Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charging Firedin - Brainstorming [lenghty]

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Aerath, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Charging Firedin - Brainstorming [lenghty]

Introduction

This is something that just tickled me and I set down to work out a basic idea for it.

I've been roping on about that Holy Trinity idea for a while now. As a result, there will have to be a useable build for a Firedin. Of course, there's the Demonmachine Ranger with exploding arrows, but I was thinking of something else due to the unique Giant Sword Kinemil's Awl dropping for the Tesladin and me (The frostadin)... twice.

Obviously... even upgraded that won't cut it as a Charge weapon, but it did get me thinking on a Charging Firedin(, which I posted about earlier).
    So... how could one make such a build work - without resorting to Enigmas and BotD's.

The following is an attempt - which I have not tried out yet. Comments are more than welcome, but kindly remember that this Paladin is meant to work in a group of three. Hence, Fire Immunes will be less of a problem that they could be.

So - without further ado... On with the Show !

Stats

Str : 200*
    Dex : Needed for Equip
    Vit : Rest
    Nrg : Base

*Some of the items listed have exceptionally high str. requirements. 200 (including gear) should see you on the safer side of it. Also, more Str = More Dmg = Good.

Skills

Auras
    Might : 20 [Prereq/Syngergy]
    Resist Fire : 20 [Synergy]
    Holy Fire : 20 [Main Aura]
    Vigor : 20 [Synergy]
    Defiance/Prayer/Cleansing : 1 [Prereq]

Combat
    Smite : 1 [Prereq]
    Charge : 20 [Main Attack]

A no-brainer really. You simply do not have the points to spare to put into Sanctuary into exceedingly late in the game. Since most of the damage comes Charge, and the Firebonus is literally that, I chose to put more of the attention towards Charge.

You also won't have enough points to work on Holy Shield - which means we'll just go for a big whopping two-hander with more damage.

Thoughts on how to distribute over the course of the game are further below.

Equipment

Note, Runewords are discussed seperately.

Early stages

Am not going to list an extensive list of things to use, but here's a few things to keep in mind. Arctic Gloves + Belt - nice AR bonus to start you off with. Death Sash + Sword - nice cold damage, but doesn't come till level 17. Tarnhelm Helm gives +1 skills. Isenhart's works. Vidala's boots give 30% FWR. I know you get the basic idea already.

The fun starts around lvl 17-23 when you can start using a Lore Helm (for lack of Tarnhelm) and Kinemil's Awl. At the level when you can use it, the +6 to Holy Fire will make a nice difference.

Mid Game

Helm : Rockstopper. You will be lacking resistances on your Shield, and Rockstopper with a Res All jewel will go a long way towards fixing that. Even without the jewel it'll be a big asset.

Amulet : Preferably a Rare Paladin Amulet, with Res all and +1/+2 to Skills. I found mine off of normal Diablo with my Assasin in prior games. Otherwise, just gamble and hope you get lucky. A +20% Res All magic Amu will help too.

Weapon : Whilst you can use Kilemin's Awl still, you should be looking for something with a bit more oomph to it by now.
    Ribcracker will add massive Crushing Blow. Upgraded it'll also do a tremendous amount of damage. Bonesnap'll do. A Hone Sundan or a Spire of Honor might do you good. It largely depends on what you'll get your hands on and will do damage. Something to consider - with Charging, Knockback might actually come in handy.

Armour : Duriel's Shell. Upgraded Hawkmail (Cannot be Frozen). Shaftstop with Res All jewel or Um Rune. Guardian Angel with Res All jewel or Um Rune.

Rings :
    1) Ravenfrost. Even if you already have the cannot be frozen elsewhere, the rest of the mods are too nice too pass up.

2) Dwarf Star / Rare Res All; leech ring.

Other option : 1 (or 2) Angelic Rings + Angelic Amulet = Stellar AR bonus.

