO'ing yourself.

ADSL

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm definitely not speaking from experience here, but I think a no-block 95%ES build would work pretty well. Why?

1. There's no mana burn in PvP, so you can actually pump energy and rely on your mana bulb to keep you alive (and get away with it too!).
2. Poison and Open Wounds, the banes of most ES Sorcs' existence, are non-issues in HC PvP, unlike SC. (Wow, look at my life drain really slowly. I guess I'll just chug a purple now... problem solved!)
3. It's easier to get ridiculous amounts of mana than it is to get ridiculous amounts of life.
4. You don't have to worry so much about %DR and resists (PDR and MDR work better with 95%ES).
5. Hammerdins are pretty much the most common high-level PvPers out there, and the only feasible way to resist their damage is with ES (Safety shield? no thx).

The only issue with this build is that you somehow have to get your ES up to slvl 40 without wasting a ton of skill points in it. A standard gear prebuff ('Memory', +3 ammy/circlet, +3 Ormus') can get you up around slvl 26 (81%) without any skill points invested. Toss in 9 plain light skillers and you're up to slvl 35 (90%). So to actually get to slvl 40 you'd need to invest 5 skill points plus 3 prereqs.

Gear would center around +skills, 105%FCR, and 86%FHR obviously, but also as much mana as possible and as much MDR/PDR as possible. I'm no expert, but I'd expect a reasonable setup to look something like this:

+3 fire circlet (2x Sol or Mal runes)
+3 fire ammy (ideally with 25 PDR)
Eschuta's (facet)/ 'Spirit' (FCR doesn't matter since you hit 105% regardless)
Gladiator's Bane (Sol or Mal)
Magefist
Arach
Treks
2x SoJ

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, you'll probably have to go max block / 1 pt. ES / 20 TK with SS/Shako and the usual gear switches in stash (Hotspurs, TGod's, dual Ravens, Kira's, etc.).

Thats some feedback i can use for sure.
I am leaning towards the no block, Es build.
I prefer to hide my element from the maphackers out there, thats the number 1 reason why i didnt include ormus as a viable option. So +3 fire amu/circlet wont happen.
Good call on the gladsbane, ill have to weigh my option on armor even more. And check what kind of damage i can reach. And then decide if i want more dmg (Coh) or safety (gladsbane).

@AzaZaz
I dont think there is bugged charms on europe, if so i suspect i would have heard of it.
Also, the reasons i said i doubted i could get the 30life skillers is:

1. There is not that many playing europe anymore, so the number of top notch charms i very limited. Hence why i didnt bother with a melee char, since it would take me forever to get enough max/vita sc's. Which brings me to reason 2.

For now i dont have any other char to play around with, so i dont want a half finish char standing around tempting me to duel with, when there is half a inventory of charms missing. If im satisfied with the finished build, i will probaly look to upgrade the charms along the way, if the oppotunity shows itself.

Do you believe the damage loss i would take going for 200 fcr is worth the ekstra casting speed?, wouldnt it just give the people with chicken and auto-tp a ekstra chance to get away with their ear?

@rachil0

While i do like your idea, and i might have to look closer at it, but at first glance it seems inferior to the others.
The frostburns option is also very good, since i will need a huge mana pool, if i go with the Es and no block build, but that would mean ill have to choose vipermagic, or a fcr ring to reach 105%.
Taking viper, and leaving out the magefist, could leave me with +2 skills less, compared to the Coh/magefist route.

AzaZaz

Diabloii.Net Member
ideally you wouldn't be trading much dmg for fcr. When i upgraded from 105 to 200% on the sorc, i actually improved my fireball which was at a measly 5k to about 7k just by switching to the fcr gear. The only major changes I could see to get better dmg would be an ormus and eldritch.

ADSL

Diabloii.Net Member
ideally you wouldn't be trading much dmg for fcr. When i upgraded from 105 to 200% on the sorc, i actually improved my fireball which was at a measly 5k to about 7k just by switching to the fcr gear. The only major changes I could see to get better dmg would be an ormus and eldritch.
I do like the idea of getting 200 fcr, but im pretty certain the dmg loss will be too significant, and i think getting good rares with fcr is too time demanding, for me to experiment.