Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character Editor for Macs

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Nirniath, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Nirniath

Nirniath Diabloii.Net Member

Character Editor for Macs

I recently decided to return to my gaming roots for a bit, so I entered a bit of a sending spree where ten minutes on ebay and $50 later I had a good 8 games to replay. Chief among them was DiabloII. I'd like to fiddle around with an editor that will let me change the levels/skills of SP characters so I can get the feel of things one again before playing online, but I've as yet been unable to find an editor that works in OS X. Any kind folks mind directing me to one?

Many thanks.

2. Zavior

Zavior Diabloii.Net Member

This forum is not going to give it to you (if there is any that is~)
    We are strictly against character editors - this isn't just a playground to test builds for us.

3. Nirniath

Hmm. I used to frequent these forums quite a bit several years ago and from what I remember the attitude was more lax given that it's a rather hollow battle to try and win.

Thanks for the information though.

4. shermo

shermo Diabloii.Net Member

"Please do not post links or information about hacking/warez/cheats.
    Please read the rules of these forums as we rarely warn before banning.
    RPGForums.Net"

does this ring any bells?

obviously not

Thread reported

Edit:

thanks for stoking the fire. So what exactly do you mean by "a hollow battle"? Are you saying that we're never going to get rid of all people who use editors on these boards? Maybe not, but, making a rather crude analogy, crime still goes on in the real world. Should we therefore get rid of all laws?

Or maybe you mean we should accept character editors because there's nothing wrong with them. If you're willing to cheat in a game, what does that say about your morals in real life? Getting a Mat/Pat via cheating is never going to give you the same feeling as if you'd done it legit.

Tryed to be as flame free as possible

5. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi Diabloii.Net Member

I've been on this forum for almost 6 yrs now and the use of editors has never been condoned. While the unfortunate use of Shadowmaster for muling was then allowed, there wasn't much choice for the SP player so this is probably where this misconception of the use of editors came from.

--T

6. Nirniath

I never intended for this to be a battle of ideologies, but I'll play along I suppose. The mods can lock this at any time, if they wish.

Building on you analogy, the reason crime is ethically wrong is because it's a zero-sum game. If you steal something, someone else to longer has it. If you kill someone, they no longer have life. Given that their life/rights/material possessions belong to them and given that you didn't compensate them in any way, naturally crime is wrong.

Now look at what I'm doing. I bought the game and the expansion. I'm only planning to 'cheat' in the SP portion and thus my actions won't affect the playerbase community. Blizzard has my money, so my actions aren't affecting them. The only manifestation that occurs as a result of my using an editor is that my playing experience will, supposedly, be detracted from. So basically, you're just opposing the ethics and not the pragmatics of my action.

This seems to me, and I mean this not as a personal insult, rather hypocritical. If my personal code of beliefs doesn't infringe on yours (as is the case of cheats in SP) and if Blizzard has no policy against cheats in their intellectual property (SC, WC SP cheats), then frankly you have no right whatever to dictate how I do or do not play the game.

For what it's worth, I should point out that I don't give a damn about munchkinizing my character like most people who use hacks. I don't care about being uber. All I want to do is test my proposed build as being valid throughout nightmare/hell so that I can experience the content without being ground to a halt halfway through by stats.

7. Fafner

Fafner Diabloii.Net Member

You don't need an editor here. If you want to know if your variant/build will work just ask us. There are people here who have played through Hell with ALOT of builds you'd think downright silly. Seriously, be nice and you can learn alot here. People just jumped at you because it's in the FAQ/Forum Rules.

SP as testing for online isn't a good idea since you won't play the same way online (TP TP TP TP [email protected][email protected]!) and we don't have the season2 runewords. You'd need a rune mod too to simulate the runes available on bnet.

8. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe Diabloii.Net Member

no one here is telling you not to cheat on your own computer. As you correctly point out, it's yours, do what you will. No one is infringing on your "rights."

