Charms & all kinds of potions in a belt or?

Enkeria

Diabloii.Net Member
Would it be cool to see a come-back of the belt with slots? Having charms, health potions and exploding potions on it?

I think they could do something about that? And the flasks of which the health potions are stored could be used a few times before empty. You could stack up a few, ignore charms or go full on charms and become glasscannon? I dunno. Math and numbers of how to survive, do damage and all is something I never been good at.

Just an idea.

I did write about my charm idea and some people over at Reddit talked about a belt instead. What do you guys think?

My recent idea:

Using Charms in Diablo IV. [[ Idea ]]

Above: Original image, how the demo looks like in Diablo IV currently.

Above: Charms Version A. With scrollbar just like the other two sections "items" and "utilities".

Idea: You find charms out about. Each row represent active charms. You can only use 1 row at a time, and I the scroll should not be infinite, there needs to be a cap somewhere, which leads to Charms Version B.

Above: Charms Version B. No scroll, you can only use two rows of charms, one being active, one being idle. Each charm represent additional affect and effect of gameplay.

Idea: Now you are limited to actually carry around charms. They do take space in a different way from Diablo II, and one row is always active, you need to swap around and make your own row of charms to be active and fast-swap between 2 rows, either with hotkeys or by going to the inventory.

Attributes

Attack Additional attack stats.
Attack Rating Additional chance of succesful attack stats.
Defense Additional defense stats.
Attack / Defense Combination, less powerful, but more all-round
Minimum Damage When succesful attack, this adds minimal damage.
Maximum Damage When succesful attack, this adds maximum damage.
Critical Chance Adds % chance to make an critical attack.
Critical Damage Adds damage when succesful critical attack.

Mana (Sorcerer / Sorceress) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Spirit (Druid) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Fury (Barbarian) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Judgement (Paladin?) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Rigor (Amazon?) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Dark Blood (Necromancer?) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Focus (Assassin?) Adds % or solid numbers to this class resource pool.
Life Adds % or solid numbers to your pool of health, how much you can contain.

Magicfind Chance in finding magical items.
Goldfind Chance in finding more gold.
Materialfind Chance in finding more material loot.
Experience Chance in getting % more experience when you actually gain a level.

Thorn Chance of adding thorned damage on attacker.
Bleed Chance of adding bleeding affect on attacker.
Horror When succesful crital attack, chance to horrify surrounding.
Guidance Incresed map-coverage / Decresed ???. (Any ideas guys?)
Gloom Decreased map-coverage / Incresed ???. (Any ideas guys?)

Cold Damage Chance of adding elemental damage over time.
Fire Damage Chance of adding elemental damage over time.
Lightning Damage Chance of adding elemental damage over time.
Poison Damage Chance of adding elemental damage over time.
All Resistence Adds % or solid number to all resistance (attacked vs defense attribute, low but all-round)
Cold Resist Adds % or solid number to cold resistance (attacked vs defense attribute)
Fire Resist Adds % or solid number to fire resistance (attacked vs defense attribute)
Lightning Resist Adds % or solid number to lightning resistance (attacked vs defense attribute)
Poison Resist Adds % or solid number to poison resistance (attacked vs defense attribute)
Enigma Transmute some numbers from one random resistance to another. -10 Fire to +10 Cold for example.

Petrified Resist Adds % chance to petrified resistance (become stone or rooted in some way)
Stagger Resist Adds % chance to staggered resistance (shake shake shake)
Force Resist Adds % chance to force resistance (shield-damage / vaccum attributes etc)
Dark Resist Adds % chance to dark resistance (confused, seduced, blinded, unholy magic etc)
Blunt Resist Adds % chance to blunt resistance (blunt weapons and knock-backs)
Bleed Resist Adds % chance to bleed resistance (sharp weapons and bleed over time)

Medicin Natural defense against cold, ice, fire, smoke, lightning, poison & gas (environmental attribute, or add into all resistance which it fit above)
Bandaid Natural defense against traps that contain blunt, sharp, thorn or magical damage (environmental attribute, or add into all resistance which it fit above)
Shrine Buff Adds more seconds to specific shrine if you ever find one while wearing this charm.

Skill Buff Adds 1 random skill for random class. Decided on drop. Ethreal charm, will break.
Trait Buff Adds 1 random trait for random class. Decided on drop. Ethreal charm, will break.
???? One charm of each trait and skill for each class in game, to pinpoint your build.

