Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Childhood Memories?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jmervyn, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

So the "what are you listening to" thread made me think - we probably haven't had any threads about early, obscure memories that members have had. Painful, not painful, whatever floats your boat.

If you think I'm reaching, bear in mind that the OTF has seen numerous threads about shaving and hair care over the years...

One of my earliest memories was sledding in an inner-tube of a tractor tire on my Dad's farm with my siblings. Circa 1966.

I remember watching my Mom pack for the trip to Arizona (eventually leading to divorce) from something like one of these circa 1969.

[​IMG]

I have also mentioned one of my earlier TV recollections which I couldn't discern from fantasy until I was able to find it on the Internet and prove to myself that I hadn't gone mad. Looks like the whole thing is online now... (simply begs to be the intro for a movie treatment of X-Com: Enemy Unknown)

2. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster Diabloii.Net Member

And how old were you during those moments?

My earliest moment is in last kindergarden class, 5 years old,
    I brought my favourite teddybear to class (everybody did, it was an "assignment")
    and the teacher made a huge "train" of the animals, from biggest to smallest.

A side memory of that moment is that the italian kid had to leave earlier
    because he was talking "karate" class (this is not a joke, perhaps even inspired by the movie itself)
    This was back in the days that we've never seen or heard from black people or muslims!
    Really, spanish people and italians were the only non-belgians we knew at this point.

Oh how I miss those moments ^^

3. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Interesting idea for a topic. I have alot of memories - including a rather longish one that I had meant to post in the "god thread" some time ago but didn't (there just didn't seem to be any room to share anecdotes in that discussion). Maybe I'll share it here sometime when I'm not feeling lazy.

A few short recollections:

(1) The (arguably) oldest memory that I can recall is having a stomach bug and being curled up on my grandmother's lap while she read me an Avengers comic. I feel barfy. She picks me up to carry me to the bathroom. I proceed to throw up oatmeal all over the both of us... lots and lots of oatmeal (according to her), all in one big go.

Speaking of my 'saintly' grandmother, she loves to tell all potential girlfriends this particular story along with my supposed penchant for running around the house in:

[​IMG]

... which I think is why I have such a pathological hatred for Supes (and cosplay... and LARPing). There's also the infamous "Turkeyman" story (of which there is, unfortunately, alot of photo evidence) that my folks love to recite and this is why I can't have nice things. :(

(2) Speaking of fowl:

I have a similar recollection, although it involves a radio series rather than television.

I was deathly afraid of the dark when I was little. My parents tried a bunch of things (including leaving the closet light on - which made things much worse; more on that another day); one of them involved putting a radio next to my bed.

Skipping ahead a few years, I always kept 'remembering' this patently ridiculous pair of lines that I swore was a figment of my imagination:

Male Voice: (Dramatic) CHICKENNNNNN-MAAAAAAAAAN
    Women: (spoken quickly) He's everywhere, he's everywhere!

Too absurd to possibly be based on reality, yeah? When I was an adolescent, I read a bit in Stephen King's Danse Macabre where he very briefly mentioned a radio program called "The Adventures of Chickenman." That made me REALLY curious but I wasn't able to solve the mystery until I had the help of the internet many, many years later:

(3) My earliest memory of TV involved Doctor Who (Tom Baker's debut) when it first started airing in the US (I think) on PBS. I must have been about 7 or 8 years old at the time. Originally, it aired in 30 minute installments in the late afternoon (every weekday IIRC). I was instantly hooked and my love for that show lasted well into my late teens.

I was also introduced to Lost in Space (thanks to my dad) around the same time. I still adore that show. /nostalgia

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Oh, is that little jmervyn in the Dalek armor... err space capsule?

I was 3 when I fell into a field of stinging nettles in the summer, wearing nothing but shorts. It got an ice cream to make me stop crying... a Dolomiti IIRC:

[​IMG]

My oldest TV memories are the Bärenmarke advert, the Sandmännchen show (the sandman sends the small children to bed) and - 3-4 years later - fragments of the 1974 football WC final.

5. Dawnmaster

Der mainzelmännchen is another one of my favorite childhood memories, I loved those little guys!

And ofcourse, every sunday morning (pre noon?) watching the German Science program with "Der maus under dem elefant!"

6. Dredd

Before my eyes had fully focused on the picture, I thought it was a dalek too - specifically the old school "dalek emperor"! :D

[​IMG]

EDIT: No, I don't know why either! I have a nerdy brain.

7. jmervyn

None of your beeswax. Pretty young; my earliest memories were from about 2 years old but they're not interesting - just stuff like my sister's girlfriend picking me up from the back seat of the car, or getting sick in the same back seat as the family drove down a steep grade.

I couldn't find a proper picture of the space capsule swing - it was something out of one of those oddity catalogs. It had a plywood top and base with an entry hole accessed by a rope ladder in the bottom. It was red, white & blue, but also with grey & black.

