Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cheezomancer build

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Invictus_prime, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Invictus_prime

Invictus_prime IncGamers Member

Cheezomancer build

This build is all about taking advantage of synergy bonuses from charged items. Some would call that "cheezy", thus the moniker.

This build focuses on all off the lower level skills (Clay Golem, Poison Dagger, Teeth, Bone Armor). Why? The problem with these synergy bonuses at present is that they won't work unless there are NO skill points in the skill granted by the charges. So that means only the lower level spells/skill can benefit from this.

Here are the items that can be of help:

Venom runeword dagger - effectively multiplying Poison Dagger damage by 6.6
    Marrowalk - a no brainer. Aids the Bone Armor and offensive Bone spells.
    Metalgrid - Others might balk at this, but a Clay Golem with an extra 770 defense sounds pretty good.
    A Head-bag (preferably with +3b&P) with Bone Spear charges - bonus to teeth
    An amulet or circlet (preferably amulet, so you can use Blackhorn’s) with Bone Spirit charges.

Ok, now what? This Necromancer is not uber, and is limited to the lower level skills, how can this be effective? Well the answer to that is to max these lower level skills and find a playing style that works with it. These skills all have their strengths as illustrated below:

Teeth - Useful in dealing with large numbers of foes, majority of monster have no resistances to magic damage.
    PD - Decent poison damage, AR boost, and can use charms to boost damage
    Bone Armor - Undeniably a life-saver.
    Clay Golem - %Slow rocks!

So...you have a Necromancer that will be standing tête-à-tête on occasion, and spamming teeth on large groups, has the ability to take a hit, and has a buddy that slows things down. He'll probably die, and it took forever to find all of these items. WARNING: This build is not for the squeamish, cheap, unblessed, or ignorant.

How to make him survive through Hell:

Skill distribution:

1 in Decrepify, Summon Resist, and all the prerequisites.
    20 Poison Dagger
    20 Teeth
    20 Clay Golem
    20 Bone Armor
    The remaining skills should be placed in either Golem Mastery or Bone Wall depending on your style of play or any weird hair you have.

Stat distribution:

Energy and Life are this builds main stats. These will depend on your style of play.

Dexterity and Strength should only be pumped up enough to wear your equipment. Dexterity adds more physical damage and boosts AR, but physical damage and AR are not the emphasis of this build, and should only be considered if using a ranged weapon as a switch. After all, the Venom runeword has the super-nice "ignore target defense" mod, and daggers +%damage for each point invested is lame in comparison to other weapons.

Mercenary Choice:

Got to go with an act 2 Holy Freeze or any other Act 2 Mercenary that has a Doom weapon. This Necromancer needs to be able take his time and nibble away at his opponent, and slowing the monster is a highly effective way of granting more time to think.

If you choose to utilize the Doom runeword, the Defiance Mercenary is a good choice. The aura will further augment the added 770 defense for your clay golem.

If you choose the Holy Freeze Mercenary, then your Mercenary can further slow enemies down with a little poke from a Kelpie Snare.

Gear Choice:

%slow and +skills are your best friends here. %slow gives you time to kill with your low power, and +skills give you mediocre power. You'll have to decide for yourself, which is the best mix.

Below are some decent choices for both Necromancer and Mercenary for %Slow:

Blackhorn's Face - 20% slow and lightning absorb
    Cleglaw's Pincers - 25% slow, a must!
    Riphook - 30% slow, a valid ranged secondary weapon
    Blackbog's Sharp - 50% slow, a valid secondary weapon that allows the Necromancer to reach maximum %slow(90), though I'd save this for your next Venomancer build.
    The General's Tan Do Li Ga - 50% slow, a valid secondary weapon that allows the Necromancer to reach maximum slow, has a range of 3, and is cheap.
    Woestave - 50% slow, a valid secondary weapon that allows the Necromancer to reach maximum slow and has a range of 5.
    Kelpie Snare - 75% slow, over-kill for the Necromancer and allows the Mercenary to reach the maximum %slow(90).

+Skill choices:

Anything that gives +skills, or bonuses to the low level skill. These are too obvious to list.

Play:

If you follow the following credos, you should be fine:

1 - Decrepify is your buddy.
    2 - Nibble away at big groups.
    3 - Poke anything big.
    5 - Use secondary weapon at least once on bosses to achieve maximum %slow(90).
    4 - If in doubt, follow your Mercenary.
    5 - Running is ok.

I hope you enjoyed this mockery of a build.

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

An interresting idea. I just might try this out.

3. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

I'm pretty sure that items don't give synergies. First of all, these items give you a set level of a skill... they don't add +skills to your skill tree. Second of all, even if they did add +skills to your skill tree, only "hard points" that you get from level ups or quests count towards synergies. Because of this, Metalgrid will NOT add defense to your Clay Golem and the Poison Nove and Poison Explosion from Venom will NOT have any effect on your Poison Dagger damage. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. Others will tell you the same thing.