Ear PVP % additional speed for x seconds once player hit you, cool-down.
Tooth PVP % additional defense for x seconds during pvp
Tongue PVP % additional poison resistance for x seconds during pvp
Jaw PVP % additional fire resistance for x seconds during pvp
Skull PVP % additional all resistance for x seconds during pvp
Eye PVP % additional ice resistance for x seconds during pvp
Bone PVP % additional speed for x seconds during pvp
Finger PVP % attackrating for x seconds during pvp

Above: Going with the scroll layout of the charm options above, we have two filled slots. What charm does what is up for the developers, but here are basic idea behind what this player in this experiment have picked; Life charm (which added 33 life), Force Resist, Minimum Damage (added some to attack), Poison Resist

Above: Now the player just swapped down to the 2nd row, and got maybe these attributes: Minimum Damage (higher tier, added a bit more attack), Medicin, Dark resist, Cold damage and Fire damage.

And so on..

Pretty Basic, but limited if no scroll, and even with scroll a way to maintain and swap charms.

Thoughts?

Diablo III Talisman, Charms etc.
Diablo III old information about the Talisman, the ideas and the design. Also a Puzzle Grid with Tetris pieces of bone charms you could use. The ideas were scrapped.
"Charms" at 1:13 here, followed by the talisman.

More of the talisman, new style around 0:31 here and continued with the tetris shapes and the talisman as a puzzle grid at around 1:24

Additional information
Charms in Diablo II: https://diablo.gamepedia.com/Charms_(Diablo_II)
Imgur gallery for usage or link: a/eo0xkLw
Mock-Ups by Enkeria (me).

WitchDoctor

DiabloWiki.Net Ink Slinger
I never really liked the standard of filling your inventory up with charms in D2; this would be one piece of QoL I'd enjoy. All in all I like this system, but I'd suggest a word change for one of the effects; 'Bandaid' doesn't sound particularly diablo however you stretch it, and I assume above that you meant 'medicine'?

Enkeria

Diabloii.Net Member
Correct, I ment Medicine. Still learning English yo :D Th
Well, it looks surprisingly similar to diablo 3. I only see one big difference, which is that they added charms. If i remember correctly, they were going to add charms in diablo 3 as well, but they scrapped it for some reason. I also really dislike how we are still being showered with yellow items.
Yeah, those are in the videos in my first post. They were scrapped. Tetris shaped bones.

Last edited:

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member
i love the idea of a dedicated charm tab, dont really want to see the belt return. i know the devs have already said they dont like the potions being on a timer but i never really like potion chugging from d2.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
I have grown fond of the D2 belt. I would like it to return more or less the same.
About four hotkeyed columns that you can fill with different potions that you have to choose like healing, temporary resist x, temporary extra runspeed, ...
Higher level belts have more rows and possibly also more then four columns.

The restriction of columns forces you to choose between healing, a certain resist or whatever.
The restriction of rows means you can only have a couple of potions ready.

Then you could create an NPC that can make you potions and who needs to be levelled up for better stuff. Just like those in D3 for weapons or other stuff.

Ultimatium

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, it looks surprisingly similar to diablo 3. I only see one big difference, which is that they added charms. If i remember correctly, they were going to add charms in diablo 3 as well, but they scrapped it for some reason. I also really dislike how we are still being showered with yellow items.

Last edited:

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Having a place to tuck charms out of the way would make them just another meaningless item to collect. David Kim said (something to the effect) at Blizzcon that they were not keen on trade-offs which told me we are looking at another gauntlet clone. Diablo is all about interesting trade-offs and if there is no trade-off for carrying charms in D4 then they will not feel like charms from D2. If the devs don't show any courage in their decision making and continue to streamline every interesting aspect of the game then we will never get any kind of 'build' experience out of running a character through the game.

Wirt

Diabloii.Net Member
Having a place to tuck charms out of the way would make them just another meaningless item to collect. David Kim said (something to the effect) at Blizzcon that they were not keen on trade-offs which told me we are looking at another gauntlet clone. Diablo is all about interesting trade-offs and if there is no trade-off for carrying charms in D4 then they will not feel like charms from D2. If the devs don't show any courage in their decision making and continue to streamline every interesting aspect of the game then we will never get any kind of 'build' experience out of running a character through the game.
Hmmm but if the charm space is limited to just a couple of them then you have to decide which ones you take and which ones you do not. I like that more then D2 where people trade off the inventory space and can then collect heaps of charms.

In the name of Zod

Diabloii.Net Member
Hmmm but if the charm space is limited to just a couple of them then you have to decide which ones you take and which ones you do not. I like that more then D2 where people trade off the inventory space and can then collect heaps of charms.
Fair enough Wirt, I feel I should point out that I didn't say anything about inventory space specifically just trade-offs themselves. Finding a way to perform a trade-off would likely preserve the feel of Charms imo. That's my point.