That's just SO trite. Like something out of a sitcom - I honestly didn't even know they existed.

Still, you're much better off with that un-pleasantry than mine - you want to talk about horrific nerdiness? My Mom outfitted me in the Tuffskin colored denims when I made the painful transition to middle school.

Hell, I could have told you about that... though I don't recall that much of the show.

8. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged Diabloii.Net Member

Interesting topic. Many of my strongest early memories are not ones it would be pleasant to share but ...

Sleeping in my bed with a Vicks steam inhalator going during one of my battles with bronchitis.
    Sleeping in an oxygen tent in a hospital when the bronchitis escalated to pneumonia.
    Losing my spectacles in a sand pit when I was three.
    A dream I had when I was very small that resembled an episode of The Monkees.
    The first girl I liked - Bridget. We must have been all of five years old.
    Watching Dark Shadows (the first version of it) on TV.
    Watching the first Moon Landing on TV.
    My Dad building our first colour TV.
    A particularly spectacular bicycle crash where, paradoxically, I blanked out part way through and have no recollection of how I got through it. I remember it well!
    Getting run over by the neighbour's car, on his driveway - front and back wheels both!

Wow, before I started, I was convinced I wouldn't remember anything that wasn't rather unpleasant!

9. Dredd

They were wildly popular when I was little. I recall there being versions for Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America and possibly others. There were underoos for girls too although I only remember Wonder Woman. I'll go out on a limb and bet that there were also Spider-Woman and Super-Girl versions.

They're trite, I agree, but kids really did love them.

I had to google because I have no idea what Tuffskins are. Do they look like any of the images in this thread? They look rather uncomfortable.

I had no capacity for fashion sense in middle school but I did at least put the brakes on letting my parents pick out my clothing. Mom's idea of a swanky outfit: green corduroys + skin-tight tan turtleneck + cowboy boots. Now imagine that superimposed on a boy with strawberry blonde hair, a bowl-cut and giant buck teeth. Considering that my mother is a bonafide sociopath, it wouldn't shock me in the least if she dressed me that way knowing full well it would make me a bully-magnet.

Neither my parents nor my grandparents nor any of my schoolmates had any idea what I was talking about when I'd mention it, thus reinforcing the idea that it was just something I'd imagined.

That show was also mentioned in Danse Macabre.

I remember occasionally catching re-runs on some rinky-dink local tv station in the very late 80s. I thought it was a pretty clever subversion of the classic soap opera formula. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "good", but it was certainly interesting.

10. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged Diabloii.Net Member

Best of all, my childhood memories include this amazing, magical series. A huge part of the iconography of my youth.

11. jmervyn

I have no idea why those passed me by, except that my Mom probably wouldn't have bought them (having spent all the money she intended to on the space capsule swing, and saving the rest for use at the faculty gin joint).
    Yes. Yes they do. I even once had a child modeling job wearing them... banana yellow version, at that... at least she never bought me the plaid ones. Plus, corduroy and turtleneck describes my wardrobe for the most part.

Since this is the memory thread, I'll share one which I know enemies of mine (Leftists) have immediately screamed "A-HA!" at: I was playing in the yard at a ripe age (four?) when a repairman walked up and asked, "Little girl, is your mother home?"

The long, curly blond hair, y'see? I replied in my best baritone, "I'M NOT A LITTLE GIRL!"
    It's one of my wife's absolute favorites; she never missed an episode. They came out with some more on DVD just a few months ago.

Dawnmaster likes this.
  12. Dawnmaster

Luckily I always had short black impossible hair ^^

13. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

*sigh* I've been meaning to chime in on this, but haven't been feeling too social lately.

I actually remember quite a bit of stuff from my early childhood. I seem to remember more from the ages 3-5 than I do from 6-8 for some odd reason. Some earliest memories are roadtrips (like whirling around mountain roads with a 500' drop 1' away from the edge of the car! That'll leave an impression! Dad thought my reaction (abject terror) was quite entertaining.), TV shows (Looney Tunes, Flintstones, Scooby Doo, and Heathcliff mostly), and random interactions with family members. My sister started teaching me numbers really early. My brother started teaching me cuss words really early. :D They both turned me on to rock and metal music really early. All 3 of those projects went better than my dad trying to teach me to work on/build things earlier than I was ready. I had the hammer thumbs to prove it.

When I got into Kindergarten, my sister's efforts resulted in dropping my teacher's jaw. She brought us each up to her desk to see how high we could count, and on my turn I got up to over 200 when she stopped me and asked how I had ever counted. I replied over 6,000 by counting cars coming the other way on the highway coming home from a recent vacation. She was astonished and asked how high I thought I could count. I said (and I quote) "999 zillion*, 999 trillion, 999 billion, 999 million, 999 thousand, 999. I have to stop there because I don't know what comes after zillion." *I discovered later the zillion isn't a real value and should have been quadrillion, but she was sufficiently floored.

