Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chests and Traps

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Chests and Traps

One of the more memorable things from my time playing D2 pre-release at BN in 1999 was dying from a trapped chest. I was playing a sorc and had put almost no points into vit since I was using them all in energy to make my spell casting faster since I was always out of mana, and health pots were quite scarce in that early build. Thus I was something like lvl 14, with maybe half my hps, probably no resistances, and one of the nova chests banged me straight to the afterlife.

I'm pretty sure that was the last time I (or anyone?) ever died to a trapped chest, since their frequency and their damage was turned down a lot before release.

That said, would expanding the role/danger of trapped chests in D3 be appealing to players? Would you like there to be actual danger from them, either in bigger damage impacts or more varied traps? Imagine not just bigger damage, but more varied stuff. One that spawns a Slow Time bubble that only slows players (not monsters), or that spits out repeated bursts of chain lightning, or spawns half a dozen Hydras all around the vicinity. Or Evil Urn style monster spawners.

Those sound like very cool ideas to me, but wouldn't they have to be balanced by better potential chest rewards? Where would the line be drawn between risk/reward? How dangerous would chests have to be before you'd actually hesitate to open one, instead of just clicking everything in sight as you do in D2?

I remember making numerous evil urn preparations D2X in v1.09 when MSLE bosses were still potentially instant (invisible) death. Casting my decoy, making sure the area was clear, checking my escape route, getting ready to cast Slow Missiles, etc. I don't want D3 to repeat that, since the real dangers in D2 came from bosses with buggy modifiers, but I think having to prepare or take seriously the creaking sound of a trapped chest as it opened would be a nice addition to the game.

2. Kiroptus

Kiroptus Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Chests and Traps

I think Evil Urns types are the best because at the same time its a bad thing it can be a good thing if drops from the mobs end up being good, I always open all Evil Urns on Act5 and I get sad if I get those boring little spiders. But yes, MSLE monsters were creepy, an those extra fast-fanatiscism moonlords as well.

D3's Traps can be as you described: A time bubble, many Hydra spawns, a constant source of lighting spam (for X ammount of seconds) but I am against boring types of traps like a Nova Trap, you just open and instantly take the damage, big deal...fire bolt trap were pathetic as well.

Ah and the Mimic (no, not that clown in grayscale that likes to mimic people) the chest monster and no its not exclusive to Torchlight, the Mimic monster chest is known from many many past RPGs, I would like to see a nasty mimic on Diablo 3, or types of mimics, a caster, an extra-fast extra strong physical dealer. I think that such a loot-centric dungeon crawler as Diablo needs the Mimic.

I think traps can spice up the dungeon crawling but it must be something that can be avoided and at the same time rewarding, I think that a trap which makes you want to slow down your gameplay is not good for what D3 is shaping up but a trap that can add a diferent challange scenario on an otherwise mundane action can actually be a good thing.

Also there are no TPs now, and health potions are scarce, taking that poison cloud trap from a chest can end up crippling you on the next fight with the monsters mob so I guess even the boring Nova trap or the pathetic firebolt trap would at least serve some purpose.

3. Lanthanide

Lanthanide Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely there should be traps. However they either need to give you 1-2 seconds after the 'trap sprung' sound to avoid them, or they need to not be super damaging, but more tactical as Flux has said. Like one that creates a nova (that can injure enemies), or fire walls, or slow time bubble and the other examples Flux gave.

Insta-death from a trap is simply lame and not fun. There's no room for skill involved at all, you simply get hurt and maybe die if you're on low HP.

4. Varquynne

Varquynne Diabloii.Net Member

More trap variety would be great! One of my favorite parts from the initially released gameplay video was the trapped room. Having the chest disappear below the floor followed by the activation of the ghostly orb wraith generators was a really nice touch.

Potentially lethal, though? As Lanthanide mentioned, I wouldn't want anything that could instantly kill you from full health (such as some from Baldur's Gate or the Elder Scrolls games). That would be terrible, especially for a hardcore character. However, traps with a moderate level of danger would be good. Just enough to make you momentarily pause and consider your status before opening that chest.

5. kemo

kemo Diabloii.Net Member

Also, where it was easy to heal up with pots before a trap, you might see yourself running around with no so much HP more in d3.

EDIT: That gave no answer at all. I'll try again.
    I love the chest traps. That warning sound always makes me jump my seat while otherwise boringly killing monsters.