Otherwise, you have some very interesting ideas here. Too bad the synergies won't work.

4. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

It's too cheesy for me to try.

HoSv1

5. Mad Mantis

Since Carrion Wind and Marrowwalk do work that way, why would it be any different with Metalgrid and Venom?

I'm Dutch. Cheese and beer is what we like. What I liked was the use of the different skills together. I got some great ideas out of it.

6. kaervek666

kaervek666 IncGamers Member

venom works, at Slvl 20 your dagger will be doing about 3500 psn over 9 seconds, although that needs to be adjusted for venoms dmg/duration.

A venom dagger is a nice little addition to a standard summoner too :)

7. Ensis

Ensis IncGamers Member

I've heard of the "Marrowwalk Bug" but have never heard of the Venom, Metalgrid, or Carrion Wind Bugs... I guess they must exist though (wow, how many other buggy items are there??), in which case it's my mistake. Sorry.

8. Skips

Skips IncGamers Member

anything with a charge will do it, its just that not many items have a skill level of 33 and have so many synergys based on them...

9. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I'm going to help you guys out. Here's how it works. Carrionwind and Marrowalk work because your character has no hard points in the skills. If you have hard points in the skill your charges will be ignored at least for synergy. A rabies druid can get away with this because they can max Rabies without touching Poison Creeper. Thus a Rabies druid can't put points in any vines in order to exploit the bugg.

Same for a necro. Bone Prison is on top of the tree, so you are not screwing up any prerequisites by using this bugg.

There are other exploits of this bugg. I've seen fireclaws druids use molten bolder charges with max Firestorm in order to save skill points. But in general it doesn't work since you are keeping yourself from being able to max any of the synergies by exploiting these items. Since generally items that produce synergy are prerequisites or post requisites for the skill.

I hope this helps you guys out.

10. Mad Mantis

We knew that. The only thing I tried to do was make Ensis see that all the charged items work the way Marrowwalk and Carrion Wind work.

11. Invictus_prime

What, no derivations along the lines of "this is the worst build since the explodocro!"???? No flames!!!?

Ok, fine, I'll do it.

The Head-bag with Bone Spear charges and the amulet with Bone Spirit charges will be so hard to find, and metal grid is near impossible to find, and Marrowwalks.... This build is only for the 100+hr/week player. You smell Invictus_prime! (more like Invictus_lameoo!! )

12. Stahejinn

Stahejinn IncGamers Member

Isn't that considered flaming?

Besides explodecro is so great. Even in 8 players you can still kill off groups with a decent speed

Can multiple synergies work? Like 2 sources of Bone Spear etc.?

13. Mad Mantis

Theoretically they should. Haven't tested it though.

And who cares if you need "uber" equipment to make this build function?

14. Invictus_prime

I doubt it. Besides, you would need to have a rare headbag with dual charges of spear and spirit to really be worth it. The other option is to use a circlet with dual charges of spear and spirit, but would you would be unable to use Blackhorn's. Unfortunately Spear isn't an option for the ammy.....

if it did work, which I don't think it does, you could theoretically have 3 sets of Spirit charges and 2 sets of Spear charges. If they are in the range of lvl 10 or more.....then well, that would be insane!!!!! Fun to exploit, but insane!!!!!! Tooooo insane!!!! The synergies would be off the chart and you'd have max teeth as well.

Could someone with a good editor or someone with the gear check this?

15. lextalionis

Easiest way to check this is with a Rabies Druid, just have them put on two Carrion Rings and see where the damage goes. -- I'm betting it will only look at one set of charges for the synergy, but I still think its worth checking

16. Mad Mantis

The Dr00ds already checked it. Just one Carrion Wind is used to calculate the damage.

17. Invictus_prime

just curious....does anyone know what the max lvl is for charged item suffixes for Bone Spear and Bone Spirit????

Can you get lvl 20 charges?? 15?? 12??? ...or just crappy lvl 6???

Can you get >lvl 20????

Curious...curious...

18. Aegon

Aegon IncGamers Member

Just wondering...wouldn't it be more advantageous to spend the 19 points originally spent on Bone Armor on Bone Wall instead?

Bone Wall provides more armor per skill point and synergises with Teeth just as well.

Or am I just losing it?

19. lextalionis

They are trying to figure out what the max amount of Marrowalk bugg is possible. So they are looking for charges of Bone Wall too.

20. Patsy

Patsy IncGamers Member

Actually, upon finding Metalgrid (earlier post I did), I went ahead and tried it out, being that I don't have a single point in any golem past clay, and taa-daa!

It works. Clay got an eight-times boos in defense (rounded off for you math sticklers here). So... I can personally testify that adding Metalgrid does indeed 'enhance' CG.

Just so that you know.

-Patsy
    "Fat-bottomed girls make the rocking world go 'round!"