Let's see about some toys:
    - I had a little truck I could drive around in with my feet (no floor, think Flintstones car). I went EVERYWHERE in it! I ran all over the neighborhood in that thing when I was 3 or 4. No one was worried about it either. Different times. Let's see, I had a cereal-box license plate on it that a neighbor girl took off and starting destroying when I didn't want to be her boyfriend. Taught me a valuable lesson about women. ;) Then we had a tornado go through where I could feel the house lift up momentarily. I thought it was awesome (no one else did, obviously), but I never saw my truck again! I was heart-broken!! Luckily, my dad was starting to make more money which led to it being replaced by...

- A motorized Bigfoot truck I could ride around in! It was cooler in theory than in practice because A.) the battery didn't last long, so I always ran it out far from home and had to push it back, and B.) the other kids around insisted, nay DEMANDED, that I drive them around with it even though it would clearly go over it's weight limit, making it run slow as heck and draining the battery in a few minutes. We moved shortly afterward though, going from being around a bunch of douchebag kids to being in the MIDDLE OF ****ING NOWHERE!! Being isolated from civilization (as it felt), probably fueled my next obsession...

- When I was 5 or 6, my older cousin got a Nintendo for Christmas and I thought it was the coolest thing EVAR!! To make things worse, the dickhead wouldn't let me play it, even when he wasn't playing! It wasn't because he was afraid I'd break it, he was just rubbing it in! I bugged my parents for an entire year for one. Next Christmas, I got a used ColecoVision. I was not impressed lol!! I bugged them for the entirety of the NEXT year until they finally relented (the prices having come down by then probably helped as well)! I think that's the only thing I ever really obsessed over getting as a kid. After that I was back to being happy getting random crap.

I have plenty of negative memories too. Everyone in my house used to fight like cats and dogs. My mom, brother, and sister were all certifiable at the time. Eventually me and sis got to fighting too (over the TV :p) cause she had to suffer the indignity of babysitting me, and she'd be DAMNED if she had to watch a single show I wanted to!! (Oh! That reminds me about the joy I had (and the horror everyone else had) when I discovered that magnets make the TV colors go all squirrelly!! It took them a while to ween me off of screwing up the TV!)

I've got a couple of weird religion-based stories too, but I'm not sure I feel like getting into it.

Swap in long, curly brown hair, and that could've been me. Multiple times. Once, a substitute teacher called me a girl in front of the whole class. :mad:

Most people would have wanted to cut their hair, but I decided then and there I was gonna grow a beard at the earliest possible convenience. [​IMG]

LozHinge the Unhinged likes this.
  14. jmervyn

At first I thought you were talkin' Tonka! I had a quarry truck, one of those stretch road graders, and something like a Versatile with a wide scoop.
    You already did, and I won't bother going, "A-HA!" - feel free if that's what floats your boat.
    See, my Mom wouldn't pay for the haircut & I didn't have cash or transport. She loved me with this feckin' bushy wreath around my head (my elder brother had a genuine afro, and looked a bit silly). One time my grandfather took me to his barber, who asked me if I wanted a typical boy's cut. I said sure, not realizing he meant a typical boy's cut from the 1930's, and came home with a "high & tight". Even though it was a bit traumatic, I realized then how much I preferred shorter hair, particularly given Tucson in the summer.

My first (chivalrous) lady love and kiss was at church camp when I was about 10. It was up in the mountains, complete with bungalows, mixers, pine trees, and spin the bottle. Her name was Leslie, and she wore train-track braces and had horrible glasses, and I wasn't at all serious about a relationship (at 10). However, I didn't realize until later in middle school how crippling being a "nice guy" would be with the chicks...

I named my go-kart after her.

15. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Earliest memories (a few from around 2 years old) are Significant things & I'm not going to share the first ones here, but when I was 5 after kindergarden I would eat lunch (spaghetti O's) on a lacquered Asian TV Tray if front of the 1960's TV (B&W 12 inch screen vacuum tubes) and after Watching Sheriff John show everyday as a kid I would get knightmares about the Crusader Rabbit carton.
    Crusader Rabbit is the first animated series produced specifically for television.[1]
    :D[​IMG]
    I did not connect the two until years later though. Well after Monty Pythons Holy Grail was out.

Edit for: Brylcreem and a flat top with a wave in front. The Sound of clippers, and the early 1960's comics & TV, smells etc. Barber shop memories.

