Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charger - 1 handed vs 2 handed

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Excalibur, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys,

I have a Titan Charger and I am trying to equip everything that boosts damage to deal as much damage as possible. Recently I reseted my 2handed zealot into a hammerdin... because it seemed like he was no better at all from my 1hand + shield zealot. This started to bother me whether a pure charger would be better with one hand build instead of a 2hand. Let me tell you why.

After finding my first zod which I used to create BotD on a War pike I decided to use it on a new Zealot because I thought it would be super fun. Little did I know, my 1handed zealot was so heavily dressed that it seemed that the 2handed zealot not only was extremely vulnerable (I really saw the difference a max block shield can make) but was also killing mobs slower.

The power of my 1handed zealot comes of course from the massive raw damage Grief grants in both minimum and maximum damage and along with a phoenix shield the damage output must be close to that of a 2handed weapon.

I am not really sure how to properly calculate that so could someone do it for me?
    My 1handed zealot has an ethereal Grief 1.07 berserker axe with damage 36-159 + 393 from grief plus a phoenix shield with 394% enhanced damage.
    My charger has an ethereal 1.07 Colossus blade with damage 433-952

What are your thoughts? Could a Grief + Phoenix combo beat a 2handed weapon?

2. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

I'm no expert on damage calculations, but as I recall, a synergized charged offers a huge amount of ed. This will combine with your off-weapon ed in calculating damage. I know BBS made a charger with a two hander. I think it was an e-bugged 1.07 base axe with... Destruction? Can't remember all the details. And I haven't seen him around recently, either...
    Back on topic, I don't know. However, I feel like you won't see as much benefit from Phoenix on a charger build as you would on a build that gets a lot less ed from the skill itself (for example, ww). I think it's feasible that charge could benefit more from having a bigger hurty stick than many other skills.

3. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

4. necrolemming

necrolemming Diabloii.Net Member

Synergized Charge + Fanaticism is going to be something like +1800 offweapon ED. 400 offweapon ED from Phoenix is going to be like a 20% damage increase, while the 2h weapon damage you posted is something like 40% more average damage, ignoring other mods.

If you're wearing Fortitude, Phoenix gets even worse.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  5. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Agreed. And don't forget style. Chargers use big 2H weapons. Period.

Having said that, for my Grief Sept, a long time ago, I actually made a Charger / Smiter as Paladin build. Still worked really well. But if it weren't for that theme ... 2H anytime :cool:.

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The question is, what do you intend to do with your charger? And why do you do it with a charger?

I have a couple of characters which are worse than others at their primary purpose. I'm usually putting them away once the fun of playing him turns into a kind of routine which leads to less rewards (aka loot) than other routine efforts in D2.

Charge is about dealing a massive amount of damage with a single hit. I think it's better to improve a strength of a character rather than a weakness. If you invest all stat points into strength (aka Titan), you should travel that road in other respects as well. Therefore, use a two-hander, like Death in a decapacitator or even better, in a glorious axe. As said, improving base damage will multiply with those loads of off-weapon damage in full, so 50% more base damage is as good as improving off-weapon damage by a pretty huge amount.

Also, a charger will not be good versus crowds in any case, so why investing into something which will still not make him compare with other skills in crowd fights? You could still have a one-hander and a shield in the second weapon slot and use zeal with them - you basically need just 4 skill points in order to have 5 attacks per zeal round. One point plus Zaka will do the job.

You can probably have more than 2500% off-weapon in total, plus a nice amount of +minmaxdmg, deadly strike and crushing blow.

8. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

This project has been on my bucket list for a while. Started it last night. Had 4K max damage using up'd 23X% Steeldriver @ clvl 42. Now NM A1. Resistances are going to be a problem...

9. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I don't agree with the option of an eDeath being the best one, because the CTC Glacial Spike interrupts your charge chain. I do agree to go full out on damage, and as such also to get as much DS/CS as possible.

10. Excalibur

Thanks for the replies guys. My charger is level 86 and I am already familiar with all the difficulties he is going through. I didn't reset him on high levels. I raised him from level 1 till now using charge! :D I am not intending of doing anything with him. The reason I created him is for pure fun and trying something completely different. Seems like I need to forget about the one hand setup.

Here's a video of my charger one hitting Diablo in hell... yay! You can also see the gear setup.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  11. krischan

I thought so :).

That's happening to me as well. Some characters are fun to take efforts in order to bring them through hell mode, even if it means investing resources into them, but beyond that, they must be useful in some manner. For me that means being good at finding good stuff. Chargers are certainly not good at that.

Excalibur likes this.
  12. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy Diabloii.Net Member

Something about sub-1,000 life in Hell just seems nuts. Love the use of Pride in this one. t'was in my plans as well, basically identical set-up.

-CRG

Excalibur likes this.
  13. Excalibur

I really think that pride kills hirelings offensive capabilities. Any paladin using fanaticism as a main aura can really make a great damage-wise hireling. Perhaps that's not the point here but if the hireling can hold on its own with ease I feel it would help you a lot with crowd control which is one of the chargers most difficult parts.

If only Pride added at least a mediocre amount of ED%...

14. Korlic

Korlic Diabloii.Net Member

IIRC rangeadder is the problem with twohanded weapons. Ideally you want rangeadder 1 so you can always Charge.

15. Excalibur

Yes, I noticed that with the BotD War Pike I made. The range was a huge problem so I switched to Death Colossus Blade.

16. krischan

For melee characters, yes. My bowazons usually have 800-900 life.

17. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

Nice video, he looks like fun to play. Such RAW power!!! I want to try one of these with some of my fancy hardware.:) Maybe I'll use a Barbarian hireling for some crowd control and the ones he stuns I'll smack them with a big Charge.:eek: