Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chinese buffets. How do they do it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Future now, Oct 13, 2006.

1. The Future now

The Future now Banned

Chinese buffets. How do they do it?

A Chinese buffet by me sells takeout (including meat and seafood) for $4.00 a pound. How can they possibly make a profit?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Rice is cheap, frozen food is also cheap if you get low quality stuff.

Frying things in oil is a good way to cover up any crappy flavor. . .look at KFC.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Confucius say, stupid white people pay big dollar for freeze dried sawdust and old Chinese newspaper.

4. bladesyz

bladesyz IncGamers Member

White guys' restaurants are ridiculously overpriced. 12$ for a few pieces of meat, a couple slices of pepper, and three pieces of potatoes?

5. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Well two weeks ago I was a local favorite buffet. In the middle of my meal with my family, they sat a stranger right into our table. And they were shock that I objected. And later when I ask for extra forks, they asked "why?"

Food is cheap. Services, space, tables etc. is expensive.

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

I choose option D.

7. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

i agree with option D, add some stray animals in a rice bowl for a cheap meal

8. Ace_wanderer

Ace_wanderer IncGamers Member

I dont know what its like in America but here in New Zealand I dont know why anyone would eat chinese food at a buffet. Its been sitting there for ages and its loaded with MSG and it tastes like a wet towel.

There are good chinese restaurants though, my uncle owns one so we go there every so often.

PS:Im chinese.

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I don't know what it's like in New Zealand but here in America we don't eat wet towels.

It isn't supposed to be the real thing, just like Taco Bell isn't supposed to be Mexican.

10. Ace_wanderer

Yeah thats true but I see people lining up to by stuff thats not only extremely unhealthy but it also tastes bad.

11. bladesyz

Here in Toronto, there's a couple of good chinese buffets. There's one that serves mongolian bbq, and another that serves Pekin Duck. Just don't go to franchise ones like Mandarin. They're overpriced and the food generally is tailored more for westerners than for chinese.

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Most people honestly don't care. If people cared about their health you wouldn't see so many fat people. Out of those who do care a bit most are extremely uneducated on the subject. Diet Coke with a Super Sized Big Mac and fries. . . Or they just assume that since it's from a 'real' restaurant that it is healthier than fast food so they are actually eating healthy.

13. bladesyz

That's why I stopped ordering combos at fast foods. The burgers aren't too bad. It's the sodas and the fries that are the problem.

14. Ace_wanderer

I havent tasted a mongolian bbq but I really like Peking duck.

My body is sensitive to what I eat so I especially hate MSG because it can turn a particularly good meal into a nasty one.

15. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Every time I eat Chinese I wonder if Chinese people would even vaguely recognise the stuff.

16. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

In Australia the most successful Asian food shops are MSG-free. Australians have had an aversion to MSG and other artificial ingredients for about 15 years... which is funny when you consider that people tend to eat at MSG-free restaurants, but put a thick layer of "Chicken Salt", which is almost pure MSG, on their hot chips.

Most Asian buffets ( a lot of places here don't really deserve the name "Chinese" because they sell a mixture of Chinese, Thai, Malaysian, Japanese and Vietnamese cuisine) cost about $6-$7.50 for all you can fit on the plate. At the place I go to I get Singapore noodles, Mongolian Lamb, Beef & Blackbean, Sechuan Chicken, Lemon Chicken, Honey Chicken, and Mixed Vegetables topped with a few pieces of Sweet & Sour Pork (with only a tiny bit of sauce so it doesn't wreck everything else) and 2 Spring Rolls, 2 Vegetarian Spring Rolls all on a thin bed of rice that's there to soak up all the sauce. That's not as much as it sounds either.

Mmmm... I want Sang Choy Bau now...

Near that buffet is a kebab shop, the kebabs range from $6 - $10 depending on size and topping, that also sells nachos for $5 ($5 for a pile of corn chips with a bit of cheese and mince put under a stove for a minute... ) and individual pizzas for $5.50. The smallest, most basic kebab (beef, hoummos, tabouli, cheese) is only slightly smaller than what you get from the buffet for the same price.

Not far from these two is an Italian take-away. Pizza slices are $3.45 and Garlic Bread is $2. A pasta dish, in the same size container that you get at the Asian buffet, is $6.50.

Basically, unless you're buying McDonald's, which is the cheapest, everything costs roughly the same for a similar amount (unless you're buying pizza).

EDIT:
    Apparently, the most common "Chinese" foods in Australia are actually Sino-Australian recipes based on, but different to, original Chinese ones. Things like Dim Sims, Mongolian Lamb, Combination Fried Rice and Singapore Noodles were apparently invented or at least heavily modified, in Australia due to differeing availability of ingredients.

17. The Future now

The Future now Banned

I think the food is fairly fresh, they have plenty of customers and I imagine the most popular items need to be replenished often.

18. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

I once worked as a delivery-boy in my school years, for a Chinese Buffet/Take-Out place. While the food that goes into the buffet is often not fresh off of the grill, it doesn't sit there for 'ages'. If a dish is not popular, most places will remove it from the buffet and replace it with something else, if only to keep from wasting food.

And yes, the MSG is a killer. It is one of the reasons I had to give up Chinese food as a regular meal, though I can cook it at home.

With how many people's bodies have issues with MSG anymore, though, a number of restraunts now advertise MSG free menus, meals, and even items on buffet lines - And this is in a rather 'backwoods' area, not a major city - So I imagine it is happening on a widespread basis.

---

On a seperate note, I just recently found a CiCi's Pizza not too far from where I live, it would be a drive... but it was my favorite place in the world to eat in Alabama - Pizza Buffet is so much better than a Chinese Buffet.

19. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

They all taste the same.

20. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I remember that whole MSG thing like ten or fifteen years ago. I haven't heard that word since.