Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chests near hell meph?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by acb123, Feb 22, 2004.

1. acb123

acb123 IncGamers Member

Chests near hell meph?

Some one told me that he found 2 tals armors from the chests near hell meph. Then I asked my friend if it was possible and he said the chests near hell meph can drop any item in the game. Anyway just wondering if this is true or if it is just BS.

2. myolosolo

myolosolo IncGamers Member

I think opening chest depends on your lvl that you are, so if you were lvl say 95, i believe anything can drop from hell chests. Don't quote me on that.

3. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

Well if such is the case, it hasn't happened to me...

Just pondering since Hell Meph, CANNOT drop Tal or IK armor, can opening those chests actually drop those rare sets.

As for me my Hell Mepher is a ** sorcy... so if u need to be 95 to get those chest to drop Tal's - I guess I'm seriously trouble.

4. annr

annr IncGamers Member

who cares just pop the damn things EVERY TIME.

i found my first and only shako and my first hoz from them.

5. myolosolo

I am not saying you have to be 95, I just picked out that # randomly. I am not even sure how the chest work. I thought it was based on your char lvl

6. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

I usually pop the chest neway - unless there's a heavy group of blood lords. There are times, I'll even go to town to buy keys....

7. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

I've never heard that chests drop based on character level. I don't think it's true. Can you say where you found that information? I would be really surprized if the chests can drop better than Meph. That said, I still usually pop them because I've found some gems and charms that were decent. I think the best item that ever came from a chest in that area for me was a Trang's armor.

8. myolosolo

I well look for it again, don't remember exactly where, but who knows, maybe is was one of the mods i was playing. All I can say is just open all the chests you see.

9. Kilmin

Kilmin Banned

Actually, yes i do belive they can drop tals armor and ik armor. Only because I did find a valor off meph *nothing outta ordinary* but i also have found rare laquered plate and socketed laquered plates as well out of the chests/armor stands.

10. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

Prop drops have their own TC, it used to be 87 i think, not sure how it is now with the TCs being changed. They have nothing to do with clvl and although highly unlikely i believe it is now possible for them to drop tals.

I really wish there was a chart that showed this now like this site had for 09.

11. Stormie

Stormie IncGamers Member

I don't believe that is true, but chest drops are one of the more complicated bits of item-drop logic, so I'm not going to swear to you that it isn't.

12. kurg

kurg IncGamers Member

Not too complicated. Blizz programmed it this way: Chest drop: 99.999999 percent chance of utter crap. 0.00000001 percent chance of godly item.

At least when I'm in the game that's the way they're programmed.

Incidentally, does anyone know about the armor stands by meph? I've never even found a blue (magic) item from them. Do they ever drop anything but white items?

13. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I never skip those chests every since my first solo Meph Hell run in SC looooong ago when I died like 3 times killing him with no resists as I thought it was MF that was important! After he dropped all crap I poped the center back chest and got Shaft and silks and a 17 small lifer........it has never been that good again but I still get good things from those chests.

I am a chest poper by heart, when solo I pop most any chest around and it pays. You can pop 1000 chest and get nothing but gold and then once at lvl 27 no mf you might get a Stone!!!

Also seems like about once every week or two a chest will toss out like 7 rares at once or something similar and Ill be damned if I am going to miss that type of possibility!

14. jsiv

jsiv IncGamers Member

Judging by TreasureClassEx.txt, the chest by Meph should be level 78 and able to drop up to TC75. I'm not entirely sure on this one so someone please doublecheck.

It also appears to be able to drop up to the Ber rune.

15. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Back in the day, I got Ist from a chest/dead rogue in cows... twice! I've always kicked props, but I don't think I've ever gotten a Unique or Set from the "uber" chest behind Meph. Over 3 days however when I was trying to find a Shako, I found my 7th Atma's Wail (yes, 7 in 3 days!) from one of the chests below the stairs at Meph. For those of you who don't know, Shako and Embossed Plate are in the same TC...

*tears hair out*

16. annr

annr IncGamers Member

when i said chests i meant armor/weapon racks

pop those definitely every time

17. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

my luck

I know it's not that l33t anymore, but I've gotten shaftstop from one of those chests. That's good enough reason for me to check em :)

18. ConnerMacleod

ConnerMacleod IncGamers Member

Impossible.

Per the MPQ, the chests around Mephy will match the level of the normal monsters (as is the case throughout the game). The Vampires running around those chests are like level 82 (IIRC)... so ilvl is gonna be around there. Since the TC of Hell Meph is 78, you have a total BS story.

Snarko is Armor TC60 by the way, HoZ is 51... so pop away.

Case in point: I had people convinced in one game I was running (NM Act 3 Flayer/Great Marsh) that the drops were bugged there to be able to drop anything in the game. I showed them my Dimensional Shard and Ormus Robes as proof. The logic being that nobody ever does Act 3 anyhow, so it's a goldmine for the people that play all the way through. I had these people convinced. Needless to say, this rumor will be floating around very very soon, and now you know how it got started. (I was actually farming Grand Charms for cubing, since that's a good place to get them)

19. Mcsaladshaker

Mcsaladshaker IncGamers Member

Btw i found stuff like Giant threshers in durance 2, is that normal

20. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

I don't think the chests can drop Tal's armor, but the armor racks can. I have gotten M'avinas armor from the armor rack near Mephisto and more than half a dozen white or grey Lacquered Plates. It's just a matter of time when I'll get a green one :)