Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charger / Smiter- Is my idea totally crap?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by wild-seven, Mar 19, 2004.

1. wild-seven

wild-seven IncGamers Member

Charger / Smiter- Is my idea totally crap?

Hi.. I'm having a couple of boring moments in LoD at the moments so I'm gonna try on doing a Charger / Smiter.

So, my idea for a gear is following:

Helm - Crown of Ages (Sock with Um and ?)
    Armor - Leviathan (48/25%)
    Weapon - It's here I'm having a twist. Im thinking of Heavens Might (Ethereal, +3 Skills - 276%ed / 293 max dmg) but it is even good for a charger / smiter, and if its good, is it worth a zod? (Please don't say Botd :cheesy: ) If its not good, feel free with suggestions. I saw this guy using Horizons Tornado and he was pretty cool with it using charge. Although Im pretty rusty in the PvP rules so I dont know if its "legal" to use it since it has slow.

Shield - Griswolds Shield. Is this a totally stupid idea? I was thinking of socketing it with 3 x PD to gain some resists. The good thingy about this? Well, since the "fastest block thing" I though that could come in hand if I miss a charge or something. Suggestions.
    Gloves - Draculs
    Boots - Gorerider
    Belt - Verdungos (Even good for this type?), or maybe t-gods / snowclash or whatever.
    Amulet - Highlords
    Ring - Ravenfrost
    Ring - Rare ll / ml ring

I'm not REALLY sure how I will use the smite part with this gear. Should I smite as a crazy goblin after the charge or what? Anyways, here's the skills I have planned to max:

20 Charge
    20 Smite
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Fana

rest Vigor ?

That's all folks. I hope I'm not repeating too much of stuffs thats already written here. Suggestions are very welcome! :wave:

2. Kastlefeer

Kastlefeer IncGamers Member

Gris shield for smite looks ok at first, but consider this. I don't think it's the 'best' shield for smite simply because it's dmg range is so huge. Smite maxes out at 6fps so it's not the quickest attack, thusly to maximise your dmg potential maybe consider an upgraded HoZ. Vortex is 5-87 smite base, Zakarum is 46-46. Tell me which one will be more consistant on a 6 frame attack. Griz's shield requires 6 more str than up'd HoZ. HoZ has nice +skills for the smite attack too ;) an +stat so you can max your life.

Anyhow I'm thinking of making a dueler v/c like the one you've listed here. Charge is buggy but whatever, it's not as reliable skill for a ranged attack as FoH but to be different is my aim. Smite is a nice skill for sure though.

I'm not an experienced player with dueling builds yet, it would be nice to hear from other forum members on this topic eh? Your weapon speed and range factor in smite attacks strangely enough, something to consider.

Here's a weapon speed calculator if it helps:

http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english

3. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Heaven's light is a middle ground for charge/smiter, but while range 1 is good for charge it's not very optimal for smite. Think it's worth a Zod though.

Also, consider using a very powerful 2-handed weapon on switch vs. casters, u can't block their attacks anyway, and you need to kill them in 1 hit if possible.

I will be doing the same thing, exact same build with regard to skill pts, main difference will be weapon-wise I'll be using upgraded headstriker/HoZ vs. casters, and leaning towards 'black'/HoZ runeword scourge vs. melee.

Basically I think you'll be using smite mainly vs. melee builds, and charge mainly vs. caster builds, rather than using both at the same time.

4. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

I don't know about Heaven's Light. It doesn't look that good to me. It's better to use a weapon with greater range than 1 for charge and smite.

I wouldn't use a 2-hander for charging casters. You will lose resists and other mods from the shield. Besides, you can't smite either unless you use the weapon switch for smite, which I see as a major disadvantage.

I don't know how other people do it, but I use charge and smite (and foh) against both melee builds and casters.

5. LovelyGods

LovelyGods Banned

this build is called a V/C and is commonly used by my friends on west.

and its qute effective.

not crap at all.

i don't know much about it, but i believe jay does. if he comes on i'l ask to him to make a post here.

6. DarKAzNKiD

DarKAzNKiD IncGamers Member

yes the v/c...might be better than v/t? wuteva its bout personal preference

well heavens aint such a great option for a v/c cuz

1. doesnt really help smite
    2. not great for charge that much

i only used heavens for my v/t ..socketed it with 2 5/5 light facets for foh

my v/c will be usin redeemer for added 119 dmg for smite and an upgraded eth headstriker for switch to charge.

2 handed wep for charge...well not that good..u will actually be lowering ur dmg plus u wont get the help from it..hoz gives huge bonuses

try puttin some pts in defiance...u will want to reach around 20+k def..

shield use upgraded hoz
    well if u dont want to be bm dont use draculs
    verdungos is a good overall belt too.

hope this helps

7. LordDrift

LordDrift IncGamers Member

careful about charge bug

8. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

Yeah i would advise against making chargers till this has been fixed, because 1-2 times in about 10 charges u will just get frozen solid in place unless u hit weapon switch button. (U may not think its a big deal but try it and see how infuriating it really is when it happens in the middle of a duel).

9. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

Everybody's using charge. It's not something that only crusaders use. The charge bug happens to everyone. Not much to do about it.

10. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Charge does better with range 1 I think, 'cuz u can simply charge again w/o having to back off first, which is usually not possible with a range >2 weapon. Or something is wrong with my reasoning here?

Oh, I was thinking about bone necros and wind druids when I wrote this, basically you can't have any resistance, neither can you block them, and if you don't kill them in 2 charges you're dead, so I was just thinking of going for the highest damage I can.

oh ok, my own experience is I'll get killed standing still for more than one sec vs. casters unless they're in charge-lock, so probably it's different dueling environments that's causing the difference in opinion.

I think though, the heaven's winning pt in this instance is that it's etheral, that's more damage than usual.

11. Pravda

Pravda IncGamers Member

For PvM maybe a lesser range work better, but not for pvp. You will hit a lot more with a range 3 weapon than with a range 1 one.

Yeah, those two classes are blaha anyway. Thing is, once you're in close you don't have any option but to shift-charge away if you use a 2-hander. If you use a shield, you can smite as well.

For elemental casters use high resists. That will give you plenty of chances even if you screw up a little. For wind druids and necros who use teleport, just use lacerator and other cheap things.