Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Characters Expired

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Richard-gm39, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Richard-gm39

Richard-gm39 IncGamers Member

Characters Expired

Ive been playing D2 for a while now and have 3 accounts on ladder, which are mostly full of mules. One night i signed off and all my mules were at 'expires in 10 days'.

The next afternoon i signed back on and below every single one of my charcters (not only mules) it said 'Charcter Expired'.

I knew what this meant, but tried signing in with one of my chrcters, and it worked....i can still play with them.

Why is this?

Secondly my bnet friend who doesnt play nemore gave my his acc, but all of his characters have expired, and this time i cant sign in with them. Is there any way of restoring these expired chrcters or are they gone 4ever?

Thnx 4 the help

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

It seems that some 'expired' characters aren't really expired (they aren't immediately deleted server-side, perhaps), but once a character gets expired and Blizzard's big Garbage Collection monster eats them, they aren't coming back ever.

3. Richard-gm39

That maybe true with my friends acc, where all his have expired because he didint go on for 3 months, but my mules and mf chrcters shouldnt be deleted.....any i dea why it says they r expired...weird

4. Mr_Grimm

Mr_Grimm IncGamers Member

mine are doing this also (every character of every account says "character expired"), even newly created ones... so i think this is just a bug of some sort and they won't actually get deleted.

5. sJw_shan

sJw_shan IncGamers Member

Yup, I have a friend that's also having this problem. It must be a backup in the Blizz servers. Can be a scary backup though. My mules!!

6. Richard-gm39

I have two computers, so i decided to sign in on my other one. This time all mules were at 5 days, and MF charcters were sitting there, with no expired tag.

So what i'm saying is sign into the charcters you know you have not played for over two hours in total, because even though it says 'charcter expired' the expiry counter is still ticking

7. Istil Istar

Istil Istar IncGamers Member

I'd like to know why it's 10 days in the first place. It should be something more like 3 months!

8. bwirum

bwirum IncGamers Member

It's Blizz's way of trying to get rid of exess chars on bnet. It takes up storage space for them and, when used exessively, storage space gets expensive. Just that.

9. Richard-gm39

What i did was play two mules for two hours, they got to about lvl 10.
    This is where i store all my good gear: storm, ormus etc. Just in case your computer blows up and you can't get on for 2 months..atleast u will still have your really good gear.

My theory is that eventually your lvl 1 mules will stop saying they expire, because with the 100's of times you mule, those few minutes will add up to that precious 2 hour mark :)

10. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

i got a friend... he msg-ed me couple days ago..

He said also that all his chars has expire sign.
    But funny thing was, he could use all chars.

11. Kitten~The~Evil

Kitten~The~Evil IncGamers Member

I've seen the same thing. I share an account with a friend and when she logs in from one of her computers, it says they are expired. When I log in, they are fine. When she logs in from her OTHER computer, it says they are fine. (fine = xxx days until expiration)

I'm not a computer whiz, but it doesn't sound like a strictly D2 bug - it sounds like something between the computer and the realm isn't communicating properly? What that could be, I don't know? You're server, ISP... or maybe the game just doesn't like your wallpaper? :lol:

It can really be a big problem though if you don't know whether or not your mules are burned in, and you only have one computer. If you have a friend that you trust, you could ask them to sign onto your account and take a look for you. Once they are burned in, you really don't have anything to worry about, as long as you log in at least once every 90 days.
    ~Kitten~

12. Richard-gm39

IMO it sounds like an error with different CD keys. On my seperate computers, i used different CD's...maybe this is why :scratch:

13. pliu

pliu Banned

I think it is the 2 hours rule in the B-net. B-net claim that you have to play your new chars at least 2 hours within 48 hours. But I think it is actually something like with in 11 days. I think if you create a char and leave it there for about 2~3 weeks, it will be expired.

14. Richard-gm39

I think you have to play your new accounts for 2 hours within 48 hours, not your characters. As long as you sign in with your characters every 11 days they will be fine (if they still carry the expirery tag). If they don't carry that tag, once every 3 months will be sufficient