Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Charge boltress still viable?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by ZwanZigZwolf, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ZwanZigZwolf

ZwanZigZwolf IncGamers Member

Charge boltress still viable?

I had followed a guide here once for a charge boltress and found it to be a lot of fun. Is it still viable in 1.13?
    If so, where can I find a decent guide. The one that was here has been removed.

Basic gear ideas:

Griffin or Shako
    Viper or Stealth
    Magefist or Frosties
    Arachs or Glooms
    Treks or Silk Weave
    Lidless or Spirit
    Eschuta's or Wizspike or Spirit
    Tal's Ammy or +3 Light
    Sojs or FCRs

Skill basics:

Max CBolt and Lightning and Light Master
    Max ES
    Telekinesis 10?
    Max Orb
    @10 in cm?
    1 static
    1 warmth
    1 teleport

Merc:

Act 2 Defiance or Holy Freeze?
    Andys/Infinity Wep/Fort?

Max block or Max NRG?

Thanks.

-ZZZ

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Charge boltress still viable?

Basically its just an Orbitaller build with CB substituted for FB :)

I'd go full Tal's, you get bonuses to both your CB and your FO and all the myriad usual benefits of full Tal's.

If you dont, then HotO would be your weapon of choice, likewise CoH your ultimate armor.

I'd say max TK before you max ES, though. You can boost ES with +skills and prebuffs, but that TK synergy is only from hard points

3. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon IncGamers Member

I completely agree with droid on this one. Although he is vastly more experienced with sorcs than I am, I have used a Max ES and a max TK build. Hands down the Max TK provides more bang for your buck. ES is very easy to raise with +skill gear and you absolutely do not need a 95% ES. My sorc currently runs with 59% ES, ~700hp and ~1200mana. I don't die, and strangely enough ES seems to absorb more then it should. Having said that I run a Prayer merc which imho is much more useful than a defiance/holy freeze merc.

Max TK means instead of your ES losing 2 points per 1 point of damage (effectively meaning 1200 mana would only be the equivalent of 600mana) it only takes .75 points per 1 point of damage i.e. 1200 absorbs the equivalent of 1600mana. Quite a nice gain if you compare the numbers!

:alright:

p.s. @ droid
    You didn't actually answer whether the boltress is still viable. ;)
    In my thread you mentioned that it kills slower than snot (verbal license taken) so not a good main skill. Is his notion of a maxed and synergized CB viable or is still a weak skill?

4. ZwanZigZwolf

Thanks for the input. I am viewing the "Orbitall" guide now.

Think I should go max block or no?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  5. droid

droid IncGamers Member

CB is a perfectly viable skill for what it does, which is kill large single targets like bosses. Its much less effective than other skills at area clearing, however. The trick is getting all your bolts to hit one target, which means getting right at pointblank range and spamming CB.

The trick to getting the most out of ES is to balance your mana:life ratio, so that both will hypothetically hit zero at the same time, given your known amount of ES absorb and TK factor. The formula is health=(1-ES abs)*(mana/[ES abs*TK factor]), so if you had an ES absorb of 65 and a TK factor of 0.75 (L20), then you should have 42% life and 58% mana.

E.g., if you had 420 life and 580 mana and took a hit of 1189 damage, then 65% of that (772) would hit mana, being reduced by TK to 580. The remaining 420 (after rounding) would apply to your health...that means you never hit 0 health while you still have mana remaining, or vice versa

And I vote no max block for an Orbitaller

6. BewareOfLag

BewareOfLag IncGamers Member

in terms of area clearing i still like CL/FO best. Maybe part is biased because it is so fun watching that lightning leapfrog back and forth all over the place, but it's best if there arent more than 3 or 4 players in the game. after that it gets pretty slow. but if i were to make a 2nd sorc, i would definitely go blizzard/fireball. 1 synergy in both with remaining pts going into cold mastery would be pretty effective. its sexy to ramp blizzard up and go single tree, but you dont have to fully synergize to make it a good skill.

ive always wanted to try charged bolt, but if u have to get close to use it, that sort of defeats the purpose of being a sorc to begin with. if you want to be humping meph's leg, go with a different class. i'm about to start a WW barb, which i havent played since 1.09

7. ZwanZigZwolf

Thanks again for the info. It's a good thing that respec's have become available. I will build her stats based on what crap gear I have on hand now and then when i obtain my Tals set up I will respec her for that gear.

Currently I have Charged Bolt, Lightning, and TK maxed. I have one point into all the others that I need for the build.
    Assuming that I would follow the Orbitaller guide pretty closely, would I only have one point into Lightning Mastery and begin now to pump up my Orb, Ice Bolt and Cold Mastery? Or is pumping up Light Mastery crucial for this particular build?

With the above dilemma I have been wondering how high I should pump my ES to and when to start pumping it.

8. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

Unlike Fire Mastery, Lightning Mastery is very much worth your skill points. You definitely will want to max it later on, which leaves little points for Ice Bolt and Cold Mastery.

As of now, just play through the game and put points in skills as you lvl: add 1 to LM if you feel CB is getting weak, add 1 to Orb if it stats to get annoyingly useless (20 Orb with 1 CM is enough to get you through NM without CB's help).

9. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

i dont think its viable without any runeword gear (read infi) i tried it i didnt like the melee range and the damage of CB is meh... (with just random slapped gear nothing fancy on it)

so... i would stick to either CL/FO or FB/FO or Blizz/FB

10. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Therein lies the problem, CBress requires some decent gear before it becomes efficient.

CB's damage by itself is not impressive at all, but the fact that the minimum damage is so much higher than other lightning skills (in other words, not single digit :D) means that it benefits a lot more from +% lightning damage, letting it bridge the power gap.

11. handorman

handorman IncGamers Member

hey just been reading this forum as i started a cb/fo sorc yesterday just wondering if any linghting/FO builds are viable to play with completely crap gear as i just moved to sp and need a pat/mat to get some stuff from hell runs