Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character customization

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Share, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Share

Share IncGamers Member

Character customization

Has there been any word on if you can choose the looks of your character besides gender? Hair, eye-color and other physical treats like that. Everyone in d2 had the exact same look which sometimes reduced the immersiveness of the game, so it'd be interesting to know if they plan to have some diversity options.

Edit: lol, just noticed how someone created one before me.

2. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

Re: Character customization

From what I've read, they're keeping it simple where you just choose class, name and gender.

I know what you mean; just seeing a barbarian again makes me think of millions of clones out there. The artwork pics for the barb shows some progression into 3 different armors. Maybe they'll go up to 30 and this will be the diversity we would like. I sure hope so anyway.

3. casserole

casserole IncGamers Member

I believe that I also saw a statement that you're pretty much limited to class, gender, name as far as customization goes. I find that kind of disappointing but it is still a step up from D2. It would be nice to be able to create a character's look myself though.

4. Share

Share IncGamers Member

Yep. Although the characters are rather small compared to say MMO's, this game is now 3D which creates more possibilites. At least skin color, hair color and such noticable things should be choosable in my opinion.

5. stillman

I kind of prefer the get-up-and-go feel of the game where you don't need to spend so much time detailing your character. The player customization comes with the leveling and point spending imo. I think a huge armor/helmet/etc selection, plus varrying postures for each would make them all look different enough.

6. Arioch

Arioch IncGamers Member

Looks like gender and gear choice will be your only visual customization options. WoW-style customizations would be nice, but you won't even be able to see your character's face during regular gameplay (probably only during cutscenes), so I don't see that it really matters that much.

In Diablo, you're really not choosing a "class" so much as you are choosing a character to play. In addition to Diablo tradition, they may want to keep it this way for the purpose of creating pre-rendered cinematics.

7. ItAllGoesWhite

ItAllGoesWhite IncGamers Member

I think it's absurd that people aren't more upset about this. Several threads have touched on the subject, and the three main arguments against character customization have been:

1) The developers should focus their attention on more important issues.

2) Who cares?

3) Your character will be covered in armor anyway, so character customization is pointless.

The first argument is ridiculous. It's not a feature that would require an excessive amount of time to implement. They've already included gender, which would be the most time-intensive customization option due to completely different character models. Even something as simple as 3 hair colors, 3 hair styles, 3 faces, and 3 skin colors (this is in addition to the default character model--more on that later) would vastly improve the current state of affairs.

The second argument doesn't even make sense--obviously people care, otherwise there wouldn't be multiple threads expressing disappointment.

The third is the most legitimate of the bunch, however, even if your character is covered in armor, the player still knows what they look like underneath, which is important to a lot of people. Furthermore, the argument is further undermined by my response to #3--implementing it requires a relatively small amount of effort, so why not include it anyway?

There is no excuse to not include even a barebones customization system. We shouldn't have to play as a white Barbarian, or a black Witch Doctor, or a character with red hair or black hair or brown hair, etcetera.

Much older games than even Diablo 2 have included at least rudimentary character customization options--to not include them in a 2009+ PC RPG is outrageous.

Oh, and to the person that enjoys the get up and go style of the game, this could be as easy as having a 'default' option, in which case your character looks like the character select screen. If you didn’t want to deal with the customization, then you could just skip it.

8. stillman

Those are all good points, ItAllGoesWhite.

I'm still slightly opposed to this, however. I learned in another thread about respec that if an option is there, there is a tendancy for most people to take it. They don't simply decide not use an option in the game (at least according to the arguments in that thread). So your default option is good, but people might not use it anyway. Why is this a bad thing? Well, I believe the game designers REALLY want an emphasis on fast paced action--to the extent that they won't allow a slightly longer character creation phase. I figgure the designers have heard too many cries about the slower pace of WoW, and great complements about speedy old d2. They want us to "stay in battle" and not dabble in cosmetics.

I agree the "who cares" argument is arrogance. Lots of people care about uniqueness, since d2 had problems like ideal dupe runeword gear and cookie cutter buillds.

A few mildly good reasons not to have costumization: The barb is old and grey now yet still an elite fighting machine, showing his prowess and experience with the battles 20 years ago. I think his hair must stay grey/white. It's like the big scars on his chest; we can't take away his trauma or experience. Secondly, Blizzard has spent so much time working on d3 that they likely hold their chr designs very closely. They don't want to share their power to design characters (just a guess). Similar to the barb, the witchdoctor can't have the hair color, or anything else (feathers, warpaint) from his flamboyant culture changed in any way. The culture is too great an aspect in his background story. Also, changing the skin color involves changing the race of the chr, which is far too drastic of a change imo. I'm all for customized designs on shields or breastplates and the like. But it's Blizzard's baby, not ours.

As for the argument about how Blizzard should stick to the more important aspects, I think some people have a good point in saying things like that. Since the customized features don't affect gameplay, I'd prefer they spend their work hours on the gameplay issues. Take the waterfall in the D3 video; it is so full of fancy visual effects, but no one is going to look at it after it is revisited several times. It's just in the background and I'd rather they spend more effort on things that will never get ignored like chr animation and gameplay. For instance, I'd prefer to see more items crammed into the game if it meant not having a customization option.

