Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chilling armor video

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by stephan, Apr 12, 2008.

1. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Chilling armor video

In the past year(s) there has been some discussion whether Chilling Armor can deflect ranged attacks/spells. There were some videos to suggest it could, but they were very unclear and very prone to lag/desynch issues. Later findings by other members gave varying results but none showed any videos.

Together with Darkoooo I made a video of a Sorceress with Chilling Armor, first being attacked by an Amazon with Guided Arrow and then with a Sorceress using Ice Blast. The video was made from the Sorceress' point of view so her life bulb could be viewed to confirm hits. Also, the missiles were fired at a reasonably slow rate (1.5-2s intervals) to not get problems with lag.

The video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWHfgzdU-D4

(note that with GA there seems to be some delay between the hit and the decrease in the life bulb; probably effects like this gave rise to the discussion)

As can been seen out of 25+ Guided Arrows and Ice Blasts none were deflected. Even if we assume a low deflecting probability of 20%, the chances for having 25 consecutive hits are only 0.4%. From this I think it can be concluded that Chilling Armor at least does not deflect GA and Ice Blast, and most likely not anything else either.

Fair criticism on the video is welcome of course.

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Chilling armor video

I thought Guided was auto-hit in regards to the AR/DR formula? Wouldn't it be better to use magic arrow or just normal attack?

It probably doesn't matter, I'm just curious.

3. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

That is actually the reason why I used GA. If I have to factor in the CtH formula it becomes much more difficult to determine if an arrow simply missed or was actually really deflected by CA. It has been stated that GA was being deflected as well, so I saw no reason not to use it.

4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Interesting, stephan. Very interesting.

What level Armour did you use by the way?

5. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Chilling armor was at level 8 in this video.

6. prion

prion IncGamers Member

that seems to cover the PvP uses, but to determine whether CA is useful in PvM you need to test Firebolt and regular arrows.

It may even be the case that PvP bybasses the CA hitcheck :eek:

in my experience it seems work on the following missiles:
    regular arrow
    fire arrow
    death frost nova (wtf)
    lightning enchant bolts
    firebolts

7. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Why those two? Why not two other missiles?

But this is conjecture. There is not even anything to suggest CA blocks anything. And now you are going to propose an intricate mechanism where it works in PvM, but not in PvP. This is not true for any other skill in the game (except AI skills).

8. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Those particular missiles are where I have observed my sheild working consistently...so it is particularly relevant and useful to test them.

It's fair to say from your test that Chilling Armor has no use in PvP...it's not fair to extrapolate and claim that it has no use at all. You only tested two missiles. In fact you tested two missiles that are never used by monsters.

Can you not think of any other feature in the game that blocks some missiles and not others?

9. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Many people have said to observe a lot. I'm not going to test every missile just because someone has said to have seen something. Show *your* videos.

It is fair when said behavior is not described anywhere in the game. Perhaps it also blocks melee attacks? Should I test Berzerk if it doesn't secretly trigger OW? Should I test Holy Shield for giving a hidden resistance bonus?

There has to be a reason to test something. Right now I don't see it anymore.

10. prion

prion IncGamers Member

ok.

it looks like i was wrong.

11. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

12. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

I have a tri-elemental sorc that I carried over from 1.09 and used a while ago for MF-running Hell Mephisto. She has a point in all the cold armors, and I always cast Shiver to help protect her on the runs. Her resistances are quite low due to wearing mostly MF equipment. Often when I am casting meteor on Meph, there is a stray council member or two on the peninsula on the edge of the screen that casts hydra at me. I completely ignore it because my armor seems to block it most if not all of the time. She sometimes makes noise like she is getting hit, but her life bulb hardly ever drops and hardly at all when it does. I think these cold armors work against ranged attacks when you're standing still, possibly with a chance to block % that could either be constant or improve with skill point investment.

I concede that most of this is speculation, and I should probably do some further testing myself. Good idea stephan to try and figure this out, but I have to agree with some others here that much more testing needs to be done before the issue is resolved in my mind.

Edit: Just watched your new vid stephan, certainly that firebolt is hitting every time and the armor isn't stopping it. Maybe the hydra they are casting on me is very weak? I will doublecheck her fire resistance and see if I can figure out what is happening in my case.

13. peterpaulrubens

peterpaulrubens IncGamers Member

I'd like to see you reproduce your test again with a sorceress wearing a shield. It's an obvious difference in variables between the other videos and yours. Yes, it will introduce the possibility of blocking GA... but you should see the blocking animation.

14. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Blocking animation is not always visible, but I can do it for Firebolt without bugging anyone. Perhaps tonight, although I don't expect to see anything different.

EDIT: a quick test shows no difference with or without shield. I can upload the video if you want.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  15. MortisNostre

MortisNostre IncGamers Member

My limited testing shows that a sorc with chilling armor cast will "block" GA in the absense of blocking animation. Plain and simple.

excuse me?

16. Borje

Borje Banned

Mortis: What he said was "Blocking animation is not allways visible"

Good work, and thx for taking the time to test this!

I remember seeing some video where, among other skills they used Assasins Blade Fury skill. That made me raise an eyebrow, especially since some people said that they had been using a very high level on the armour. Blade Fury is known for the fact that it need AR to hit and that it has no AR bonus, thus giving a low AR. Couple a low AR with a high level on a skill that boosts your armour and things are not that wierd anymore. :scratch: I like chilling armour and sometimes I've had the feeling it's blocking stuff in PvM but still, I do believe it's just me teleing around, spamming skills and checking for drops that made me miss a minor life loss..

Good job, guys, and thx!

17. peterpaulrubens

peterpaulrubens IncGamers Member

It should be if you're doing nothing else as in your first test.

18. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

Ah yes. More speculation, that's what we need.

If you really think that everything that happens in the game also happens on the screen (and vice versa), you're in for a surprise.

@PPR: well it should be easy to test either way.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  19. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I think that and the fire bolt video pretty much settles it. CA does not deflect attacks.

20. MortisNostre

MortisNostre IncGamers Member

You really got all that from "excuse me"?

Anyway, see PPRs post, thats IS the point.