Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character gender, will you go tranny on it?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by LSP, Sep 4, 2010.

1. LSP

LSP Diabloii.Net Member

Character gender, will you go tranny on it?

I mean, I'm a guy. I'll most likely play mostly as a dude but run all characters in both sexes at least once, save for the wizard, I think she should really be a she, if you know what I mean, the male version looks... I don't really know what he looks like but not like someone who'd stand a chance of surviving the Den of Evil.

So, what will you do? Play all but eventually set on your gender? Never try your opposite? Always be your opposite?

Also, will you assume people are the same sex as their chars? I won't, mostly because of what I typed above.

I'll always picture female witch doctors as fat, sweaty, 45 year olds wearing speedo's. Not really but I wanted that image in your heads.

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Character gender, will you go tranny on it?

I'll be playing the Monk and Wizard as females. I agree with your impression on the male Wizard. ;P The female Monk is just to get back the assassin feel in D2.

Barb and WD will be males for me. I'm not for butchy women, and the WD male seems like a fitting "crazy ol' coot" role.

The 5th class, though, I can see myself trying both. A bow / weapon would fit back with the Zon's feel, but then again, Link in the Zelda games makes males a workable role too.

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

It doesn't matter. I'll choose whatever looks the best in terms of visual appearance and animations, which in my case normally results in choosing a female character 9 times out of 10. This is partly because female casters typically look far more convincing than their male counterparts (I think it's the robes) and partly because female warriors are usually less common than male ones, so it's an interesting way to twist the tired old Conan the Barbarian stereotype. In other RPGs I prefer to play as female warriors that fight with grace rather than raw strength, but I'll still go female barbarian even though I doubt that particular playstyle will be possible in D3.

If you believe people choose their characters' gender based on sexual preference then surely that means you'll picture male witch doctors as young, physically fit, homosexual 25-year-olds? ;)

4. Malaterre

Malaterre Diabloii.Net Member

Actually, I cannot think that there are the two versions of the classes. As they were introduced to us mostly through one of the version I always think of male Barbarian, male Witch Doctor, female Wizard and male Monk.

Then I would have difficulties playing the female Barb of the male Wizard for example. It would feel strange.

This is reinforced by the fact that the classes that were shown correspond to the sex they had in Diablo 2. Barbarian is the same as in D2, the Wizard is completely similar to the D2 Sorceress and the Witch Doctor is very much like the D2 Necromancer... So I associate immediatly the sex that these characters had in D2 to the new ones.

Concerning the monk... it had no equivalent in D2 (mixture of assassin and paladin or something like that). So I could perhaps choose the female version. But the baldness and the beard of the male monk :alright: I will play the male version I think.

5. FrenchToast

FrenchToast Diabloii.Net Member

I'll probably end up playing through both sexes of each class at least once, and from then on, whenever I build that class, I'll just pick what I like better(which, from the four we know, will end up being male for all except the wizard, and even the wizard I may play as a male occasionally).

6. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

if it will be any good and armor that really covers the body can be used i will play:

Male barb
    Male wizard
    Female witch doctor
    Female monk

don't know yet about the 5 character

7. LSP

LSP Diabloii.Net Member

There is something to be said about crazy old coots and she does look like she has a pretty fit body ;)

Not really but that's the worse image I could come up for the most sexualized character so far.

I have the same problem. You say Barb and I think male barb, Wiz? Female Wizard, etc.

8. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

Unlike D2, D3 has the look of ur character change by items worn. Most likely ill play all males, but that may change once I see their look and play (assuming their attacks are a little different, as they were in WOW) in the beta.

9. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

eventually i plan to play all 5 characters all the way through with both sexes but to better answer the question i will go with how i will run each one the first time

Barb - Male. the brute is always the one i always see as male. usually in rpg games it is the only good looking male character imo and i like the look of the D3 male barb much more than the female version

WD - Male. this is the closest race for me but the male just edges out the female. main reason is i expect to play mostly female characters so this will pretty much be for balance

Wizard - Female. the barb was a easy choice for me but this one is far easier. the male wizard looks terrible. of all the crap people give to bliz about the graphics i am amazed i have not seen more threads about how bad the male wizard looks. too bad cause i loved his concept but in game forget it.

Monk - Female. not a fan of the male monk model. i wont say it sucks like the male wizard just not my cup o tea

5th class - ???probably Female though. i assume the 5th class to be an archer and i always like female archers. hard to tell without seeing the in game models

10. zarqu

zarqu Diabloii.Net Member

Isn't this just the age-old "if you're going to stare at a character's butt for hours on end, wouldn't you rather that it was a female one ?"

For me, as 20-year-old male the answer is obvious.

