Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charger/Smiter?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Æ’enris, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

Charger/Smiter?

I'm getting tired of playing casters, so I was thinking.
    Charge is great against casters, and smite is great against melee.
    The build would be
    Max Smite
    Max Charge
    Max Holy Shield
    Max Fanat
    Max Might
    Rest into Vigor
    Stats are basic,
    Enough str to use gear, which would be Crown of Ages probably.
    Enough dex for max block with HS, I don't figure you need a lot of AR since smite is auto-hit and charge vs. casters, they probably won't have a lot of defense.
    Rest vita
    Base energy

Gear is

Crown of Ages, possible BerBer for 26-31 dr. (20-30 res all)
    Weapon 1 probably Eth Botd zerker or a big two hander like TMaul, along with HoZ probably?
    Weapon 2 (smite) Lacerator for the amp (should reduce my need for Crushing Blow) and upgraded HoZ
    Chains of Honor light armor.
    Belt, Verdungos for the DR and life, this will be max dr I think with Crown of Ages and Chains of honor, if you get a good one.
    Gloves, Draculs for the Life Tap and Open Wounds.
    Boots, Gore Riders for the Life Tap, Open Wounds and Crushing Blow.
    Amulet, Highlords for the Deadly Strike probably?
    Rings, Raven Frost + ???
    Charms, a mix of +offensive aura, combat skill, anni, and resist/life/etc charms.

Resist seems alright, 65 + 30 + 50 + 30 +charms and or resist all sockets.
    DR will be 50% with Bers in the Crown of Ages and a good Verdungos.
    Blocking should be fairly easy to get on the melee switch, hoz + holy shield, what will the dex need for that be at around level 85?
    +skill will be at about 6, but I think my smite will be good enough with upgraded HoZ and the amp, maybe a 2k smite or so, the speed should be max with Lacerator +fanat + highlords, and my open wounds will be high with Draculs (20) Lacerator (33) and Gore (10%), so 63%?
    Switching to call to arms will be annoying, but ehh..
    Comments are appreciated because I know there's something I've overlooked :D

Edit: Oh and what second ring to use, switch between dwarf and wisp depending on what I need to absorb? Another Raven??

2. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I want to make this guys but it would require a lot of time to get the gear so let me know what you think :xtongue:

3. Squix

Squix IncGamers Member

How about switching Might and Vigor around? Max Vigor, and rest in Might. Both give same damage bonuse, but Vigor will actually be used now and then.

4. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

I chose might because vigor would be like 4(?) additional points for prereqs.

5. VoodooCamel

VoodooCamel IncGamers Member

Looking at it from a more useful perspective, Vigor is by far more useful then might for this build (chasing those pesky caster with a super fast charge).

Oh, and I was just toying with this idea for a build, you beat me to it :xx:

I was unaware that Gores cast life tap :D

The suggested gear is a bit str heavy, but other then that it doesn't seem to be a bad build... once again I hate you for beating me to this :D

6. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

First off, you have all the top end gear, you should not really need help for 90% of bnet. The other 10% probably have the same set up and skill dist, thus it has, and always will, boil down to who is the better player. Practice makes perfect :)

7. Squix

Squix IncGamers Member

But you're going to be putting points into Vigor and its pre-reqs anyways, so they're not wasted points by any means. Just depends if you want to start investing in the prereqs at lvl 50 or 70 (or whatever). If you're not going to be able to max both (like say 20pts and 15pts), then it makes more sense to max Vigor over Might. Only if you need the extra damage at lower levels, or if you only plan on maxing one of them do the 4 prereqs actually make a difference.

8. davidoff

davidoff IncGamers Member

ehem :)

nice
    actually i am busy making a smiter/ charger.
    I did based my idea on how to make this char on my last palladin who was a zealot with zeal synergies, fanatism and holyshield, rest to defiance.

Here is my built:
    My experience taught me that your defense is very very important.
    Eventhough i had maxed holyshield and level 11 to defiance, i decided that that defiance is worth the investment. In my last build i invested into vigor which i really regretted afterwards...
    +20 to holyshield
    +15 to defiance

Also 1 point to zeal and your additional +to skills items should be good enough incase you should need zeal, with botd Eth bes axe, your damage will still be respectable.
    Your attack-rating might be a problem here, but i don't expect too much problems here.

i had level 9 Charge with my zealot and to be honest with my botd, the damage was pretty good. so i am not maxing the synergies cuz i feel the extra overkill damage leaves you with plenty of weaknesses.on .
    your maxed charge will deal plenty of damage with fanatism and botd axe, often 1 hit kills, so no need for overkill.
    Also your Charge will give you enough speed, especially if you plan on using Enigma !
    i really do advise enigma.
    Why ? cuz i've been SO frustrated with my former zeal palla, with those pesky necro's bonetrapping me. A real must-have !
    You're resist can be found elsewhere. charms, anni, Crown of ages with ber um, good resist, Hoz with Um or perf Diamond.

