Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character selling in D3 - new screenshot of auction house UI? der=

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Varquynne, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Varquynne

Varquynne IncGamers Member

Character selling in D3 - new screenshot of auction house UI?

During the flurry of info from the recent press event for Diablo, it was mentioned that Blizzard was still considering whether to include the ability to sell characters on the auction house.

There weren't any images of the character selling interface in the press kit images save for the "Characters" button within the auction house filters. However, the overview section for the Diablo 3 auction house on Blizzard's main page has an image in its gallery of the search interface for finding characters to buy (there seem to also be other images not included in the press kit, mainly showing gold versus real money values for the same items).

Obviously, it's just a mockup, but 10,920 gold for a level 60 barbarian, huh? 15% lifesteal to boot!

[​IMG]

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I don't remember seeing this particular image.

2. celbii

celbii IncGamers Member

Re: Character selling in D3 - new screenshot of auction house UI?

The whole buying chars seems way worse to me then people buying items off the RMAH. Some may argue that it is the same, and it is pretty much lol, but at current we have:
    10 Chars
    2 genders. Thats two of each with only need to level them to 60 once and then have infinite respecs. I think one thing people should do even if they buy their way to epic gear is at least level their chars than install the game and buy a level 60 char.

3. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

It's a new screen.

But, yeah, this seems a bit pointless, unless you are really the sort that doesn't like the idea of leveling up. Probably for PvP people who want to get PvM done with as fast and hard as possible. And, humorously enough, it is probably of more value to hard core players than soft core players.

SC has RMAH
    HC has character selling as relevant.

Maybe this is why Jay Wilson wants perma death in HC PvP?

4. lilbuddha

lilbuddha IncGamers Member

If you buy your character and buy your gear, then why the **** are you even "playing"? They are catering this game to people that don't even like games.

5. Tryfis

Tryfis IncGamers Member

For people who tamper with the game, get banned, buy a new CD-key, and buy a new 60 to get right back to tampering with the game.

6. Grube

Grube IncGamers Member

I remember a couple interviews stating that that character selling portion was just part of testing/concept. They seemed skeptical that it would stay for release.

7. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

this is the main reason I hope to get in the beta
    I know very few of the skills will be availible in the beta
    but at least at will give me a feel for the classes

my main goal now is to start a char, rush through the game as fast as possible, get to Inferno, get some Inferno only gear and sell the char

8. Shaelen

Shaelen IncGamers Member

Why does it bother you so much if someone else buys his or her character? How does it affect you? I'd never buy a character because I enjoy leveling, but if I hated leveling, and had already done it a few times, why not spend the gold on a already leveld char? I just don't understand why people get so worked up about other people potentially doing this.

9. Zeek

Zeek IncGamers Member

It seems strange to me. I mean everyone's level 60 character is essentially exactly the same as any other level 60 character of that class. So, the price for a basic character shouldn't be that high.

If you deck the character out with gear it might help raise the price, but that's just for the extremely lazy who don't even care about getting specific gear.

10. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

It is a bit silly to think of, isn't it.

I would never ever buy a character, that's just ridiculous to me. But I may be willing to sell one. I dont really mind that its included any more than the rmah.

I enjoy building a character and progressing them through the game, I generally enjoy it at least as much as the end game grind.

11. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I think they get worked up by some form of cognitive dissonance.

"I feel I get more value by leveling up my character on my own. It is the right and proper thing to do."

* starts leveling Barbarian *

"I am am not having fun leveling. I want to be 60 so bad."

* looks at auction house, Barbarian is going for $10 *

"My time is worth more than $10..."

* head explodes *

12. lilbuddha

I dunno, because more and more of the games I once enjoyed have become more and more dumbed down in their sequels? Because every game I get excited about has some "modern" "feature" that adds absolutely nothing to the actual gameplay (for a non-D3 example, BF3's Origin and internet based server browser) ? Because I'd rather not wade through trash title after trash title that are directly marketed towards the 4second attention span kiddie? Because in ten years I want there to at least be ONE title that exists out there that has some form of risk vs reward ?