But play which ever you desire. I, for one, will surely go tranny on D3. Damn, female paladins on D2 would've looked so sexy.

11. Sylvanite

Sylvanite Diabloii.Net Member

That's always my answer when people ask why I generally prefer to play female characters. Cause I'm gonna be staring at em for hours and hours!

Anyhow, Wizard I will play as female, just cause I wanna go melee wizard and i think a dainty female who uses magic augmentation instead of brute force to accomplish the same thing...kinda a cool concept.

Monk is just too cool lookin as a guy to pass up. Bearded and bald ftw.

Barbarian....meh. Whatever the cool name I come up with suits better will be the gender i choose.

Witch Doctor doesn't seem to matter either. Prolly depends on the way it looks towards end game in good gear. I'll go with which gender looks cooler.

12. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

I always thought it was a little weird to choose a character of the opposite gender when you actually have an option and also how people base their choice around how "sexy" the character looks or how much time they're going to spend watching it, when it's just a construct in a video game... but either way I don't think the decision reflects on the person's sexual tendency.

Something that really bothers me though, is when males who have female characters start having this feminine or child-like behavior, like overusing anime styled emoticons (^^, >_>, XD, etc.), misspelling words, using girly abbreviations and slang, being clingy on their treatment and/or using their character's appearance and lack of the other's knowledge on their sexuality on their behalf (like getting items and gold). That's despicably cheap.

13. Thecla

Thecla Diabloii.Net Member

Does that mean you're not going to give me free stuff? *bats eyelashes*

14. Valhauros

Valhauros Diabloii.Net Member

No! [​IMG]

15. Flux

Flux Administrator

That's not really an issue in D3 though, since your char is a tiny little figure you're looking down on. Covered in concealing armor. Facing to the side or even towards you much of the time.

Personally, I don't get into my character that way, at least not in D1/D2. It's not "me" I'm controlling; I'm just playing a game. Obviously I root for my character, and they feel like part of my team/stable of adventurers (especially when playing HC, since there's always the goal of building up loot for twinking and group success), but I never spend much thought on their name or get especially attached to them emotionally. Hence I don't really worry about their gender in general, or how it relates to me.

I'm generally more sympathetic to and interesting in women than men, and I like strong female characters, so I'll probably do females for most of my chars, at least in theory. Definitely WD and Archer, maybe monk/barb just to be contrary, but I'm actually thinking about being a male wizard, just b/c he got so much s*** for his boyband look at the reveal. He feels like an angry underdog now?

Slightly OT, but whenever this issue comes up I remember when they were making an Tomb Raider rip off starring Indiana Jones. It flopped, perhaps it sucked, but my thought every time I heard about it was, "No one wants to watch Indy's booty for 8 hours running through a cave." Not that people only played Tomb Raider cause they thought Lara Croft was a hottie, but I'm sure her booty and boobs were something of a factor in the game's popularity.

Also, this:
    [​IMG]

16. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Yup, this topic has been discussed since people first started roleplaying like 30 years ago or something.

I was thinking the same as I returned to this thread, I kind of like non-typical gender selection in general (e.g. female warriors) and female wizard is such a no-brainer for most people, that male wizard might actually be an interesting choice.

17. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

i guess for alot lof people that plays into it, i just go by what i think looks better for the character i am playing. however if at some point i start looking at my characters in a sexual way i am sure i will only make female characters from that point on.

side note, in SWG i made a female blue chick (whatever they were called) and i set a macro for her to dance while i was at work. she got so much money in tips it was unreal. when i was actually playing the character so many people gave me free items/weapons just cause i slapped a skimpy dress on her. so i guess plenty of people actually do look at video game characters in a sexual way

18. Doppel

Doppel Banned

I'm going to pick the female barbarian i think, just because i like the idea of Sonja.
    As an aside, i think a better question would have been: "Character gender, will you remain tranny on it?" as answers could potentionally have been much more revealing.

19. Carlin

Carlin Diabloii.Net Member

No, my main will be male.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. Technomancer

Technomancer Diabloii.Net Member

I usually don't really think about it much when given the option. I just pick whatever strikes me at the moment, it's a game. I do like to try and make a character with a theme in mind, off the top of my head, my first D3 characters' genders will probably be:

Barbarian - Female, since it makes more sense that she would start at lvl 1 than the GUY WHO KILLED BAAL!! :doh: Too, brutal redhead chicks ftw.
    Wizard - Female, since the character was introduced as such, and she seems to just 'fit' better in my mind somehow.
    Witch Doctor - I'm kinda torn on this. Male seems to 'fit' better, but Female gives me a "Calypso from Pirates of the Caribbean" vibe. :scratchchin:
    Monk - Male. Bald. Beard. Win. :D