Belt : String of Ears or Thundergods. Note, with T-gods, Dwarf Star and Ravenfrost you'll have absorb for cold, lightning and fire - leaving you just with poison to worry about. (Antidote potion anyone ? :))

Boots : It doesn't come much better than Tearhaunch in my opinion. 20% FWR, +2 Vigor (as if you didn't go fast enough), +5 to Str and Dex and of course the +10% Res All. Frankly, I think you can still use these as end game boots.

End Game

Helm : Personally - I'd stick to the Rockstopper.

Amulet : Mara's, or Metalgrid. Both are good choices. You might've gotten lucky with your Rare Amulet, in which case you might want to hang on to that. (+skills, +Res +Leech = yum)

Weapon : Immortal King's will work. The Grandfather might do. Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge has nice damage, knockback, crushing blow, resistances and speed. Tomb Reaver looks interesting.

Armour : Basically - see above. That or a couple Runewords. (Or you have to get lucky beyond your wildest dreams and find something like Tyrael's might ;))

Rings :
    1) Ravenfrost
    2) Dwarf Star

Alternatives : I'm sure you know them. You've seen them in all the other guides.

Belt : The usual. Thundergods and String of Ears work well. Credendum (The Disciple) adds +15 Res All and +10 Str and Dex.

Boots : Upgraded Tearhaunch. Goreriders to add a smattering of Crushing Blow/Open Wounds - if you can afford the loss of Resists.

Runewords

I wanted to give these a seperate section, as they'll basically be cropping up all over the place otherwise.

Note - I am leaving out the Enigmas and BotD's or CoH's. Anyone spending such a fortune on this wacked out build is too rich for me to even consider.

Black : Crushing Blow, Knockback. Enhanced Damage and Attack Speed. None too bad.
    Smoke : Nightmare-ish, and you can't find any decent armour ? Try this.
    Beast : Fanat aura, enhanced damage and a couple other goodies. What's not to like ? The Runecost... That is what. I would've ignored it hadn't it fitted that well.
    Stone : If you feel you are lacking defense due to not having a Shield... This might well fix your problem.

Expected Gameplay

Note - I like to take my time when playing. Normally, I'm lvl 24 by the time I leave act II.

Lvl 1-5 : 1 point in Might. 4 in Resist Fire. (Including Quest point)
    Lvl 6-11 : Pump Holy Fire. Leave on skill point.
    Lvl 12 : Get Smite and Charge

Continue pumping Holy Fire and Resist Fire till you are maxed out.
    After that, get Vigor, then start pumping Charge and Might.

I know that a Might Aura or a Fanat aura would make a much bigger difference than the Holy Fire Aura - but since that wasn't the aim of this build... To make up for it, there's always the Act II Might Merc to help you out.

I know there are plenty of options available where you can use a one-handed weapon and still use a decent shield. For some reason I didn't like the idea with a charger. Must be me.

If you read it all - thanks ! I hadn't quite expected it to be this lengthy. Also, since this is the first actual attempt of anything resembling a build (and a wacked out one at that), I am bound to have made some mistakes or have some oversights. If you spot any, let me know =]

Keep one thing in mind when commenting please. This is for a group of -three- Paladins, one Zeal Tesladin, one Zeal Frostadin. Hence it won't run into some problems 'solo' characters inevitably will.

2. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

I fail to see the logic of charge + holy fire. Unlike charge + freeze, there is no point to mixing the 2, since the best way to use holy fire damage is to let it hit as many times possible, while charge is a 1-hit attack.

Anyway, I think it should be back to zeal/holy fire. A equipment suggestion however, is Dragon Scale (Unique Zakarum Shield). It should help holy fire zealots a lot.

3. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Evanta - other than the idea just tickling me... Probably not a lot of sense. And three zealing paladins would just be boring :)

Dragonscale sure is a nice idea for when using a shield =]

4. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

or you can do it with holy freeze, slow them down "slow down turbo"

5. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

We already got a holy freeze paladin :)
    (Me =)