I guess I've just got a very cynical opinion about all of it...

13. MrMegaProphet

MrMegaProphet IncGamers Member

Honestly the more i think about it, the less i care about auction house and anything related to it since i don't think i'll use it much if anything andneither will it affect much my gamming experience. I just want to play with friends (both real life and online friends i maybe make in random games).

And even if any random people i may play with turn out to have great gear because of auction house or whatever reason for that matter, like saved gear from other playthroughs, maybe they'll kill a bit faster at the same level than me, if it goes to the point of bothering me, i'll probably just look for someone else to play with. And this is only when i don't play with friends.

14. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

I think you are right... about your last sentence.

I understand your concern, but I don't really get how this is related to a new feature that would allow someone to buy a game character. If you like leveling up a character, then great, you can still do it. Some people might want to play the entire game on normal difficulty, but then they might prefer to play with other people/friends that are level 60. Maybe they can't play as much as their friends and they would not enjoy replaying the entire game on each difficulty levels until they get to the point they can finally play with their friends. Or maybe after they've beaten the game once with one class, they want to try another class but they don't feel like leveling up a new character all over again. In any case, I don't see how their decision of buying a character would affect you. Is it because you are jealous that some people could get a better character than you without having to make the "effort" of leveling up ? There will be hundred of thousand of characters better than yours and hundred of thousand of low level characters anyway. I think at the end of the day what matters the most is that people are having fun playing the game, not how they acquired their characters or how they play. And I'm sure this is what Blizzard focuses on the most, and will continue to do so for their upcoming games. I am not worried, D3 will be great and it won't be the last great game either.

15. Wolfpaq777

Wolfpaq777 Well-Known Member

I don't know if dumbed down is the right term.

The skill variety in Diablo 3 absolutely destroys Diablo 2. Combat is guaranteed to be more complex, because we won't be limited by our skillpoints or lack thereof.

Also, from everything we've read about D3, the vast majority of our playtime is going to be invested into a character that is already max level. Why should we care if someone skips the first 5-10 hours or so (once rushing & power leveling are perfected).

16. HerrPall

HerrPall IncGamers Member

Trading characters is just like leveling service (common in D2) but without the risk of your account getting scammed. I don't think I've seen any objections regarding leveling service before. Where is the difference?

17. Shaelen

Shaelen IncGamers Member

I think you are probably just being overly cynical about some of these changes. I understand your desire for a complex title that is difficult/challenging and ultimately rewarding. I would say most people want that too. I don't think these changes have "dumbed" down the game. Have they made changes to make it easier for newer players? Definitely. However, I don't feel like they can't make it more accessible for a new player and challenging enough for a veteran. Blizzard's philosophy is often "easy to play but difficult to master." It's just smart business to continue to try and grow your player base. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I don't see Blizz taking a dump on its loyal fans simply to try and attract "4second attention span kiddies."

18. lilbuddha

So you haven't been following WoW over the past few years ? The route that WoW has gone is the exact opposite of what I want to see in Diablo. That's my greatest fear. (And yes I understand they are different genres.)

19. Nizaris

Nizaris Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

That's probably a great strat - though I think that it would be wiser to first work on a farming character, follow all your steps, but on a new character, rinse and repeat.

The faster you do this the closest to release, the larger your overhead will be.

That is, of course, if you find that fun. It may as well be fun, because you could probably spend the same amount of time you spent farming the items in a minimum wage job and make more in the end.

Opportunity cost, I suppose.

20. Shaelen

Shaelen IncGamers Member

I have been following WoW actually. I started playing it when it was in open beta and have played on and off since. However, I see a difference between dumbing down the game and making things more convenient. Perhaps my views are shifting because I can devote less and less time to gaming. Which WoW features are you referring to?