Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charms, full return or not?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Kiroptus, Jun 10, 2008.

?

The return of charms...

1. Just like it is now, lots of magics and few uniques

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Only uniques so it doesnt polute the inventory with those

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. No charms at all, inventory is made to keep drops, not character attributes

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Charms, full return or not?

Charms are one of features that I really share a lot of love but also a lot of hate.

I really like the unique ones like the annihilus, torch and gheed. But on the other hand when I start to have too much of the blue charms of +res and +skills, I feel that more and more my inventory gets limited and I dont feel like removing it because it would weaken my character. So it keeps that dilemma and for such a loot hunting game that is diablo, it just not healthy.

In the end, you have to find charms and stick it into every orifice thats available in the inventory and the result is a poluted inventory screen that most of time you may end up having only one 3x4 of empty space.

Anyway would you want charms to return in full form, magic + uniques, only uniques or no charms at all?

2. KingAmazon

KingAmazon IncGamers Member

Re: Charms, full return or not?

I think they should stick with having magic + unique charms but change the system a bit. Maybe we should have a separate inventory screen similar to armor/weapons etc that can only hold charms. Basically, you would "wear" your charms and have a specific amount of space for them. This way they aren't cluttering up your inventory.

3. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

yay for overpowering your character, and over buffing!

"wearing" the charms is a silly concept. I mean, thats like saying why can't we have 10 fingers? Several slots for "earrings" and more than one ammulet?

The point of the charms wasting inv space was so you have to decide whats more valuable, the space or the +4 to life?

Perhaps just get rid of the charms and make the charactors more powerful.

4. KingAmazon

KingAmazon IncGamers Member

But the problem with using inventory space is, in a lot of cases, people load up their inventory completely. To really compete, you have to do the same. This leads to people having no inventory space, which is incredibly frustrating.

If they were to have a separate "inventory" for charms only, they could limit how many charms people can carry. Maybe it could be half as big as the inventory. Maybe it could work like the Horadric Cube or something, where you have a "Charm Holder" in your inventory. Perhaps there could be various sizes of "Charm Holders", so the bigger your Charm Holder the more charms you can hold.

I think it's a silly concept that the charms just sit in our inventory taking up valuable space. I realize that there should be some sacrifice for the benefits of the charms, but when you're filling your inventory, it gets to the point of annoyance.

5. Dorfoumous

Dorfoumous IncGamers Member

That annoyance is suppose to balance the concept of having overpowered charms.

By the way, the crap do you put in your inv besides charms in the first place?

Unless you are MFing the inv isn't really useful.

6. Nimbostratus

Nimbostratus IncGamers Member

The problem with "balancing" charms is that they can't be balanced.
    -You have characters with bad equipment that need the charms AND need the inventory space.
    -You have characters with good equipment who don't really need to find anything, and thus load up on skill/damage/life/etc. charms, making them even stronger than the poor ones.

On top of that, you have to consider how massive a difference it is for a character to go from no charms to a full inventory of them. When's the last time you saw a PVP character without a full/near-full inventory of charms?

Charms can go.

7. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I thought the charms took away from the power/importance of your ten body items. Since you can hold 40 scs with 20 life each (just an example), it seems dungos isn't really that valuable.
    Also, str requirements don't matter much any more either. You can simply mule a bunch of str charms and pump all your points into life. Same with dex requirments, etc.
    It seems we started 10 years ago with characters who can hold a precious 10 items, and now we can hold 10 plus 40. So that's 50 items that give you bonuses--way too many imo.
    Whenever I think about a new chr, I have to consider wether or not I will have 9 skiller gcs, and ugh....it just doesn't seem right. I agree with the points above about having to lose your inventory to be competitive and annoyance in a game so heavily involved with drops.

This may be irrevalent, but I kind of like the idea of ten fingers for rings, but each ring in the game in this case should only have one mod. This would be equivalent to the game as it is now, since ravenfrost has about 5 mods so two of them gives you 10 ring mods. With ten rings, you would still be limited to 10 mods but you could decide which mods you want. Just an idea.

8. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

Limit charms or reduce the number of charms. More unique, singular charms. Remove magic charms altogether. Charm crafting however could be a good idea. Maybe they should only be usable by the creator.

