Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Cheating

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, Sep 20, 2006.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Cheating

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...src=092006_1517_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters

I'm not really surprised. Cheating seems so rampant at college that it's just become accepted. :sad2:

2. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I see it as prepariation for the modern business world.

3. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Yeah - I read that this morning...I had some thoughts...

1) Those who cheat have less social conscience.
    2) those with less social conscience are more prone to success in business
    3) Therefore it only stands to reason that they would cheat

and

1) Those with social conscience don't succeed as often in business
    2) They are less likely to cheat, and may not fare as well in MBA school
    3) Therefore they are less likely to be in business, and more likely to be in a socially responsible role - arguably a better place for their social abilities.

Totally flawed logic...but just my thoughts

4. ragnar_ii

ragnar_ii IncGamers Member

All this says, is that social science and humanities lies about their college carreer more then anyone else.

5. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

In the business world, I'm pretty sure people rely on notes all the time. I know that it's important to have a good grasp of the subject, but you don't have to know everything verbatim. That's what notes (and interns) are for.

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Do they bring in notes like "Smile and say positive things?" No, they bring in notes that apply to the topic under discussion. The underlying principles is what you learn in Business school.

7. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

It would be incredibly easy for me to cheat on my web based class. Of course, it is not business but memorization of about 300 medical terms a week. It would be so easy to type the words and definitions in a spreadsheet then sort alphabetically.

I would just be cheating myself since this is material I will need to know.

8. DOC

DOC Off Topic Moderator

At my college, they take the honor code very serious. They have a student led board of punishment, a manual and if you observe cheating and don't turn in the student, you are technically in more trouble than the cheater.

9. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Not necessarily so. Typing the terms in would help you memorize them and in the future you'll have a comprehensive list of terminology you'll wind up using anyway. Think of it this way, remember back to the last time you took cold medicine and were in a fog all day. Even though you may know by heart the terms, you're unable to function on those days. That cheat sheet will be a necessity that day.

I myself have compiled several hundreds of cheat sheets just for that purpose and I'll be damned if I don't use them when I finish my degree.

10. AeroJonesy

I've got a professor that lets us bring whatever we want into tests. He just makes the tests so hard that you don't have time to look the stuff up.

11. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The way around that is to have your information cross referenced and bookmarked. I keep my information tabbed under the various reasons I look for it.

12. AeroJonesy

If you stop writing, you're gonna lose.

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

In that case, I'd better jsut make sure I already know the subject well enough to make the test no big deal. I already study my Masonic ritual work on a regular basis anyway, it's not like I've forgotten how to memorize stuff and perform under pressure.

14. AeroJonesy

Yeah, it's a great system for stopping cheaters.

15. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Jonsey..I am so at the point now that law school would have been so much easier for me than forensics. The science is going to kick my butt.

There is no way to cheat in certain fields. Every class is a building block on the next. Cheating just cheats yourself.

I am such a dork..I read Obar for fun. When I was a paralegal, we received the publication and I read every page. It was fun but not hard. This is fun but hard for me.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Erm, did anyone actually read the stupid article?

So maybe the first paragraph should be changed to:

As for this whole thing about people in business degrees being psychopaths, well I have to say that if you do a degree in business there's definitely something wrong with you. I also recall hearing an anecdote about a guest speaker at a prestigious American business school who was asked after his presentation what the one piece of advice he would give business students would be. He said "drop out". Because, he explained (or so sayeth the anecdote), not one single CEO of a major corporation in America went to business school. Their underlings did, but they didn't.

That's not what I thought interns were for... damn TV lied to me again.

17. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

This brings up a seperate question for me, one that I sort of remember being asked here before but I don't recall ever seeing an answer to.

What is Liberal Arts?

The article makes a distinction between Liberal Arts students and Humanities & Social Sciences students.

I am doing an Arts degree (History). The Arts Dept covers Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, Political Science, Foreign Languages (French, Spanish, Italian, Indonesian, Japanese), Gender Studies, English, Linguistics, Asian Studies, Communications (journalism), and Aboriginal Studies.

The Creative Arts Department is entirely seperate leading to a Bachelor of Creative Arts degree. The Creative Arts dept consists of Acting, Visual Arts, Creative Writing, Design, Poetry (aka a degree in masturbation), and Music.

So I'm kind of confused in what a Liberal Arts degree is.

For the record, I would expect that a MBA teaches you how best to cheat without getting caught.

I get the final exam on Monday for my Australian History class. It is a take home exam that consists of two 1000 word essays (which don't require referencing) and is due on the 28th of October...

18. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

I didn't know there was a Bachelor of Creative Arts.

19. Lostprophet

Lostprophet IncGamers Member

We don't take tests at my school. It's a particularly effective way of stopping cheating on tests.