Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character Customization from WoW to D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Xralius, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Xralius

Xralius Diabloii.Net Member

Character Customization from WoW to D3

From what I have heard, 99% of character customization in Diablo 3 is going to come from itemization, and that your character's stats automatically level up. I am troubled by the similarity with this and World of Warcraft's character customization. In World of Warcraft, characters use "cookie cutter" builds that, in my opinion, take a lot of the fun out of creating a unique, or to the player, original character.

I hope the items are not simply "+1 to strength" type of items but rather more unique with powers of their own, otherwise you're simply going to be playing a World of Warcraft character in Sanctuary.

I'm sorry to say it, but this, along with the seemingly cartoonish character looks and green dungeons, are really souring me on Diablo 3, which is a shame because I loved Diablo 1 and 2 and was really looking forward to D3.

Quite frankly, I want literally zero aspects of World of Warcraft put into Diablo. No achievements. No resetting of talents/skills. No huge pauldrons or bright green dungeons. No tank/healer/dps threat-based tank and spank. No crappy dialogue or lame, contrived storylines ("There must always be a lich king!!!1!1!!"). No bosses that kill me by farting on me or have silly voices. No childish humor in general (Secret Cow Level excluded, of course). No Cookie-Cutter character builds. Please.

Yet I have a terrible feeling all this and more will be in Diablo 3.

I'm new to this forum, so sorry if this topic is super old.

2. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Character Customization from WoW to D3

Erm...achievements, resets, pauldrons, etc didn't originate or gain popularity from WoW.

Tank, DPS, maybe dialogue (who actually stays a while and listens?), and especially cookie-cutters were all in Diablo since the beginning. WoW got it from Diablo.

With customization in items, one option is to hoard + str, life or mana items, but isn't the only way. You can still have items focusing on iDR, some on maxed ED%, spell ED%, speed, etc.

Optimization of those items is what leads to cookie cutters. No game can really be free of them. They're basically anywhere from a char having to fill that niche, or a lot of players following the trend set by someone who did something successful.

And yes, this topic is very old. The cartoony comment is one of the oldest, and was long since debunked. Newly released screen shots already show how ridiculous (no offense) that comment is. WoW was a cartoon--D3 is very different.

3. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai Diabloii.Net Member

Like Sass said, classes are nothing new and WoW was definitely not the first game to implement so many features associated with WoW - they've just been one of the most successful.

Expecting a gameworld like Diablo to have nothing in common with WoW - you're bound to be disappointed. Both games have you kill stuff with a medieval like feel, and item collection for the sake of improving one's character is a staple in sooo many games.

The funny thing about cookie-cutters is that people still don't always get them right, and even in d2, 10 years after release or so, people still ask the same questions.

Again, as Sass said, cookie-cutters are optimized builds - people will come up with them in any game that allows "customization". It only makes sense to optimize your character for what you use it for. But also remember, it doesn't mean everyone does the same thing - As powerful as an Hdin is and has been, they aren't the only class you see running around bnet, albeit they are the most common.

4. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

Even without customization, that's cookie cutter galore :S IMO, there's no avoiding it.

5. voraginous

voraginous Diabloii.Net Member

achievements and respecs are awesome ideas
    and the game looks nothing like WoW and the devs are actively trying to create a horror atmosphere a la diablo 1
    silly OP

6. Doppel

Doppel Banned

nevermind,...................

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  7. Tyrone

Tyrone Diabloii.Net Member

So long as people continue to min-max, cookie cutter builds will remain, this is just the nature of some gamers, but nothing is stopping you from doing your own thing and distributing your skills in a way that, while not optimized, is still fun for you.

While you likely won't be able to make a singing bow barb in this game, that kind of customization matters little to the majority of players, who, believe it or not, roll a barbarian to hit things with big weapons, and let's be honest, that kind of customization was only ever appealing to players who needed to feel like a special snowflake when they posted a guide for how unconventional (useless) they could make their character.

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

lol the op does not want cookie cutter builds cause they are in wow. maybe he never played D2 without all the cookie cutter characters it had. now that i think about it, every single game where characters level have had cookie cutter builds and i see no reason why it will stop. eventually the "best" will be found out and copied by many. more skills just prolong it but it will happen. the real players will be the ones with varient characters imo

9. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

Cookie Cutter = common builds (and why these builds, because they are effective).
    Don't matter if there's 1 or 10000000000000 different ways of customizing the cookie cutters will turn up if choice A will be better than choice B etc.
    The only way to remove cookie cutters is to make choice A=B=C etc in usefulness but then you run the risk of making the choice meaningless.

10. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

Clearly both Diablo and WoW have cookie cutter builds. What sets WoW apart here is the difficulty. The raiding game is balanced with the expectation that people use the mathematically best builds they can.
    This isn't the case in Diablo (Because Diablo is a very different game...).
    Diablo 2 was balanced around making experimental and somewhat weak builds useable, which of course meant that the cookie cutter builds where more than useful (aka. insanely good).

