Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

chess help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eds01, Mar 25, 2004.

1. eds01

eds01 IncGamers Member

chess help

i recently started playing chess. i know all the rules and some basic things, like you should try to controle the center of the board, but would appreciated additional help. if any of you know good chess stratogies and things to try in my next game, plz post.

2. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I am feeling really lazy, but I found a nice site by Princeton (maybe Harvard?), do a search Princeton chess.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Search Google?

Otherwise kick'em in the shins and run.

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

5. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Try to determine how your opponent plays, which pieces he is partial to and eliminate them early.

6. Alex_Str

Alex_Str Banned

Sorry dude, Chess aint like Ping Pong where you can learn it in two days. I've spent 7 years playing the game, and I'm only like a 1700 rating on Yahoo. If you really wanna get good go get some books. "The Amateurs Mind" and "Reasses your Chess" by Silman are great places to start. Good luck.

7. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Once you have learned the basic openings and can develop your pieces and get into the middle game on an even par with your opponent, then you must look for winning combinations through forcing moves.

Research the pin, fork, discovered attack, double attack, priority of check, etc. and how they are used. Once you learn these tactics, look for forcing moves (eg., captures, checks, etc.) that makes your opponent respond. Use those moves to force him into your winning combination.

There are many good chess books with exercises that will help you advance if you wish to spend the effort.

8. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Distract your opponent, then take two moves while pretending to only take one. That's always help me.

9. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I would like to differntiate ping pong from table tennis...you can't learn taht in 2 days either

table tennis requires lighning reflexes, strategizing and good form (this is where I tend to lack) wehreas ping pong requires less than a 12er of brew and the ability to balance oneself.

do not be dissin' table tennis!

10. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

Yepper. Chess is about control (strategy) but one of the best ways to achieve control is through material superiority, that's where tactics come in. Learn to recognize patterns where these attacks can be employed, and avoid them yourself.

11. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

So tell me Steve, are you a looper, smasher or chopper? Do you play with a shake-hand grip or a pin grip? Do you use offensive rubber or some of that "funny stuff" on one side? :surprise:

12. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

If I'm white, then I try to follow Bobby Fischer, develop minor pieces, castle, then whatever, or if I'm black and they open E4, then I try sicilian

13. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

looper, but my pushes sometimes switch up the spin. my form is pretty sloppy so I always end up over exagerrating the moments...I haven't played in over a year...but that's what i was working on when i stopped. BTW i don't think smashing is a viable strategy...unless it means soemthing different than I think it does. loop is top spin chop is back spin...smashing is just aiming at the center of their table and creaming it right?

i started out on shake hand like most americans...I am much more balanced that way...but just for fun i switch it up and play pen grip...it's a bit harder to aim but the spin and the speed is incredible. I can't play any serious game that way though...it completely destroys my backhand...the moment is awkward that way.

I'm also tougher to teach than others because i'm a lefty so when you talk to people about it I'm all backwards.

if you didn't just look that stuff up then you could prolly beat me...I've never played anywhere where anyone is a stickler for the rules. most of the time the guys I plyed with didn't even toss the ball for a serve...they'd just serve out of their hand...which would drive me crazy (makes their serves sooo much better because they can throw the ball at their bat differently and i wouldn't be able to see it.

i use a double sided bat. it's got the flats out...and decent foam, no fancy tourney glue or anything. i just found a cheap (about $40) bat with a hollow handle that I could use to learn the game at the next level. the bat i learned with was a old school pips out no padding poorly weighted piece of crap. then i graduated to a pips in no padding with decent weighting. then when i beat the guy that taught me five straight games I bought myself the one i have now.

I went with a double sided so I could flip it and change the colors as I pleased. often when one side is got all the good stuff on it you end up letting them see the same moves over and over and they pick it up faster...if you change sides the red and black look just different enough that it takes them a bit longer to pick up what you're doing. remember the tiniest flick can completely change the spin, speed or direction of the ball.

after I got decent i started playing with glow in the dark superwhite balls under a black light. that was pretty cool but the rallies were really short becaus you couldn't tell waht anyone was doing...and someone always wore a white shirt which made it impossible to see. (someone told me that's illegal even in normal light).

i still play ping pong every once in a while...but getting drunk and hitting it back and forth is no where near as exciting as playing table tennis. unfortunately i don't live with those guys anymore so I don't really have a chance to play.

Anyway, as for chess. the things that help me in the beginning the most (and I'm not that good) seem to be getting more pieces involved early, castling to safety sooner and finding weaknesses.

every move ask yourself, what did that my opponents move change?

what is my opponent trying to do?

what am i trying to do?

what are my options?

which one is best?

the better you get at that the better your game with become. i can't help you with specifics because i'm not all that good, but that's what I was taught. i knew a guy who became a professional gambler...and he was a b player...he always beat me. bu i learned a lot. not enough clearly but a lot.

14. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I used to be a tournament player Steve. If you follow USTTA ratings, my highest was (briefly) in the mid-1800's. Of course, that was when I had took lessons from both a Chinese and Swedish coach.. I am semi-retired from that kind of play today.

A smash-drive can counteract underspin if it is done correctly. The speed and carry of the hit drives it over the net. You must carry the ball ( meaning keeping in contact with your bat longer than normal). It's a risker shot than the loop, but almost always a point winner.

In the serve, the ball must lie on your outstretched palm and be thrown up at least a few inches. Imparting spin with your non-bat hand is just flat out illegal. White shirts are illegal in match tournament play and the logo on the front must be limited to a patch. Shorts are also required as tournament apparel.

When you want to graduate up, try some Mark V for offensive rubber ... it's good stuff. Most top tourney players re-glue their rubber before they play as it adds to the spin imparted on the ball.

"Funny stuff" is "junk" or anti-spin rubber. Usually played on the back-hand side, it reverses whatever spin is hit at it. Meaning if he blocks your top spin, then it comes back as a underspin push. Nasty stuff if you haven't seen it. In tournaments, we always check the opponents rubber before a match to see what he has. If you know what it is you can easily overcome this defensive rubber. It is also the reason that one side of the bat is red and the other black --- so one knows which side the junk is on.

You're a lefty eh? That's all right, unlike most players, my backhand is my most most natural shot. Probably comes from batting left and throwing right in my old baseball days. A lot of lefties like to practice with me :p

Find you a TT club in your area if you still like to play and practice. One of the most entertaining practices is rallying top spin. You can really go alpha wave with that as you .... "become the ball".

Enjoy ...