6. Ashley Riot

Ashley Riot Diabloii.Net Member

monster spawning urns were nice, would love to see them return in d3. i always bashed those whenever. still puzzled as to how monsters could fit inside tho.. are they inflatable dolls? dehydrated monster figures that rehydrate to full size when in contact with the moisture rich air of sanctum?

7. Nihilas

Nihilas Diabloii.Net Member

I really don't agree with any of you above. Chest traps made me not want to get chests and stuff alike. It rarely (if ever) dropped anything worth picking up.

And if you got annoying traps like poison you had to use the tp which resulting in slowing down gameplay and that is never was fun.
    Chests = annoying
    Because never any good loot(I kinda stopped picking them up so there might be smth good out of them) and might slow down gameplay.

If they reintroduce chest traps make it so that monsters spawns so we atleast get some fun out of it.

8. kavlor

kavlor Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah they can be quite freaky them Dungeonsiege ones are deadly and often wipeout the entire party so your forced to keep your healers out of its range.The only thing is they might be a little too comical looking for D3 unless they spawned in say a secret level(as in like the cow level).

9. Mizantrop

Mizantrop Diabloii.Net Member

I would love to see a trap that would teleport you to a locked room or maybe even a mini dungeon. Inside you'll have a few wave of mosnters spawns and maybe even a mini boss (depends on level/difficulty) that you'll have to get rid of in order to get out. Once you are out you'll get the loot from the chest which should be better than most D2 chest drops.

There should also be a way to evade this kind of trap, let's say that you hear a certain sound and than a nova-like light is spread on the ground around the chest and after x sec you'll teleport so you'll have a chance to get out of range if you play HC or don't want to bother with that kind of thing.

10. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Next to the standard damage types+sudden spawns I'd like the traps/urns/altars to contain bad curses or good buffs. Temporary effect of course but it will make you think (before you act) and adds randomness to the game.

11. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I recall a level 80+ in an HC game dying to a trapped chest in the Cow Level. It was a bug of course, but it was quite funny seeing "Player X was killed from Trapped Chest."

As far as their functionality in game - it wouldn't make much sense to have them if they weren't potentially lethal. I believe it should be lethal enough to cause people to think twice and heal up before opening something suspicious though, otherwise traps would be rather insignificant.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  12. Qwink

Qwink Diabloii.Net Member

In the first gameplay vid they showed a trapped chest that spawned orbs which in turn spawned ghosts. If they did more of those things it will be great. As with all things there should be a LOT of variety so it doesn't get boring/predictable.

13. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

I really like Flux's idea of a wizard time bubble and then spawning ranged monsters on the outside of it.

I don't really like traps that hit you immediately (such as D2's nova traps) -- I think players should be given a chance to use their skills to mitigate or prevent harmful trap effects.

14. Toetag

Toetag Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with many of you in that a trapped chest should not be able to kill you instantly. A trapped chest that spawns foe to give you a fighting chance would be great. One thing, though, if a chest is trapped, the contents should be worth fighting for.

15. LittleOldLady

LittleOldLady Diabloii.Net Member

I voted for "potentially lethal", but only if:
    - you're low on health;
    - you've neglected resistances; or
    - you don't leave when you hear the sound.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011
  16. Bad Ash

Bad Ash Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with this. Many times in the game I have blatantly ignored the trap sounds because I am at a point where I know they are harmless. Even at pretty low levels they dont do much. I think if they could actually cause you harm based on your lvl (maybe a % of life instead of a specific number) then that could make people pay more attention to them

17. Monster

Monster Diabloii.Net Member

I think lethal traps sound great on paper, but would end up really sucking in game.

18. cacophony

cacophony Diabloii.Net Member

I, too, am in favor of specially designed trapped chest. Random fireballs or novas are kind of lame and unimaginative. Granted, scripted traps are probably telegraphed (gee, there's a chest surrounded by a bunch of bloody panels on the floor; I wonder what will happen) but so what? Evil urns were cool.

19. Turnip

Turnip Diabloii.Net Member

Traps with a bit more effects would be nice, like the wall moving or a tidal wave or something. Firebolts coming at you was sort of lame.

20. fnwc

fnwc Diabloii.Net Member

I'd like to see a chest where a trapdoor opens beneath you and drops you into a small room with a bunch of brutes, or something similar.

If you were fast enough, you'd be able to <insert movement skill> off of it.