Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Choice of merc for summoner?

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by KnightFall, Jun 10, 2005.

1. KnightFall

KnightFall IncGamers Member

Choice of merc for summoner?

Howdy all, I'm new to Necros so appologies if this has been asked a million times already.

I'm building a summoner and was wondering about my merc choice.

Options are...
    Might merc with either Insight/Pride/Infinity.
    Rouge with Faith and maybe Dream.

So what do you think? Will the rouge cut it? I allready have the Faith but not the other RW's so that would be easier/cheaper.

Thanks,
    KnightFall

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

A rogue doesn't have Might, so you are missing that aura. Fanatism helps the skellies, though.

Insight does nothing for your skellies, thus bad choice.

Infinity reduces monster defense, but otherwise no effects for your skellies. Crushing blow on the merc isn't bad, though. It would also help out mages, if you use them (not everyone does).

Pride stacks with the Might, so lots of damage boost for your skellies. "Hit blinds target" overrides curses (AFAIK), but also AFAIK it only affects the one target the merc is currently hitting. Still, could be an annoyance when dealing with act bosses, as it will constantly override your decrepify/amp damage.

3. KnightFall

Thanks for the reply. :D

I think the extra damage from Pride should make the loss of Amp Damage on bosses mean very little though so i'll probably go for that.

Cheers,
    KnightFall

4. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

On bosses you use Decrepify, which has a huge bonus that when combined with Clay Golem slowing and Ice Mage slowing basically immobilises most Bosses, which you do not really want overridden

5. KnightFall

Hmm, didn't think of that...

So what weapon would people suggest?

Cheers,
    KnightFall

6. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

there was a recent thread about this earlier where it was deduced that infinity would actually be better for your skellies in overall damage

might only adds to the base damage of your skels, not the final damage shown
    (after the ED% from the skill)

the reduce def -% is added afterward, so your skels hit a lot more (but to calculate average damage you'd be adding the end damage overall)

7. KnightFall

Typical! The most expensive one is the one I need! :lol:

Thanks for the info. :)

KnightFall

8. SharnMes

SharnMes IncGamers Member

Thats always the case isnt it :D

9. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

Hmm, does the skeletons really have that hard of a time to hit? I thought their lvl was the same as the necro who summoned them?

10. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

True, but their AR isn't the highest in the world. They still hit pretty often, but they can use a bit more AR.

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Well, keep in mind that the numbers point towards Infinity but HoS seems to think Pride works better and he's used both.

12. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

might merc. simpy the best merc.

13. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

Thought act bosses and all super uniques for that matter, couldnt be Dim Visioned... and as such, couldnt be Hit Blinds target?

Havent tested it, but ?

I know a Unique Gloam and his 5 friends, I can DV the 5 friends but the unique keeps firing... DV wont land.

14. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

i think the good combos would be:

might merc with infinity: infinity lowers defense by 83% and resistance by 85% plus the merc adds damage to your skels. this is what i use with my skels and mages. in hell some of the monsters have up to 2500 defense. with infinity you cut that down to 425 defense which is rather easy to hit.

blessed aim merc with pride: i tried this but it only benifits you, merc, skel and revives, not the mages. plus the freezes target can be a pain.

15. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Screw mages, go for Pride.

-Gix

16. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

First of all, bosses and champions cannot be blinded.

A faith merc on a summoner is effective- been there and succeeded. She has the best overall survivability of any of the mentioned mercs. You will find your act 2 mercs constantly getting Iron Maidened in the Worldstone Keep and Chaos Sanctuary, very annoying. You could just put your high end runeword in a normal non eth low damage polearm to alleviate this though, but who would really do that?

Nothing shreds Baal/Diablo/(or anything) faster than an Infinity merc+ mages.

17. Dancolen

Dancolen IncGamers Member

Did some questioning/surveying/research.

Infinity is equal to/barely edges out Pride on most accounts by subjects tested.... IF there is no AR bonus already going.

IE if your skellies arent lvl 50 or have fanatic or some other AR aura, infinity will do just as good or better than pride.

If your skellies are truely high lvl.. 40+ and/or you have fanatic on as well, then pride shows more damage.

The weaker your summoner is(+ skills/auras) the more beneficial conviction.
    The stronger(+skills/auras) the more diminishing returns from infinity and hard return from pride is still there.

(thats all based on just a few necs i surveyed and their killing speed with infinity or pride, netiher had both so couldnt do direct comparison)

This all being said.
    Where best place to find a good socketed elite polearm/spear, or a unique one. Hell Cows?
    My merc is using a exceptional unique and is doing fine even in hell(starting act4), but my bone hybrid is coming of age(in act5 normal), and will be buying a merc soon in nm, and would love to put the exceptional unique on him instead.

Of course im NL... so I dont get those nifty aura polearms.. but a good 150% + elite one would be nice with CB :)

18. HafidzMD

HafidzMD IncGamers Member

Ive been using both, pride and infinity, high level skelies and low level skelies.

Infinity shows greater (much greater effect) at clearing screen.

I think not many ppl realise this but I really dont like that freezing effect (yes it bothers me that much).

the extra dmg from the pride is not really that obvious when it comes to playing. It might sound better during calculation (which is what Ive thought and the result was disappointing).

Infinity Vs Pride:
    Infinity gives 40%CB (OMG, theres no better weapon with aura)
    Infinity gives ED (my merc can sometimes deal 18k dmg) voila!
    No icy corpses from infinity
    My CE works even better now :)

I just like that weapon. Its a killer.