9. Planktonboy

Planktonboy IncGamers Member

I personally only used unique charms and then a few charms to patch up any holes in my resists and meet the next breakpoint for fhr etc. Perhaps if charms had diminishing returns when overused on one stat, this would re-balance the game so we only carry a reasonable number, not an inventory full.

10. trashX

trashX IncGamers Member

you say that 50 items giving a bonus is overpowered? not really imo, you have to see the cause of these 50 godly items. Without duping noone on b.net would have their godly equip
    And noone at all would have 40 3 20 20s or 9 skillers
    (of course its possible through endless mf runs but the equip needed for efficient mf runs comes from duping, u see what im getting at?)
    also the problem with unique charms is that since they are so good they must be ahrd to obtain, uber trist, uber dia. Those may seem easy but once again-> dupes helped out here
    I believe that if you fix the duping, you fix the OP charm problem, i hope you see my point. And i think blizz will try harder to keep dupes out of the game with D3.
    With this logic I believe there is nothing wrong with charms

Also charm-inventory is OP, charms balance ease to kill and mf profit

11. sicilian

sicilian IncGamers Member

How about this... Give each charm an element or attribute, like a "Fire" charm or a "Shadow" charm, etc. Then, make it so that combining two charms of different elements causes different adverse effects.

For example, combining a fire charm with an ice charm in your inventory would cancel out some of your cold and fire resistance. Or combining an earth charm with a water charm would bog down your movement and attack speed.

By adding negatives you make it harder to fill up your inventory (since you need the same elements to really power up), and you make players choose, do the mod benefits gained make up for the detriment of combining elements.

Also, it would prevent people from getting ALL of their resistances from charms, as obviously a fire elemental charm could only contain fire resistance etc. You could use charms to suppliment by boosting one area, but not as a cure all for weaker characters.

12. Ilikestuff

Ilikestuff Banned

the way i see it is if you want to fill your inventory up with charms, then thats your call. if you dont like that, then dont, and thats your call also. but like someone said before, what do you put in your inventory anyway besides charms? i leave 12 spaces available for items and that suits me fine. if and when i duel, i put the charms back in my invent and have a full invent of charms. its not difficult to find a way that works for you :)

13. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

+skill charms are much more in demand because energy does not boost spell damage and +% elemental damage is only on the highest end items like death fathom

in games like titan quest "intelligence" boosts spell damage and +% elemental damage is EVERYWHERE so +skill items are pretty much useless in comparison for caster builds

if blizzard is stupid enough to not make these changes to caster classes then +skill charms will once again fill up the inventories of caster classes

as for charms in general the more the better because they allow for even more creative builds and replayability

14. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

I think we should reduce blue charms, add another unique for each type of charm (small, large, grand) and add a few yellow (rare) ones. I know that's not an option, but it's what I vote for :p

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

Charms were an interesting addition, just in terms of the bonuses vs. inventory space trade off. They're somewhat unsatisfying since charms have such a high chaff to wheat ratio, and since inventory space isn't really needed in D2. So 99% of charm finds suck, but the 1% are overpowered if over time/duping chars end up with full invs of the 1% charms. And since inv space is largely irrelevant, the "penalty" for using charms is so slight that virtually all chars all but fill their inv with them.

Charms were still pretty useful when I last played on the realms during v1.09, but I only played HC and there charms were kept in circulation by high level deaths removing all the best ones (can't loot charms). In the SP I play now, charms are a lot of fun, since I don't mule anything but a good weapon to my new chars, so each of them only has the charms they find themselves.

Based on this I'm going to say that charms are great in concept, when they're relatively scarce and not that big on stats. However, like everything else in the game, they're ruined when duped since overpowered chars break the game balance.

I like the idea of more limits on charms; say they can only take up 50% of your inventory, or you have a charms pouch with half the inventory space, etc. Of course when you limit their space, it just makes the competition to find top ones that much more intense, and guarantees that every char will have all the allowed space filled.

16. Dirkw

Dirkw IncGamers Member

I agree 100%. So I say don't implement charms, so all characters can have clear inventories.
    As for the use of charms - we won't notice their absence if they just aren't there to be had.