20 Charge
20 Fanatism
20 Might
20 Vigor
20 Holy Shield

9* Combat Charms
Anihilus
Hellfire Torch

CoA (Ber Ber) / Kira's (Um) / Crafted Blood Helmet (Visionary, 2 OS)
Fortitude
Phoenix Paladin Shield
Verdungo's Hearty Cord
Highlord's Wrath
Raven Frost
Raven Frost
Dracul's Grasp
Gore Rider
Grief Berserker Axe

Point would be to charge them as much as possible (like some smiters would) but then instead of having huge smite, have huge charge damage and keep them on the run because most seem like they would run away when someone charges them. I might have to figure out a stash swap for dueling Barbarians. Critism is appreciated. Thank you.

jsyou

Banned
pure charge wont work vs any good melee and pheonix requires too much dex for max block even with holy shield.

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
The point of this build is to use charge as much as possible and smite them. I think even though I only have level 1 smite with all of the plus to skills I have it will still do great damage with Grief. I'm obviously not going to charge in, charge away, and pray that one of them OHKOs them. The idea is to use level 1 smite to it's maximum potential while still doing insane charge damage.

How do you figure Pheonix requires more Dexterity to block? It's the same as Exile. Exile just has faster block rate. I planned on using a Phoenix Sacred Targe anyways, which has the highest of all block by 9%. 60 + ~35 from holy shield gives you 95% chance to block. I do believe regardless it's still going to be less than what's required if a Barbarian/Assasin/Amazon used Stormshield.

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member
look up some charge builds. off weapon %ed is like nothing with the huge %ed from your skills. they tend to use a 2 handed weapon like an ebotd war pike. and plz dont listen to jsyou. he tends to flame builds that work fine just cuz he doesnt liek them.

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
I thought since Grief had such a large average damge it would still add a lot of damage.

Using this calculator I get about 14k average damage charge with 68% deadly strike at level 90. I think this is quite viable.

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
I kinda cheated and found an item with the same average damage as most of the elite Paladin shields (mighty scepter). Using it I came up with around 9.5K smite damage after Grief, does anyone know if that's right or wrong? Afterall, this isn't a calculator for measuring smite damage but I tried to cheat and use it anyways.

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
It's about style points. I think this build could be quite effective given the right circumstances. Charge would > casters and with enough skill and gear change I think I could adapt this build to be a tele-smiter and hopefully do quite well against Barbarians as well.

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member
again, jsyou, i think he trying to go for a different build. no cookie cutter bowzons/smiters.

to the OP- even with 28k thats not a ton. with the ebotd war pike i believe the last time i calculated the dmg it was like 38-41k max.

Von Lazuli

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes... but does Mash's video in anyway give away his build?

Anyway, I suggest HOZ for the sheild, it has everything going for it. Scrap the Pally combats. Max damage/life charms are better in every way (other than smite damage...). I prefer Bloodfists over Dracs, you hardly need the Open wounds when you are doing 3-4k average PvP damage, plus you will not get whining about Life Tap and you can hit 86FHR fairly easily (30 COA, 30 Bloodfists, 10 Verdungos, Charms for the rest).

Change your skill layout slightly, I suggest:
20 Charge
20 Fanatism
20 Might
20 Vigor
1 Holy Shield
20 Smite

Due to Grief's inherant +damage, Smite does more for your smite damage than Holy Shield.

Laz

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
Question though, why the HoZ? Phoenix may have a lower block and mostly crappy overall stats but 400% ED cannot be ignored. Especially with my new found knowledge that outside ED does now affect smite. Thanks for clarifying that max smite instead of holy shield will add more damage. Much appreciated. The reason for me not using a two hander is simple. They are pure charge, I want to be a smite variant. Smite is deadly no matter which way you look at it (ITD, cannot be blocked, uninteruptable).

zeiris

Diabloii.Net Member
400% ED isn't much when you have a total of ~1200 non-str ED: it's never worth sacrificing a large amount of FHR/life/res for the sake of a bit more damage.

Smash's video gives away a lot: at least once I remember him swapping gear, and he shows some interesting tactics: eg two-handed eth sword (gee I wonder what it is) and that amp damage throwing axe versus a hammerdin.

Maccat

Diabloii.Net Member
He makes me really want to try out making a two hand charger instead though. Seeing the potential and then I won't have to worry about the holy shield bug. It would be a clear cut caster build but I think it would be kinda fun.