Plus, would it really take minimal effort as you say? It looks like Blizzard is going full out with just about everything. It's not like them to throw in a new option unless it is very elaborate and fills up memory space. I don't know much about computer limitations though, so I'm not sure about this.

I think I would not mind the option to customize chrs, but some people are very much into the background specifics, lore, and historical cultural aspects of the game. These fans would protest if the chrs they studied were altered.

Lastly, it is simple tradition. It was not in D1 or D2. Simplicity was always part of the games from Day 1. In Diablo 1 there was the Dungeon and the Town, nothing else. They cut straight to the chase and developed the core components of a fun RPG. Also, in Baulder's Gate you could customize mid game, but it implies your chr is using hair dye and tanning methods that are too modern for the time frame of the gameworld. Just having the option sort of killed the atmosphere imo. So that leaves only having the option during chr creation. But from D2, there were great trends in making and remaking chrs as fast as possible. I figgure they want to keep this trend going and the option to customize just boggles down this process in the designers view.

9. Rcuhljr

Rcuhljr IncGamers Member

I like the concept of picking a character, not just picking a class and making it look like whatever.

10. CarsV

CarsV Banned

I like the concept of individuality and freedom of choice.

For the love of god, practically every other game out there has character customization, but Diablo 3 won't? Are the developers too lazy or something?

11. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

I'm glad this is a game and just that. Getting real tired of these people who want a little world to play house in every time. I mean outrageous even?? Lol get a grip please, its a game.

12. CarsV

CarsV Banned

Is your post suppose to be remotely significant and contributing?

It's about immersion. That is one of the most significant facets of a game, is it not? But you're right, lets all just settle for the bare minimum. :rolleyes:

13. Arioch

Arioch IncGamers Member

I don't think there's any question that character customization would be nice to have. I'm just not sure in this case I'd put it on a list ahead of a more valuable feature.

14. theseus

theseus IncGamers Member

To be honest for me personally Character Customization doesn't interest me much, I didn't miss it in D1 and D2 and won't be worried about it in D3.

I play Warcraft and love customizing my characters in that, but Diablo for me is less about the character and more about the loot and gameplay.

15. HRP

HRP IncGamers Member

Shrug.

I'm happy with just being able to choose whether my character is male or female.

16. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

I agree with CarsV.

If my only female melee choice is the barb then I would rather have her look like anya or a amazon rather than a ashera on steriods thank you very much.

Customization would help me with this problem.

*Unless Blizz brings back the zon with my beloved spear tree*

and Lastly, people who have been playing a game off and on for over 5 years (like me) tend to get a little immersed in it.

17. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

I like the idea of picking a character and to have it well defined as one instead of class. The games which offered customization usually are MMOs or games with important moral choices in the course of the story, like Kotor and Mass Effect.

In Diablo you arent really THE character, you control him, but he is one. In the gameplay video once you talked to Cain, the barbarian was talking. He was doing the talking, not you. He has his personality and you have no control of it. So why bother altering him? Why having 1000 variations of the same character with the exact same personality?

I much rather prefer few customization options and a well-defined and charismatic character to play with one with a 1000 variations but no real definition. For example: Team Fortress 2 gave every class a very distinct and well-defined characteristics and it was flawless. Now lets imagine that TF2 was an ARPG and gave you custom options for every character, would it be the same? I doubt. The look of the characters create an charisma of "familiar face". The talented artwork artists created many sketches and concepts arts for all the classes just to have someone go an change them into something else.

Now you would say: But why not have both? Personalities and Custom Visuals? The problem is that it takes out the familiarity of the character. Its not the Diablo 3 barb anymore, its the generic, variation 391, of the barbarian class. See what I mean? Hell... I even think that it was too much too add the gender change but I am fine with that.

18. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

First of all why choose your characters name yourself when according to you they are just a certain "class" of character and thats the way they are. Just make all barbarians named barbarian in that case then., choosing your own characters name, that in and of itself is a step towards customization.

And lastly I find it hard to believe that every barbarian in sanctuary looks the same or acts the same.

If a modern graphics engine can only deliver clone wars then somebody really missed the point.

Im not saying make every flap and freakin strap customizable. Im just saying that not every friggen female barb should look like the same dang body builder type. I dont want that. So dont force it upon me, especially if your taking away my zon.

19. SmittySixTen

SmittySixTen IncGamers Member

The way I see it, this is the type of thing that you either go all out on, or keep incredibly simple. In the grander scheme of things, it really doesn't matter at all. Is it a nice feature? Yes, but that's all it is, a feature. At the end of the day it does not change how the game plays, and that's all I give a damn about.

20. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Every barb will look the same because they are all the same character. You can name the character as you wish to add your "signature" to it but the character has a set role in the story which is linear. If there is a game with 8 barbs, they are all the same character, all that varies is how you pick the skills and deal with the action.

And no, its not unrealistic, its a game. If you want to "role-play" you should always join a game with all diferent classes or not play Diablo at all because its RPG elements are limited to items and skills. Because even if there were custom options it would still be unrealistic because every character would have the exact same speech when a conversation is initiated.

So either way its always "clone wars", giving too much custom options just take out the familiarity that the character artwork evokes.