We just don't support editors here as a community. It may be just single player to you, but we here also play MP over TCP/IP and have a trade forum and our goal is to prevent hacked/modded/edited characters & items from entering those, so the official policy of the board is not to provide info on how to cheat. You are of course free to hack & edit to your heart's content so long as you don't bring those characters or items found by those characters here.

As an aside, you'll learn about different builds far more effectively by actually playing them than by simply creating them already completed. But that is neither here nor there.

Google is your friend.

9. Dodgydave

Dodgydave Diabloii.Net Member

No one is trying to judge your morals and personal code of beliefs. What you do on your computer is up to you and as long as you do not engage in Marketplace games or trading then any hacks/editors etc. you wish to use are fine.

However, due to the rules we are not allowed to offer you assistance in finding and using these things. So, I would suggest Google would be your best friend in your search. If you would like information on a particular build there are many experienced members here who would be glad to offer advice.

@ everyone else: there's no real reason to start a flame war here. While it is obviously never appreciated when someone states that SP is just a testing ground for online play, that is just Nirniath's opinion and there is no reason to try and change it.

Let's just let it rest at the fact we are not allowed to give information on finding a character editor and leave it at that. ;)

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

We're not saying that you cannot use them, we're saying we cannot help you find or use them. none of us SP players here agree with using editors, espeically for bnetters who come in and say 'i want to test a build for bnet, g1mme edit0rz!'.
    Wouldnt it make more sence to go onto bnet chat and spam 'i need a SP editor to test builds, plz help.' over and over again until another 13yr old kid who thinks that because he can make a lvl 99 character he is godly gives you a link.
    If you must try and do some work yourself, go to google and search for mac editors.

11. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe Diabloii.Net Member

The policy of the SPF is "what you do on your computer is up to you". As long as you don't contaminate the trading/MP system here we have no problem with you. That said, we are unable (due to the rules here) to provide hacks/cheats/mods etc. I believe most people suggest using google and being wary of anything you download. Thanks for your relatively polite discussion - have a nice day!

Edit: Damn, pwned by 4 people in two minutes!

12. Nirniath

Fair enough. I should probably go back to lurking before this deteriorates further. *bows out*

Take care all. :)

13. Serdash

Serdash Diabloii.Net Member

I never really got the point of this.

(Note that this is a purely hypothetical situation)
    If someone hacks a character to level 99, tosses on the gear they want to test, and drops stat points where they think they should go, how is this proper testing? You've accomplished no work to get through the game and have no way to know if the road to whatever level you want to get to will be easy. In my opinion building a character to level 65 and realizing the build was probably not what I wanted is a good thing. You get playtime on the character and learn how they work better. That way when you recreate and revise your build, you know what not to do, and what to keep doing.

It's like just buying the game and having someone give you a fully twinked level 99 PvP amazon. You might be able to dominate almost everything by clicking the mouse, but do you really know how the character works? Good chance you don't.

I would also like to say, as others have said, Google is your friend. Let's not turn it into a giant flame war. Let us just end it at you needing to use google, because nowhere on the forums, not in any single forum, will you get an editor. It's just up against the dii.net rules. Period.

14. Uzziah

Uzziah Diabloii.Net Member

I have your link right here

15. Darkwell

Darkwell Diabloii.Net Member

This thread originated in the Community forum and was moved here. I'd like to know why? Don't the Comm. Mods know we don't condone editors?

16. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I fancy AE will let them know in his own, painful way. Gogo Mod wars!

17. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Diabloii.Net Member

It's time for everyone to back down. Thanks for all of the reported posts. :thumbsup:

Yes, this originated in another D2.net forum. That mod moved it here. We answered his/her question. All is fine now.

Back to your regular programming...

(I'm not locking the thread - I don't like to do that. But I don't want anyone else posting here. Ok?)

18. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

I did read your post AE, but I just wanted to add that there hasn't been a character editor on the Mac side of things since the D2 days, and even then it was a buggy POS. So in this case rather than say "we can't tell you about it" it's better to say "it doesn't exist." AFAIK, IANAL, OMGBBQ. :)