+20 to charge
    +20 to fanatism

Smite maxed because those pesky crap chars who use maxed smite will beat you if you don't have this skills maxed.
    No longer do you have to loose against a noob char who uses smite.
    +20 to smite

level 90 char you'll have these stats.
    I can't help stressing the importance of defiance and holyshield though.
    A good melee palla will have these two skills in their priority list.

Bad defense palla = dead palla.

Asto the shield, i have thinking about Exile lately in a Vortex Shield.
    It seems that the damage is better, also you will have Defiance Aura Active aswell, not passive.

9. Vel

Vel IncGamers Member

Im making the same smite/charge char atm and my skills are almost the same but i was thinking for another setup. Doom zerk axe ( 2 skills , 45 ias , holy freeze aura ) + Imps or Sandstorm boots + Shako with ber + 2 skills / life / resists pala amulet + "Enigma" Dusk.. I think for a good smitter shako will be much better than Crown of Ages.. well thats my opinion.
    My friend was using smite / charger as well but he used 20 lvl concentration + "Beast" Zerk axe ( 9 lvl Fana ) and stacked auras. Although i dont think thats a good decision.

10. VoodooCamel

Davidoff
    You may not need to max synergies because you own a BoTD, but there are others who do not have that, so maxing the synergies will be that much more important for that extra pow. That, and I'm not sure if it changed but r/w doesn't affect charge speed (not sure if it chaged?). Overall, an upgraded HoZ will be the BEST smiter shield period once the ladder season ends so, which i believe will be much better then Exile to use with charge so you won'e need to switch(not to mention prolly cheaper too ;) )
    Also, using teleport from Enigma is bad manners in many locations and although it may be ok in pubbies it wouldn't fly in private dueling. That, and CoH is overall a better choice for this build I.M.O. because of the massive resist bonuses that Enigma lacks. Maybe one point into Sacrifice to help because of the fanat synergy but I wouldn't go for zeal.

Vel
    Concentrate is an awsome aura and its damage is only a bit lower then Fanat at lvl 20 (28% less damage at lvl 20) the only thing fanat has is IAS and AR, so he was probably doing more damage then the average charger, just that he would need to pile on the extra IAS to reach 6 frames with smite.
    I am also tempted to agree that overall Shako will be a better choice because of the low str. requirement. Once again, I feel CoH would be a much better choice then Enigma because of the resist bonuses and most of the time you should be using shift+charge to run around not running.

ƒenris
    Maybe you could come up with some "poor man's" gear? Looking over what you have written makes me want to curl up into a little ball when I realize how poor I actually am ;) I think that this build can really go place, get in touch with me and I could help you with it if you would like me to.

11. davidoff

davidoff IncGamers Member

Well i respect ur vision. And yes i agree that not everyone owns Botd. unique beserker Axe Comes very close to the dmg botd deals out so .;

Anyway, if you don't have a good weapon for charge, don't make this build, period. There's no use in maxing skills to boost ur dmg cuz you have a bad weapon.
    A pvp-charger, HAS to be good on several levels, not only deal out good Charge dmg, but much more.
    Def is very important.
    I just traded a eth vortex shield with 40 resist, i am sure it will be better upgraded Zakarum, not the mention the active Defiance aura on top of your synergized defiance/holyshield + high def items.

12. Æ’enris

Æ’enris Banned

HoZ is more dmg.

13. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Only an upgraded one. And if your not ladder you won't be able to.

14. Squix

Squix IncGamers Member

Beware the repair costs of Doom weapons!!! My Doom Ettin Axe needed 9k gold per point repaired, and with a fast attack, it goes down much too quickly to keep up with the cost. Used strictly pvp it might be alright though.

15. VoodooCamel

Few things here:
    With this build and smite/charge combo most melee chars will be either knockbacked/stunned most of the time so def isn't really essential. As for the shield being "better" then HoZ there are many things to consider here.
    1) It is viewed as bad manners in some dueling rings to have more then one aura active at once.
    2)Let's compare the mods on these shields:

15% Chance To Cast Level 5 Life Tap On Striking
    Level 13-16 Defiance Aura When Equipped (varies)
    +2 To Offensive Auras (Paladin Only)
    +30% Faster Block Rate
    Freezes Target
    +220-260% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    Replenish Life +7
    +5% To Maximum Cold Resist
    +5% To Maximum Fire Resist
    25% Better Chance Of Getting Magic Items
    Repairs 1 Durability in 4 Seconds

+150-200% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    30% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    +20 To Strength
    +20 To Vitality
    All Resistances +50
    +2 To Paladin Skill Levels
    +2 To Combat Skills (Paladin only)

Personally, I think that upgraded HoZ is the better shield. Sure, it has a bit less def, but with exile there is always the bad manners situation and the smite damages are around the same average. The ar bonus is very nice on the HoZ to make sure that you hit with your charge. Of course, I'm an idiot ;)

Also, this build doesn't require a 'super godly' weapon to be succesful, Im sure somebody with a shopped cruel zerker can do just as well as somebody with a BoTD. Not only that, but I am saying those items, while viable, are not the ONLY choices to use with this build, this should not be something reserved only for those who can afford it.

