Chipmc's Witchwild String Strafeazon Guide v. 0.05 Beta if

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
Liessa described next-delay very well. There is one thing I've noticed in my own experiences that is another thing to consider as well, however. While you do score more hits with a 9/2 strafe than a 9/3 strafe, the mana cost per hit goes up. (11/4 hits as opposed to 11/5 hits) The only thing that this really affects is your mana leech, but if you are playing against things with high physical resistance in hell difficulty, it can sometimes be difficult to get your mana back. Damagewise, it's always better to have a faster strafe, however, and mana potions aren't that hard to come by if you need them.

Something you might include in the Freezing Arrow section of the guide is the fact that cold damage from equipment/charms increases your freeze duration with FA. Thus, you can put a couple cold charms in your inventory and double your freeze duration. Since FA only freezes for 1/4 second in hell difficulty without anything extending the freeze duration, it doesn't buy you too much time to strafe. However, with a few charms and a ravenfrost, you can hold them in place long enough for you to fire off a couple rounds of strafe.

Also, you might want to stick somewhere that the formula to figure out the minimum number of arrows your strafe will shoot is 2 + (slevel/4).(iirc, at least). This gives you 2+(20/4) = 7 at level 20, and 8 at level 24. This could possibly adjust the amount of +skills that a player would get for their equipment, though the biggest place it affects is against just one to two monsters, where an 8th arrow is ignored due to next delay with both 2 and 3 frame strafe speeds against a single monster.

Anyhow, good looking guide!

JoJeck

Diabloii.Net Member
Liessa, although you have some of the Next Delay effects captured in the comparison you made between a 10 arrow strafe for 9/2 and 9/3 there is considerably more to this problem. :( Your statistics are for a highly idealistic situation and in a game it will generally be much more complex.

Consider this:

1) Not all arrows in a strafe sequence will hit their target, in fact it is very hard to get much above 85% chance to hit on Bosses (depends on amazons Clvl and AR and the Bosses lvl and DR).

2) Some monsters and especially Bosses have a chance to block an arrow (Baal has a 55% chance)

3) Few strafers actually fire 10 arrows at a single target. Most will only fire 7 or 8 and that affects the sequences. So the level of strafe with + skills is important.

These effects will significantly alter your comparison in an in-game situation. I do, however, agree that a 9/2 strafe is generally better than a 9/3 against a single target even accounting for the Next delay limitation. This is due to fact that shooting faster tends to overcome the problems with hitting and blocking I pose.

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
JoJeck, I was merely trying to illustrate to det and others how NextDelay works on a single target. You can remove the last 3 arrows from the table and calculate how it works for 7 arrow Strafe but like you said it's not the whole truth, but there are so many other variables to take into consideration. Like they say: "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"

I personally always prefer faster speed, because to me playing is more fun when I shoot fast. Actually my WWS zon had 8/2 Strafe which many people find overkill or unnecessary.

tharrisx

Diabloii.Net Member
I have been converted ... I tossed and turned and went ahead and upgraded my wws. At first i though i wasted my pul and lum that i worked so hard for (normal/nm forge drops). But my my. What a nice killing weapon. Now if I can just figure out how to that that 12XX-13XX i could be something else. But as it is ... my little 350-750 ish damamge (with might merc) is enough killing power to run through hell. Amp damage and 9-2 strafe is an amazing thing.

Shanksie1337

Diabloii.Net Member
" if I can just figure out how to that that 12XX-13XX i could be something else."

Lots and lots of dex, with lots of 3 max sc's / 10 max gc's thrown on top :D

cronus

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice guide chipmc. Just curious about this when you say

"...some will argue that the WWS when upgraded can out perform the Windforce because the WWS has a faster WMS (Weapon Speed Modifier) than the Windforce, and thus ..."

If you shove in Atma's Scarab on the WF zon and make it shoot 9/2 together with good CS, will uWWS outdamage WF? You can shoot 8/2 uWWS (105IAS, I think) but will this outperform a WF that shoots at 9/2? The reason I am asking is because WF is worth a pul now and I don't really want to spend that pul on the WWS if WF is better and cheaper.

Freyas

Diabloii.Net Member
With several points in critical strike and an atma's scarab amulet, WF will do more damage than WWS, especially physical damage. WWS's strengths come in the fact that it's an outstanding all-around bow- it can deal with anything you come across, even if amp can't cut physical immunity. The resistances are a big plus, it saves you skill points from critical strike, and it allows you to pump dex or vit much more than you can if you use a WF. It's also about 5000x easier to find than a WF- I've found 5 or 6 WWS's, while I've never seen a WF drop.

cronus

Diabloii.Net Member
uWWS is really something and the only other bow that gives higher resists is a Silence bow. I am just weighing the benefits the 2 bows. Like i said, either bow will cost me a pul: to upgrade or trade for WF (afterall, WF is finally more available now through trade). I just want to build a character that can kill unlike my old dual LS weilding frenzy barb. He just whacks and whacks and whacks... and whacks whacks whacks whacks and monsters are still standing there smiling at him in games with more than say, 4-5 players.

arghh.. the more I edit this, the more grammatical errors i mkae. :i

ak404

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice work!

That's the second good WWS guide I've seen on the web - it's nice to know people are finally seeing the value of this bow. I'm not sure if you've covered this, but instead of using +max damage equipment, use +min damage equipment to keep your damage dangerously consistent.

sorcees

Diabloii.Net Member
Great guide, one question left, what on (weapon)switch, maybe a (lifetap)wand, or a tele(staff)?
Or a spear and a shield for jabbing.
Or a pair of titans + rhymeshield (storm for the rich)?

Or something completly different?

Liessa Wyrmbane

Diabloii.Net Member
sorcees said:
Great guide, one question left, what on (weapon)switch, maybe a (lifetap)wand, or a tele(staff)?
Or a spear and a shield for jabbing.
Or a pair of titans + rhymeshield (storm for the rich)?

Or something completly different?
for rich: Call to Arms + lidless
for more attack rating: Demonlimb + anything (maybe +str shield)
for prebuffing valk: +2 ama javelins + lidless

I use(d) Demonlimb on my WWS ama. That way I could get away with only 1 pt in Penetrate and still have over 11k AR...

CoRRuPt-OnE

Diabloii.Net Member
i was wondering how much ar do you people have on ur witchyzons? Mine has over 13k and has a decent 86-95% chance to kill things in hell.

oh and btw have you ever used a combat shrine with this girl? i laughed at my AR 145k..... :drool:

chipmc

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh wow, I'm gone for a couple of weeks and my guide gets stickied!
:surprise:

Wow, I have responisibilities now... I have to revise the IAS tables! Merc equipment selections! I had an idea to make the guide pretty with screen shots! So much to do!!!

Argh! :flip:

Catrinus Jan

Diabloii.Net Member
May i suggest that people with interest in a WWS zon to take a look over at the amazonbasin. Hunkydory did a VERY very VERY very large writeup (36 pages)with detailed information about a wws zon.