Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chipadin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Webber, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Webber

Webber IncGamers Member

Chipadin

Coud someone please exlain to me exactly what a chipadin is?
    Thnx

2. rare

rare IncGamers Member

I remember them being used in .09, they might still be in use today, not totally sure.

They're paladins that are made just to collect chipped gems. in .09 they were used to make potentially crazy good swords with a recipe (at least I think they were swords, my memory is a little fuzzy :( )

They usually maxed holy fire, and they'd just charge around cold plains or stony field in normal difficulty. Max holy fire would kill everything with 1 pulse over an area of 2 screens I think. So as they quickly charged around, everything dropped dead, and the monsters had a very good chance of dropping chipped gems.

so they were just useful to gather chipped gems in normal, not much else.

3. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Yes, it was a swords recipe, which was nerfed in 1.10. 3 chipped gems with a magical sword = a 3 (its now one or two, which makes all of the difference,) with random mods. So you could take a magical colossus blade or balrog blade, reroll until you had a "cruel" mod with 3 sockets. Slap shael+shael+40 ed jewel, and you had one of the nastiest barb ww weapons in the game. And if you were lucky enough to come up with a "cruel cb of quicknes/alacrity," you could pretty much trade it for anything you wanted.

The recipe has gone out of favor for a couple of reasons, the most important being that it no longer yields 3 sockets. Now, you can put shael+shael in to hit the last bp, but you can't up the damage, making the weapon much less appealing. Secondly, new uniques and runewords (e.g. death cleaver, ebotd, even oath,) out-shine the old cruels, which is important, as the monsters are tougher.

You used to be able to trade 40 chips for an soj, in much the same way you can trade 40 perfects for a Pul now. So people made chip collectors. Hope my discourse on an archaic practice helped.

4. Webber

Webber IncGamers Member

Thank you I understand now. Potentially, could you craft a sword with cruel and 2 socs, for 40/15 jewels? I know that theyre mostly duped but theoretically could it be possible?

5. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Haha ah those good old days of .09! Back then i made a chippidin and he had max holyfire and went 2-handed with the uniq giant sword Kinemil's Awl - gogo +6 holyfire hehe. I really wished Blizz didn't nerf the chippy recipe so really poor people could cube themselves a decent cruel to smack stuff in hell hehe. Once in .09 i saw a 3os Priest's Cryptic Sword of Quickness go for huge high runes even! Wished the current pgems recipe worked like the chip recipe but for all items :( Oh ya other than a chippidin a poison nova necro with fire golem could just walk past hoardes in act 1 normal and the entire map is wiped out lol.

6. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Yes, it is possible. With those jewels, though, you could buy several weapons now that would probably be better, though. Just think, though, if that sword you are talking about had 3 socketes. 40/15 x 2 + Ohm.

7. Dark Bushido

Dark Bushido Banned

In 1.09 you got three sockets, and in 1.10 there are better options.

Seems that no matter what patch we play in, we all dress the same or similar.