This would be my setup if i made this guy:
    Charge Weapon: Cruel zerker of xxx
    Charge Shield: Herald of Zak (um/p diamond)
    Smite Weapon: Silence Phase (i know its expensive, but you have to splurge ;) )
    Smite Shield: Sanctuary Zakarum Shield (with large res bonus already)
    Helm: Shako
    Armor: Shaft
    Gloves: Not sure here
    Ring 1: Raven Frost
    Ring 2: Rare ring with: str, dex, AR
    Amulet: Highlords
    Boots: Gore
    Belt: unique mithral coil (i forget the name d'oh :eek: )

The only difficult thing to get would be the silence phase, not sure what I would socket those with, prolly res stuff.

16. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

how would a regular vortex with 157/60 jewel do? would it add as much dmg to smite as i think it would?

17. Squix

Squix IncGamers Member

Does the %ed on shields even add to smite damage? I tried a targe with like 20%ed, and it didn't seem to to a whole heck of a lot.

18. DemonicTutor

DemonicTutor IncGamers Member

I think this build is a good idea, and I have seen several of them in use already.

I still say the BoTd WW barb is gonna be a nasty matchup, especially the open wound botd barbs or mass poison barbs.

Namelock/bone prison is a pain in the @ss for a charger, so enigma would be required in this match. Possibly have a sanctuary sheild stashed away for the nec match, I know this is probebly a chargers worst match.

And hammerdins are a headache, no no, a migrane. Once again, enigma would help to tele over the hamemer feild and land southwest for some easy smites.

Gear selection is tricky cause theres lots of ways to go. Capitolizeing on Life Tap/Amp curses with lacerator/draculs/exhile/.08 sancrends, or stacking auras with Doom/Fanatic or Beast/Concentrate. Or mass open wounds, theres lots of options available. Probebly opt to use different setups in different situations.

I actually dueled a life tap/amp version of a charger/smiter, the lacerator/dracul/exhile/.08 sac build, and it was very strong. Charge honestly has less of a focus since it tends to miss alot, and once the player stops moveing backwards, you have to run back to charge again, so this sucks. Useually the dueler would charge once, then switch to smite immediatly. And with his % to lifetap/amp on a 3fps smite, seemed like I was either amped or life taped at all times. Truely some fun duels, one of the few times I had to play smart against a melle pally to win with my wind druid.

19. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

i think the best build is

20 smite
    20 hs
    20 charge
    20 fanat
    then either synergize hs or charge

my gear is

um shako
    coh dusk
    tgods
    2xx/20 dex raven
    duped raven spiral for res and dex, and the dual leech helps in pvm, i also have bk and another 20 dex raven in stash
    bloodfists
    imp shanks
    highlords
    pdiamond hoz
    for weapon i use kingslayer zerker for non bm duels, and doom zerker for pubs and pvm

for charms i use anni, some gcs with random mods like ar, res, etc, a few lcs with max/ar/other mod, and some scs with res and life and max/ar/etc, im currently trying to get combat gcs though

this build is pretty good all around, i can mf the pit and do pindle with him at a decent speed (i have some points in zeal though), i do ok in temple and pretty good in pubs except against ww barbs and fireball sorcs and bone necros, those are where i have the most trouble.

edit: i also forgot to say, kingslayer zerker is great all around because it adds nice mods for a charge weapon and nice mods for a smiter weapon, and its cheap. I also plan on using a upgraded hoz once ladder season ends :)

edit again: for the doom thing, my zerker only costs 1 or 2k per point, maybe urs is superior?

third edit: a exile in a elite shield has more dmg than non upgraded hoz cause its exceptional, but upgraded hoz beats any elite exile dmg wise because of the +skills

fourth edit lol: if anyone on uswest-sc nl wants to duel my v/c you can pm me if you want :)

20. tk421

tk421 IncGamers Member

There is a cube recipe for repair!

Just to reply to the warning about $$ repairs. Use those ORTs/RALs that you have laying around to repair your gear:

1 Ort Rune + 1 Chipped Gem (any kind) + Weapon = Fully Repaired and Recharged Weapon
    You cannot repair ethereal weapons.

1 Ral Rune + 1 Flawed Gem (any kind) + Armor = Fully Repaired and Recharged Armor
    You cannot repair ethereal armor. Armor refers to any sort of armor, including helms, boots, belts, gloves and shields, not just body armor.

saves on those spendy repairs!