Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Check Out My Bear

Discussion in 'Druid' started by budgreen, Apr 2, 2004.

1. budgreen

budgreen IncGamers Member

Check Out My Bear

Hi, first post here. Been reading enough to know there is a lot of knowledge here, and I wanted you peeps opinion of my bear. Last night was a good night for him - he got to level 50, cubed his main weapon to make it exceptional, and found possibly his best item (Tal Rasha's deathmask or some such, even if he cant wear it yet). I haven't traded any items or twinked so everything he has he found. He's in NM Act 2. My general plan for him was to max WB, Maul, Lycan, Carrion Vine, and Shockwave. I've since tried Shockwave and found it to suck, so I didn't get it. Also, I'm now not sure I want to max Lycan, and pretty sure I won't get the vine past SL10 (diminishing returns).

Brumbar Level 50 Druid
    STR 120
    DEX 95
    VIT 132
    ENE 30

Skills I Use
    WB 20
    Maul 20
    Lycan 5
    Carrion Vine 5
    Summon Grizzly 2 (from Hawk Helm - plan on maxing this next)
    Armageddon 1 (also from helm, use this rarely)
    Raven 1 (just a pre-req for Grizzly, but, wth, I cast it anyway)

Life in Bear Form: 722
    Mana in Bear Form: 138

Base Damage in Bear Form (no maul charges): 152-549
    AR in Bear Form (maul): 2006
    Def in Bear Form: 1076

Weapon
    'Brumbar's Plague Razor'
    Rare Gothic Axe socketed w/ Shael
    Damage: 28-111
    Durability: 50
    Req Dex: 79
    Req Str: 115
    Req Lvl: 34
    Axe Class - Very Fast
    ---mods---
    +30% IAS
    +59% ED
    +12 AR :/
    Adds 15-58 Fire Dam
    +21 Poison over 4 secs
    6% Mana/hit

I have gauntlets that add 10% IAS. Armor is Glorious Ancient, def 346 w/ 17% FHR. Belt gives me 24% FHR for total of 41% FHR and 40% IAS. He wears Mahim-Oak Curio unique amulet (+10 to all stats and resistances).

He does ok in NM - I wouldn't say great. His resistances aren't that good (well, lightning is decent, about 40%). Uniques can still give him trouble and having the grizzly to tank helps a lot.

He can get up to about 120% MF is all, and that's wearing crappy armor socketed with topazes. He doesn't wear his MF gear in NM, just for killing normal Andy and Meph atm.

Would appreciate any comments regarding what's good for his level, what's lagging behind, and where I should go from here. I only play SP or TCP/IP with my friend (I think I would cry like a woman if I joined a public game and some punk PKed Brumbar). I use ATMA to stash uniques, sets, runes, and stuff, but Brumbar is my first real character so that will only help future chars.

2. newbiengod

newbiengod IncGamers Member

soy to read this. people are so rude. they want to pk u too look cool. i suppose i have never done though but i am gues ing. that happen to once they tried anyway but then they come to find out i wooped em. as for your druid he does hella low dmg, seing as how he is lvl 50 i would say get a good friend so he can give u nice stuff. to make your druid decent. sorry to say he is not good. u should just make a windy instead they are not that much item dependant. sorry could not hlp so much and good luck with druid

3. VictusMetuo

VictusMetuo IncGamers Member

Well, personally I would choose somewhat of a different setup skillwise. Your Maul and Werebear are fine, and if I was you, I would max Lycanthropy because more life is always nice. Personally I wouldn't bother with Grizzly so much, he's not quite the killer he used to be, but he can still be somewhat of a help. I think the reason why you didn't like Shockwave is that you used a low level Shockwave, whereas if you used a higher level, you would love the skill. If you're going to be untwinked you obviously need a higher level Shockwave since you will be swining at a slower rate. So you would need them to stay still longer. Shockwave makes the game so much more simple when it's at higher levels, you can use it in many ways. Personally I would have avoided the Vine but its nice to have something to devour corpses so they aren't ressurected. You also might want to look into getting a Spirit to help out your AR through NM and Hell.

It's hard to tell you what exactly to get since you're playing untwinked, but you need to of course make sure you have a fast but still a good damage weapon. Then work on getting your Resists up. Check the Calculator to see what Breakpoints you can hit and then go for that.

So I would leave the Vine where it's at, and max Lycanthropy, and personaly invest in Shockwave to get a higher duration on stun. After those, maybe invest in HoW for more AR, and your Grizzly.

Try to MF Norm Baal, he has some good drops of mid lvl items.

4. VVanker79

VVanker79 IncGamers Member

I would just like to second Victus' sentiment on Shockwave. As a fellow Druid noob, I thought shockwave sucked at first, too. But I stuck with it, and now at slvl 15 I would just like to state the Shockwave is the greatest skill ever. Especially if you party with casters. You can stun a large group of enemies and they're sitting ducks for Sorc's meteors.

5. budgreen

budgreen IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies and advice - I may reconsider Shockwave. I've alrdy put a few skill points in the pre-reqs for Grizzly so I'll probly get at least a few levels of it. Never hurts to have a tank, or a quick wall I can put up to cover an escape.

Last night I screwed up and exited the game to get my corpse back when I was dead. Trouble was I had died a couple times (trying to get to my corpse in Arcane Sanctuary) already, and when I reloaded the game all of my gear was gone. I lost my axe, my unique ammie, and everything else. Most of it I can replace (or approximate) pretty easy, but not that axe. I doubt any weapon that good will drop in normal, and nightmare is now exactly that for Brumbar. Right now I'm using a Goreshovel til I find something better.