Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character Resist Question

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by DRCL, Aug 30, 2010.

1. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

Character Resist Question

Alright, well I've been playing for a month or so.. But I still consider myself a newbie to this as there are many things I'm unaware of..

Anyways, my curiosity has brought me to Resistances of my characters..
    I've seen that once a character's resistance hits 75% it turns a different color (in the stats screen)
    I've noticed that this isn't the max as in Normal I can have up to 80.

Now, my question here is: What is the max Resist a character can have? How can you achieve this? (Mainly in Hell games)
    And is the difference between 75 & (Whatever the max is) worth the extra items (Which I assume you'll need better/more expensive items) you'll have to use? ((So is it worth the extra resist even though you may have to sacrifice certain things?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out with anything on this topic :D

2. Luckymofo

Luckymofo Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Character Resist Question

max resist is 75% and turns gold.

the reason you have 80 is because you're wearing a max resist boosting item such as darkglow or guardian angel armor, which increases the max limit of max resist. and yes, resist is worth getting, but it can be fairly easily achieved since you get +30 resist from act5 anya quest for each mode

3. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

Well from what I understand the anya quest only increases the base, which in turn makes it easier to get the max resist, but what I'm wondering is, if I socket my items and/or use charms, could I get my resists over 75? Or do I need a 'max resist boosting item' like you stated above?

Thanks ;D

4. Ladvarian

Ladvarian Diabloii.Net Member

From the wiki
    http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Resistance

Maximum Resistance
    Each character has a default maximum resistance of 75%, although certain items can raise that number as high as 95%. You can never become totally immune to elemental attacks with Resistances alone.

5. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah I took a look at that before, but didn't really see what I was looking for.
    I'm wondering if I was to socket all items and/or charms would make my resistances go over 75. :\
    Anyone know?

6. falconwise

falconwise Diabloii.Net Member

If you socket all of your items with say Lo, Ohm, Vex, and Gul then your resists would go over 75 due to the fact that they increase your maximum limit on your resists (assuming that you had 75 resists in the first place). If you were to socket all of your equips with um and you already had 75 resist then your resists would stay at 75 until someone with conviction comes along and drops it below that (you could probably still maintain 75 resist with conviction on if you had stacked 5 resist all scs since you have so much resists).

7. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

So for every one rune I socket into my items, that particular resist would automatically go +5 even if it's already at 75?

So if I was to socket my shield with a Gul, my poison resist would go up from 75 to 80?

Thanks for the help.

8. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Certain runes and items can allow you to surpass the 75% maximum limit. However, you also have to have the increased resists to make use of it.

For example, the Guardian Angel Templar Coat Unique improves maximum resists 15%. So, as the standard cap for resists is 75, you would now instead have a limit of 90%. However, just because you can reach 90% doesn't mean you benefit.

Lets say your total fire resistance is 75% and the only item improving max resists you have equipped is that Guardian angel. The max resists are of no benefit as you don't have the additional resists to make use of your new maximum.

9. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

Alright I get it.
    Thanks for the help.
    I just need to find items that'll increase max resists. :\

10. chenw

chenw Diabloii.Net Member

Few and Far inbetween, especially ones that also increases your resistances as well as increasing max resistances.

Increasing max resists is meaningless if you cannot increase your resistance values, like SECKSE said (i.e. its pointless wearing Guardian Angel if you cannot improve your resists in hell beyond 75%).

It is often easier to just increase 1 specific element's max resist rather than all of them as a whole. Eg. Hotspur (15% max fire resist and also gives 45% fire resist), Snowclash (15% max cold resist and 15 cold absorb), Thundergod's Vigor (10% max light resist and 20 light absorb), Darkglow (5% all max absorb, resist all 10%) and Guardian Angel (15% all max resists, no resists) are the most prominent ones without significant downsides. But quite a few of the 'good' belts that offer increased max resists often do not increase any resists (e.g. Guardian Angel. 15% to all max resists, but no actual resists).

11. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

Well I was just taking a look at this 'cause even though my resists were really high on my Paladin, Fire was ripping me to nothing..
    So because of that I was thinking of maxing the Fire res a little higher..
    I put on Infernostride though.. Kind of wished I saw the Hotspur first as then I wouldn't have had to Vex my shield and helm -_-
    And I would wear guardian angel.. But I can't live without Enigma.. Lol

12. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

How is it you have vexes free for socketing in odd places yet are seemingly unfamiliar with the resistance mechanics?

You never mentioned what type of paladin, though if you're using Enigma, hammers is most likely.

General resistances should not be a problem considering the usual gear on a finished hdin. Especially when its possible to absorb on top or your resists so that elemental attacks end up healing you instead of doing damage.

13. Knarlfist

Knarlfist Diabloii.Net Member

This thread appears quite a few days old, but just in case someone comes back to it and is curious: You are basically asking two questions.

1) How easy/possible is it to get high resists and higher max resists. It is pretty easy, and there is fairly cheap standard gear to help achieve it. Things like Guardian Angel, WizSpike, Moser's shield, Kiara's, etc.

2) How useful/beneficial is it to wear gear to achieve those higher resists... now this second question is much harder to answer, because it depends entirely on your character build and your goals. I find wearing such gear to be insanely useful, at least on two of my chars. But other chars will be focused more on MF gear, or on +skills gear, or just don't worry so much about resists (like a Windy Druid for instance).

Stacking resists way over what would be needed to hit your max, in order to combat the effects of Conviction, are what some people aim for because they run the Ubers with said character. Paladins usually have a leg up in this dept, because in addition to pre-buffing with Treachery before going into Uber Tristram, they also have the option of flashing over to Salvation while they dealing with Meph. Non-Paladin chars that run the Ubers might choose to stack resists past what is needed for 75%, depending on how well their char build deals with Elemental dmg. So a Assassin or Barbarian might have a skill option to help in this area, whereas a Necro might not.

14. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Paladins can increase their max resists by spending leftover skill points into resist fire/cols/lightning. When that aura is inactive, it increases the maximum of the according resistance by 1 for each 2 points spent - or 1 for 1 if you activate it for some reason.

The problem is, hammerdins don't have leftover points :smug:... unlike zealots.

15. DRCL

DRCL Diabloii.Net Member

I don't really understand what you're trying to say with the first part..
    But yes it is a hammerdin.
    And as I don't really know much about perfect builds and equipment my hammerdin kind of isn't that special. So minimal absorb and such. Maybe someday I'll figure it out, but oh well.