I have not been in one in 30 years and am not going back BTW

I only trim my split ends now and wear a ponytail.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
    Leopold Stotch likes this.
  16. Technomancer

Hah, now that you mention it, I think I remember a Tonka bulldozer at some point! It may have been my brother's actually, but I managed to play with some of his hand-me-downs that didn't get tossed. He had a totally rockin' set of Star Wars toys too (with a Millennium Falcon even!), but they somehow got lost in the move. :/

With me it was the opposite, the long hair was my call. The folks weren't too thrilled about it, but it was more important to me than it was to them, so they just let it go. Long hair was all the rage in the 80's and it had me at hello. ;)

17. Dredd

Dang spoilt keeds these days!

I had to put up with whatever horrifying coiffure my folks saw fit to torture me with until I got my first job and started paying for my own haircuts. I had to endure Beatles-like bowl cuts until I was about 10. After that, it was usually some kind of hedgehog-like spiked abomination.

I got my first job when I was 15, so that's when I started turning into a long-haired freak.

Leopold Stotch likes this.
  18. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

I was reminscing about your grandmother in August. :) She came up in conversation I was having at the time and it made me smile. We were talking about names. ;) Anyways, I hope she's doing wonderful.

had we gone to school together, I would have had the biggest crush on you and would have shown it by shyly saying "hi, may I touch your hair? It's so pretty."

My earliest memories date to when I was at least two. Not sure if my brother had been born yet, but Mom tells me we were living in San Diego at the time and all I remember was walking along the shoreline. The outfit I wore was white with lime green trim and it had Mickey Mouse plastered on the front (I recall the details more because of pictures I had seen of this outfit. Before seeing them all I could vaguely remember was the colors). I'm walking and then suddenly it feels like I'm drowning. I'm screaming my little head off; I thought I had fallen into the ocean. Technically, I did. I tripped and flopped in the water but because I was no more than two, ofc it's going to freak a toddler out. Also, I was very wet and I don't think i liked that much. (that's NOT what she said)

My fear of spiders came around this time as well. It had to have and the saddest thing is is I don't know if this actually happened or if it was a dream. I'm going to swear it did happen but it was so long ago... Again, no older than two or three and I wake up. It's early morning. I get out of bed do something. the next thing I remember is turning around to look at the bed I just got out of and this huge black spider crawls out from under my bed and onto my pillow. I remember freezing and then maybe going into my parent's room and stared at my father, praying he would wake up soon.

I remember the first "freak" i ever liked. His name was Eli and he was the kid who wore jncos and long band shirts to school. He had the prettiest blue eyes I had seen and long blond hair. When he put it up in a ponytail, he had it shaved underneath so it was like the top part of his head was covered with hair. Man, I fell hard for that kid but was so nervous. Never said more than two words (if any) because I was a goody-goody. Did not dress the way he did, was just barely dipping my toes into the metal scene at that time (nu-metal, industrial). I like to think that he had a permanent impact on me even though he did not know who I was.

I remember the OKC bombing. I was 6 or 7, living in OK at the time. I rememebr getting mad because it interrupted my Power Rangers and my mom was really upset. She said, "Little Leo, lots of people got hurt! Even died! That's not very nice." So I sat and watched but the scene was so devastating... something about a daycare. I put my face into my hands and wept. Then PR came back on and I was like, "Wait, what's happening now? Don't change it!"

When my mom talked to me about death. Don't recall a sex talk but I remember the Death talk.

The first time I saw my step-father hit my mom...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  19. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

"The first time I saw my step-father hit my mom..."

OUCH!
    Hugs
    :D

20. Technomancer

Dude, I had a drowning scare as a toddler too! I think I was 3 or 4. My sister took me to the pool one day (nothing unusual), but today, some of her friends were around. She was holding me up because I hadn't really learned to swim yet. A friend of her's splashed her with water and she innocently reacted by assaulting... I think it was a him? Anyway, she let go of me and I sunk to the bottom of the pool like a rock! I wasn't even freaked, I just thought the view was interesting! Several seconds later, I kicked off the bottom and went back up. I was greeted by my sister losing her f'ing mind! She was screaming out my name and crying (she was probably 12?), she must've thought she killed me because I stayed down there for a while. By all accounts, I was down there for quite some time, but in retrospect, I think adrenaline may have skewed everyone's clocks. I was cool as a cucumber though, and I was trying to make sure she was ok!

After we got out of the pool and she got herself together, she asked me to please not tell mom. I agreed not to, I didn't think it was that big a deal (even though it could have been). Later that day though, she cracked and told on herself (or I think word may have gotten back to my mom through other channels). I wasn't around at the time, and never found out what happened, but apparently some shit... went... down... Afterward I tried to tell mom I was fine and it wasn't a big deal, but she didn't pay attention. No one ever took me to the pool after that. I was totally bummed. The event itself didn't scare me at all, but everyone making such a big deal out of it kinda made me scared of water after the fact. I'm still not incredibly comfortable in water to this day.