Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character Roles

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Excalibur, May 21, 2017.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys,

From all those years playing d2 I have created plenty characters. Truth is I barely use any of those and it's quite tiring playing the same ones all over again simply because they hold a specific role for me. Currently I mostly play with:

Mf Jav Amazon - Worldstone Keep, Baal & Chaos Sanctuary, Diablo
    Mf Blizz Sorcy - Ancient Tunnels & Memphisto

Jav Amazon - Cows
    Zealot Pala - Travincal

I recently heavily geared and still improving my Frenzy Barb for Travincal runs instead of my Paladin just for a change and to take advantage of Find item.
    (P.S. I am actually impressed at how much superior a zealot is)

I reached to a point where it starts to bore me though. What builds do you have that you are actually using for something? Something that could help escape the classic mf routine?

Kitteh likes this.
  2. GooberGrape

GooberGrape Diabloii.Net Member

You're definitely on the right track. Purpose built characters are far more efficient and you can also get really crazy with the gear and skill selections without too much fear of failure. Of course a huge caveat: anything is Hell-able, I just like to make characters that excel in one area but have weaknesses in others, that's just more fun for me personally. Below are some of the builds I have used successfully.

Hamerdin: CS/big D. I also use him for running essences across all four demons, although wave 2 Baal sucks but Holy Bolt sorta works.
    Zerk Barb: Pit, occasionally Pindle but why really?
    WW Barb: Travincal! Sometimes I will wear gold farm gear to load up the stash.
    Blizz sorc: AT, Trav, Pindle sometimes. I don't use her as much as I used to, I think going dual element is in her future.

I also do a lot of time traveling. Got a blizz sorc and javazon in 1.07 and an IM/BG necro and WW Barb in 1.00. I basically only use those versions to get access to OP gear to forward to 1.13. They are a hassle otherwise.

There's a slew of other builds I would play if I had the gear. Trapsin would rock Baal if I had Infinity, and I would still like to try a wolfbarb or wolfdruid for Trav. I also think there's still room for improvement on my hammerdin vs wave 2.

3. Excalibur

I have a 90 level pala ready for reset. I am leaning towards Hammerding but I am just a bit worried about his gear.

I've read about Zerk barbs for pit but it seems quite a useless build? Why a zerk for pits?
    I also tried to install 1.07 for the same reason. To forward some items to 1.13 but as much as I tried I didn't manage to make it work.
    Wolf builds may be interesting as well.

Thank you for your help so far.

4. GooberGrape

Well I wear Enigma on both builds but you can do without, just will be a little slower. Hdin is solid with pretty crap gear, make a Spirit in a pally +resist shield and stick a Hoto in the other hand and pretty much good to go. Pit zerker is an odd build but crazy effective for Pit! You want to max out Berzerk and Howl and scare away most of the monsters. But Howl does not scare the uniques. That's the trick. So scare off the minions then blast the boss with your biggest baddest weapon. Grief is best but Oath works great too, basically anything huge and hurty. The cool thing about Pit Barb is you don't really care about defense so build for damage! Plus you get great buffs and find item so put two big +skill weapons like Echoing prefix on switch for super buffing and improved find item-ness.

Edit: if I didn't make it clear, with Pit Barb you only kill the uniques. Nothing else. That's why it is so efficient, probably most efficient build in the game.

5. BKC

BKC Diabloii.Net Member

How does that effect champion packs? are those howled? or do they stick around too?

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

They stick around. But IIRC, according to Grip, you are best to ignore them for MF efficiency.

7. helvete

helvete Diabloii.Net Member

Ignore the ones that run away, kill the ones which stay in your path.

GooberGrape likes this.
  8. GooberGrape

Yep that's what I do. It simplifies playstyle and is safer I think, plus everything dies in one or two hits anyway.

9. Gripphon

Gripphon Diabloii.Net Member

Zerker for pit because nothing beats him, neither there or anywhere else in the game when it comes to MFing.

10. LiquidClear

LiquidClear Diabloii.Net Member

God has spoken and the truth has been established.

Seriously though, if you don't think a Zerker is a good idea for the pit, you need only watch Fabian or Gripgod YT videos and all shall become clear.

11. Excalibur

Hmmm, I'll check it later. I was really against it but now it seems interesting. Thanks!