Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chipped Gems... upgrade them? or put an item and try my luck? der=

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Baal, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

Chipped Gems... upgrade them? or put an item and try my luck?

i'm not sure what's better to do

i'm in Normal - Act 2.. i just put the staff together

my equipment all sucks... so i'm thinking of wasting a ton of chipped gems and trying to get something good. but i'm wondering if it's too early in the game and i should just upgrade them all in my cube instead? i'm not sure which is best

2. Baal

Baal IncGamers Member

never mind

i'm using the axe class and i assumed the chipped gem thing works for all weapons... guess i'll cube em and make them better gems :(

or is there something else i could do?

3. farting bob

farting bob Banned

upgrade them all. all items suck in act 2 normal. you should still be able to buy alot fo your gear from the shop. just hang in there. you'll feel better when you use 3 flawless diamonds in your shied later.

4. luskan

luskan IncGamers Member

I upgraded all of my early gems to help get p. topaz for MF, and p. ruby and p.sapphire for life/mana. Once you hit NM you'll notice a lot of the gems drop at normal or flawless, which is when I started to keep my chippies and flaweds for low rune upgrades and cubed the rest to get the perfects. I also used low level gems to improve my merc's fighting power until I found some good rare/uniques for him.

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

It does in 1.10 (in 1.09 it only worked on swords).

The chances of getting a really good item are slim whatever means you use - if you have a bunch of chipped gems spare you can always bundle them into the cube and give it a shot.

6. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

you can cube weapon with 3gems for getting new magic weapon with socket and after you can upgrade you're other gems.

you can upgrate gem for MF on headgear
    you can upgrate gem for better live on armor
    you can upgrate gem for poison on weapon

and don't forget you'll need also gem for cubing runes

7. TrenShadow

TrenShadow IncGamers Member

If you're in 1.10, the chip recipe works on all weapons. My 2 HC 1.10 chars that have made it to the cube so far have had an abundance of chips by the time they got there, but not a decent weapon (wand for skelliemancer, scepter for hammerdin). My hammerdin managed to cube a +3BH, +1Conc scepter which did wonders for his damage output :D My necro has burned lots of chips on wands, but ended up buying a +3RS, +2CE or something wand from a vendor.

8. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

you should definitely use the chippies now because you will be finding ample numbers of higher quality gems in not very long. i'm usually finding standard gems by ~ act 3 normal, and flawless by act 4/5. so go ahead and cube to your hearts content! of course your odds of getting something useful are still rather slim, so you should also gamble any and all gold you manage to scrounge together. good luck!

9. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

at low levels I often just throw chipped/flawed gems into 3 sockeed weapons, often getting more damage than I would otherwise from a decent magical or crappy rare. by the time you can use perfects, you'll be getting enough lesser gems to keep you well stocked.