Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chinese overweight - an upcoming problem?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LorveN, Jun 18, 2005.

1. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Chinese overweight - an upcoming problem?

So, I read this article. To be short about it, currently 10% of the children have passed the border to be considered 'fat', while a whooping 90 million of the total 1.3 billion chinese suffer from more than 20% overweight.

According to the WHO, 300 million chinese are to be considered 'fat', compared to the 225 million that are undernourished.

A report from Chen Chaogang, doctor at the university in the Guangdong province, the number of overweight children increase by 8% annually.
    He says, that the one-child policy results in chinese parents (and even grandparents) give their children all they want, including food.
    Because of periods of starvation, which parents to the children have suffered from, they also naturally feed their childs more.

WHO is now working through campaigns to encourage people to eat less sugar and fat, replace it with better food, and also to do more physical activity.

Had to translate it myself, and so I did freely. Hope I didnt lose any points, but I did my best.
    Originally caught at: http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,661572,00.html
    (its in swedish, so I bet not many of you understand it, but I'll give you a link anyway.)

So, how about this? An increase of 8% annually is quite extreme, compared to those huge numbers.
    Is this getting out of our hands?
    Discuss!

2. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Let me guess, fast food business popping up in China everywhere

3. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

yeah, together with a huge increase of .... Wall-marts !!

HoD

4. Damotta

Damotta IncGamers Member

I think it's somewhat inevitable with China growing and prospering and all. Like you said, parents who have felt the pains of extreme hunger and malnurishment dont want their kids to have to feel the same things so they instead overfeed them.

Also, since more and more companies (at least from America) are going overseas, many to China, more Americanized fatty foods are becoming available. McDonalds anyone?

I think as long as China continues to prosper and gain wealth, this trend will continue, because as it has been plainly shown throughout history, people with luxuries will take advantage of them. Gluttony and overeating is one of the luxuries.

5. Rick

Rick IncGamers Member

You gotta admit though, it WOULD be a funny sight.

6. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Better to be a fat ass than starving to death...
    Anyway, they should all join those rip off gyms that will probably follow the Mcdonalds over there in a few years.

7. publius

publius IncGamers Member

I remember hearing that in general obesity accompanies prosperity. Usually, scarcity is a common thing, as not everybody's needs can be satisfied. Thus, the United States has been pretty prosperous for the second half of the 20th century, and thus has one of the highest obesity rates in the world.

Now that China's economy is prospering, it is probably not too surprising that the average weight is rising (I can almost hear people thinking "But wait! Weren't Asian people supposed to be naturally skinny?").

8. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

9. nrabbit

nrabbit IncGamers Member

i don't think its getting out of our hands.8% isn't that bad.when it reaches 20-30% then ill probably start to worry:uhuh:

10. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

remember that 8% in china is a good bit more than 30% in the USA... :confused:

11. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

We obviously blame international corporations like McDonald's, which by the way puts a fine Irish name to shame, when the real blame should be placed on the parents for stuffing their kids so much.

-Gix

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I dont htink you can blame all the parents. As others haev said, suddenly more poeple have money to spend and can afford more and better food. If you lived as a really poor person eating once a day, then suddenly you find yourself being able to eat whenever you felt like it, you'd put on weight to. :p

13. Gix

Gix IncGamers Member

Agreed. Good point my friend.

-Gix

14. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

I remember Lisa Ling did a short documentary on this. She interviewed a 8 yr boy and asked if he thinks if he is spoiled or not. The fat kid said "No."

15. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

Not only is KFC the most popular fast food chain in China, but it is also considered healthy to have a pudgy child in most Asian countries. I'm not surprised that this is happening.

16. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Well this is really a problem in most countries and ofc the evul international corporations should be blamed! I wouldn't feed my cat the crap they pass off as food and make millions selling. And I'm not only talking fast-food chains here, but including all the crap trying to impersonate food you find in the supermarket.

17. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Generally, i find if the food is more healthy after you rub it into the dirt to remove the fat and grease, then its a bad thing. A good example of this is Mcdonalds. At times i think its about as nice to eat when it comes out of you as it went in. ergh...

18. D.K.night

D.K.night IncGamers Member

As to whether you go and point the finger at the parents for feeding their kids into fat-ass oblivion, or blame the fast-food companies, is a pretty complex issue. Where does personal responsibility end, and corporate responsibility start?

I'm not sure if it's entirely accurate to say that a Chinese parent would think that having a fat kid is a good thing. Sure a fat baby is cool - a cultural sign of a good thing - but not necessarily a fat pre-teen. Fat kids are stigmatized in the Chinese culture just as it is with many other cultures. Chinese tend to prefer their kind either regular weight or skinny - being skinny's cool, hell many of them are skinnier compared to your average american. Sometimes too skinny I might add, boney-boney...too thin!!

It all does have a lot to do with diet. If all you feasted on is rice with small servings of meat and veggies as opposed to steak and potatoes, you'd keep the weight down also. But as soon as you introduce fast food into the equation...processed food/drink with tons of sugar, caffeine, and other highly addicting substances...and little to no nutritional value but tons of calories...hell ya you'll see the waistline expand exponentially.

Cheap food, easy to get, fills you up...why wouldn't you go eat it?

19. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Yea, but 1 in 5 ameircan kids are obess, and its getting more and more every year, so being skinnier than an average american would be considered normal by most countires standards.
    And i blame everyone including durf for the problem, which will only get worse with china finally starting to become the economic powerhouse it can be.