There is no reason to expect Blizzard would balance Diablo 3 around requiring the very best builds (in PvE anyway, PvP obviously is another matter), and as such, only the people who can't bother to try stuff out will use cookie cutter builds, just like in Diablo 2.

11. hippipigs

hippipigs Diabloii.Net Member

Hi I think everyone is missing the point of the OP. What he is disturbed about (like me if it is true) is that all stats are auto leveled and we CANNOT add points to individual stats to make an unique character. It is fine if other people want to min/max, but why take away the ability of the player to customised the stats to what they want? NOT everyone wants to play competitively.

12. Sass

Sass Diabloii.Net Member

They didn't take away customization at all. They relocated it to the trait system.

13. hippipigs

mmm my previous post didn't appear, so here goes again.

I think most of you missed the point of the OP. He is talking about how the forced autolevel feature will produce cookie cutter character ... not cookie cutter template which people follows.

And I think other of you are barking up the wrong tree if you think that removing the choice of assigning stats will prevent cookie cutter character ... in fact it will lead to it again unless the whole game is designed such that there are multiple way to succeed and all stats are useful and item/charm/trait customisation allows lots of difference.

After all, I want to play the game in the way I like, not how Blizzard dictates.

So, why can't they just trust the players a lot more and put in an auto-level button for the newbies to use when they are not sure which stat to put ... then they will end up with the "Perfect" character according to the calculation of the developer (don't blame me, that is essentially what they say in the interview).

For other of us who like to build up unique character, even if it is not the most UBER build, we should have the choice. What really rubs me the wrong way is how condescending the developer can be in assuming that players cannot be trusted to assign simple stats for their players.

Of course, in the end, it depends on how versatile the charm/traits/item system is. But if these customisation is going to enhance only those Relate Stats of a class .. then I would be very disturbed. I want more choice in my game, not less.

14. hippipigs

So it appears after reading more.

But the article still rubs me the wrong way in the assumptions they make.

Anyway, it seems that it might only allow players to customised the class Related Stats .... if so, it doesn't feel enough because if I want to make a monk that is wiser and beefier than norm, I should be able to. But it seems that I might not be able to if Wisdom is not one of the related stats.

15. zapotek

zapotek Diabloii.Net Member

All in all it's probably for the better having stats being automatically distributed since alot of new people probably get confused by it. But for a small minority like D2 veterans and people that enjoy the mathematics of perfecting a character the manual stat system is superior I feel.

I really enjoy making "extreme" hc charachters for example that give me that little bit of extra feel of danger playing. With a WoW kind of stat system you can't really do stuff like that, titan barbs, dexazons and so on. D2 stats gives players an opportunity to spice things up basically. Want to see if you can survive with a titan melee sorc in hc? You can give it a go in D2.

Also another thing is even if 90% of times peoples high level characters ends up in D2 with similiar stats what differs is the way they got to that point. One player might have deceided to just pump str first, then vit etc, another one perhaps spread stats evenly each level. The decisionmaking in the journey is part of the fun.

Finally in regards to customization, will we be able to customize the look of our characters in D3, anyone know? What I mean is can we like in WoW select face, hair style and so on? I'm guessing sadly we can't though, bummer.

16. Darkmere

Darkmere Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah I'd gladly give up the talisman, traits, varied skill choices, skill runes, extended crafting, gem variety and longevity, item enchanting, class specific gear, and infinite socket quests to go back to the "more customizable" 4 stat system too.

And if there's a D3 barber shop or dance studio, I'll drop-kick a kitten.

17. zapotek

zapotek Diabloii.Net Member

Why would it have to be either or? How about all those things you mentioned but instead of an automatic stat system a manual one? Who is saying the game must be a D2clone without any changes?

There is a third option also, Blizzard could add both systems and let the players deceide for themselves. Default would be the automatic system but those that wished for it could change it to manual.

18. Darkmere

Darkmere Diabloii.Net Member

EDIT: Wow, wall of text.

Short answer: I think if we take Blizz at their word that Plvling is going away, the stats system is much less interesting play-wise than traits, enchants, gems, charms, and skill options/runes. If the rest of that stuff exists and plvling is phased out, stats would feel like a tacked-on minor system that didn't add much to character building in the long run. I'd much rather use the new stuff to customize a character than clicking + a lot just so I could use gear or be slightly off of normal just to be different.

19. tcpgeest

tcpgeest Diabloii.Net Member

I can't believe that stupid argument saying "don't wanna play how Blizzard dictates" is still being used.

Nobody is forcing you to play the game. You can QQ about it but it won't change. Either you play the game or your don't.

20. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

Manual stats = no Cookie cutters is not true, all it does is add a few extra mouse clicks per level to add said stat points, since there no stat requirements on items your end up with monk & barb having the same stats same for wiz and witch doc, DH is ? might end up the same as monk & barb but with less vit stat (why as everyone will go for as much damage as possible while keeping there health pool big enough).