Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chipped gems

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lady bug, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lady bug

Lady bug IncGamers Member

Chipped gems

This may sound silly, but Im close to "drowning" in mid low runes and I'm out of several of the appropriate chipped gems to cube them. Its especially my level ** amazon who has the problem, and since shes to be completely self found, she realy need chipped gems.

The question is: Does anyone have a suggestion for a place to hunt for low gems? Ive tried just running around in blod moor and stony fields, but apart from beeing extremely tiresome, the outcome was zero. Its not the big catastrofy not to be able to cube them, but its rather annoing (it pains my sence of system)

2. silospen

silospen IncGamers Member

Re: Chipped gems

To be honest....

Rather than spending your time running areas to get chipped gems to cube up your runes, why not just cut out the middleman and go run places to get runes :)

3. Low Key

Low Key IncGamers Member

Holy Shock, Fire or Cold paladins on p8 act 1 normal do wonders for chippies and low level jewels. But Silospen does make a good point, I'd rather spend the time on running countess instead.

4. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

I have a suggestion. Do like I do. I pick up every rune I find, I'll stash the lower runes to a certain stash and after a nice, big stash, I'll just send it friedbananazzzz, who will cube them for his own use. Now I have about 1k runes from el to dol, which I'll send with in a week to Jason. I like that :rolleyes:

maybe we both are a bit nuts...

5. Grumpy Old Wizard

Grumpy Old Wizard IncGamers Member

If you are playing on player 8 it should not take too long running around in act1 normal to get chippies.

6. Tyrannath

Tyrannath IncGamers Member

I have a level 28 paladin with max Holy Fire and a Kinemal's Awl Giant sword that I call my chip-a-din(Sub-Class guide on gamefaqs.com). I turn on /players 8 and run through Act 1 normal, and i find about 10 per hour. Everything just instantly dies, so it's rather quick.

7. Hoop76

Hoop76 IncGamers Member

catacombs in normal is where i seem to find the most

8. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

this works very well.

9. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

10 per hour? Typo?

10. Tyrannath

Nah, not a typo. Chipped gems can either be really hard to find or really easy to find. For example, I could run all of Act I normal and only get 1 or 2 chippies, and the next time I could run it and get dozens.

I haven't really done the math, but I'm gonna take a guess and say I get 10 or more per hour, on average.

I did, however, make a typo. The build advice is not in the Sub-class guide on Gamefaqs, but rather one of the many Paladin FAQs on it. Sorry about that.

11. Magicboy

Magicboy IncGamers Member

I make so many new characters and I quest them all of the way to level 24 before I rush them. So I usually have a bucket load of chipped gems in my stash.

Just make lots and lots of new characters and you'll have more chippies than you'll ever need

EDIT: 1 or 2 for the whole act one? Although the odds for chippies are random, I get at least 10 chippies through act one with every new character I make. Sometimes, I get up to 20-30

12. Tyrannath

Like I said, chippies can be either really rare or really common. Sometimes I run act I and get only a few chippies, sometimes I can get over 30. I don't know why it's like that. :/

13. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Completing act 1 with any new character on players 8 means I have to empty my stash of chippies at least two or three times.

I can confidently say I've never got 1 or 2 chippies for the whole Act!

14. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Considering Andariel herself drops two chippies each time, 1-2 for the entire act is clearly not correct.

I have a character at the outer cloister. 44 chippies in his stash (p8 full clears) Full act I'd expect 50-100 chippies with full clears.

15. Tyrannath

I usually don't do Andariel, I usually just clear the moor, plains, crypt, mausoleum...etc.

I should probably start running Andariel. I have seriously found only 2 in basically every area pre-Andariel before.

Like I said though, I can also get dozens too.

16. MukTuk

MukTuk IncGamers Member

I find normal cows to be decent enough when I'm looking for gems of any kind. Doesn't take long to clear with a good character and by the end I'll usually have 5-6 gems of varying quality.

17. Skinnyy

Skinnyy IncGamers Member

My vote is LK superchests, hell at p8. Lots of chippies, pop out of those chests at p8. Probably not as high as you could do cleaning out act1 over and over, but it comes with the side benefits of lots of flawless gems, charms, jewels, and a chance at a Ber. It probably isn't the best for chippies, but I would estimate 10-15 per hour (assuming you can do 100+ runs [600 superchest pops] per hour).

18. Insane Wayne

Insane Wayne IncGamers Member

I consistently collect 70-80 spare chippies every time I full clear Act 1 Normal at p8. IIRC I hit the high 80s once. The actual number of chips is probably a bit higher, because I use a dozen or so along the way. Occasionally I'll suffer an unusual shortage of a certain type of chip (especially frustrating when it's topaz :tongue:). However, the total number of chips rarely deviates much. The large number of monsters/poppables involved in a full Act clear ensures some level of predictability.

19. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

And the other point is that to cube up to bigger runes will take you so many Thuls that it is really not worth it. If you desperately need an Amn or Shael then go ahead and cube but if you are looking higher then that hour of chippy hunting could have netted you one from LK or Countess. I think if you check with most serious rune hunters they don't even bother collecting anything bellow Amn anyways unless its crafting supplies.

I used to cube everything until I realized that I needed millions of El's to get anything decent. Now I have a stash of a reasonable amount of lower runes and I only pick up the mid-higher runes.

20. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Andariel drops 2chippies+1normal only when you kill her for the quest.
    Act 1 chest+ghost areas on P8 are the way. Countess tower is too small to be worth it, so I suggest Barracks/jail and/or Catacombs.