Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Character creator

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Frank_the_tank, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Frank_the_tank

Frank_the_tank Diabloii.Net Member

Character creator

My understanding is that character creation/selection will work pretty much as it did in the earlier Diablo games. You choose your class, a name, and gender now as well, and that's it. Diablo 1 and 2 had this kind of simplistic selection process because of technical limitations of the 2D-engine. But now? For a modern 3D game releasing in 2011 or 2012 it seems almost a bit unnecessarily dated. They could make it better, yet still keep it simple. Five or 6 faces, few hairstyles, maybe some different skin colors. Something in the line of WoW's character creator. Along with a hide/show helmet toggle option this would make the world of Diablo a more interesting place, and it probably wouldn't demand a lot of resources.

Why did they choose to keep the simple character selection? Just to stay true to the concept of Diablo? Not enough time/resources (hardly)? I always loved the Diablo games and hope they capture that special Diablo feeling. I also hope we get to see a lot of nostalgic references to the old games. But isn't this a feature that could, maybe even should, be improved upon a bit without hurting the concept? If we were talking about a tiny indie company I'd probably flame this thread myself. But this is Blizzard, the king of high production values. Do I make any points at all or is this just silly and redundant, I dunno?

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Character creator

They've cut the zoom option from the game. Most of the time your character will be wearing armor obscuring most of the body. From the distance you are looking at the character a lot of that detail will be lost. It seems like wasted effort if they put it in.

3. Frank_the_tank

So it's better to cut the zoom and not have aesthetic variation than to enable zoom and have aesthetic variation? I get the feeling part of the reason for them cutting the zoom was because of everyone looking the same up close. And instead of doing something about it they got lazy. You make it sound like it's final. Also, all games i know of with character creators have armors or clothes obscuring most of the body. But as I said the face could be made visible with a helmet toggle.

4. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

The reason most MMOs feature character creators isn't because it has a big impact on gameplay, but because it's a good way for players to identify themselves with their soon-to-be character, either for roleplaying purposes or completely different reasons. Such games usually have a nice zoom feature that lets you admire your creation. In contrast, WoW's character creator is actually very simplistic for an MMO (static body size, pre-determined variables such as skin color and facial models), but that hasn't really made it any less popular.

Since D3 is less about roleplaying and more about fast-paced action, the usual MMO/RPG features are given less room because there's far less room to show them in the first place. The fact of the matter is that many of the aestethical details you suggest would be almost invisible in-game. Faces and hair tend to get hidden underneath headgear, so it makes more sense to put energy into designing stuff that's actually visible (cool hats, armor, that sort of thing).

That said, I personally feel players should be able to alter their character's hair color, since it's one of those things that's much easier to do than creating new haircuts/facial textures, but still has a noticable impact on your appearance, especially when wearing circlets and such. As for faces and hairstyles, I'm hoping the default ones will be good enough. If they're not, I doubt they'll bother me anyway.

5. a black kid

a black kid Diabloii.Net Member

personally, i prefer less customization. as the game is not about 'hey look at my character'. blizzard wants diablo 3 to be basically non stop action. there wont be any time really looking at other peoples characters, and considering within 15 minutes you're going to be wearing helm covering up that goofy head anyways.

i feel blizzard is doing it right by doing it this way... they are putting the focus where it belong in an ARPG, in the 'A'.

6. Frank_the_tank

I know what Diablo is about. I also know that in Diablo 2 I spent a lot of time trading and negotiating in town. With a zoom option there would be plenty of time to examine other characters. There also seem to be more of a cinematic storytelling in D3 where you see your character talk etc. You make it sound like there's a downside to variation. And it's not a resource question, Blizzard would have little problem implementing a simple character creator.

7. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I think they cut those cinematic parts, though I read that a long time ago and it might've changed since. So basically you're stuck with the overhead view.

8. LordOfStrategy

LordOfStrategy Diabloii.Net Member

Keep in mind that each of the character classes are a unique individual who fits into the world and storyline. They aren't boilerplates but actual people, sans name, like The Wanderer, The (faux) Summoner and Blood Raven. Canonically, the Necromancer, Monk, Barbarian, etc are a single character.

9. Grug

Grug Diabloii.Net Member

Blizzard also mentioned in a Q&A session that they wanted to keep character creation streamlined. They want you to pick a name, class, and gender, and then hop into the game. Spending 10 minutes choosing appearance goes against the theme of speed.

10. Srikandi

Srikandi Diabloii.Net Member

The problem with this idea is that in multiplayer, you can have more than one of a class in the world at once. So yeah. Since the "canon" is already out of synch on this with the reality of gameplay, I don't see that customization really helps or hurts.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, since I'm mostly a single-player person in Diablo and I don't consider it a real "role-playing" game. In a true RPG, character customization helps you inhabit and identify with your character to tell the story you want, so it servers a gameplay purpose, and that doesn't apply here. If I were a multiplayer person, though, I would definitely want something to distinguish me from another player in the same class who might have some of the same gear. Wouldn't have to be facial customization, though; something as simple as armor color themes, like they had in Hellfire, would be fine.

11. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

beat me to it.

What if they made it so you could only have one male and one female of the same class in any one multi player game?

I forget what game it was but, I remember a game that let you dye the primary and secondary colors of any armor, I think that would be enough.

12. GuardianHadriel

GuardianHadriel Diabloii.Net Member

The characters need to be made to fit the storyline and to bring them a personality...the barbarian is taken right out of the second game ad aged...what's the plan as far as charater customization goes there? that he would'nt be cutomisable?

13. Frank_the_tank

Please don't bring up realism as a factor for discussion in a game where millions of identical heroes slay the exact same unique foe 30 times a day with the same sword. Making the barbs looks fit your imagination pales in comparison.

14. Littlewedgi

Littlewedgi Diabloii.Net Member

That would be Fable II.

15. a black kid

i find it really odd that people still make the argument about a real 'role-playing' game... now, this may have made sense back in the late 80's early 90's a LITTLE... but what about the final fantasy's? are you saying all those amazing games arent rpg's? since you definitely do not customize the actual character other than armor, nor can you tell the story how you want.

at this point there is dozens of sub genre's of 'role playing games', and they are all real. its been almost 20 years since rpg changed to almost any game in which you gain experience and levels.

16. Keighvin

Keighvin Diabloii.Net Member

Well, technically, the Final Fantasy games aren't RPGs, I think in Japan they're called adventure games or something like that.

17. a black kid

technically by YOUR standards apparently... and though you may find some people to agree with you, the overall gaming world probably would not. the fact is, RPG hasn't meant a strict 'role playing' game since well well before the turn of the century.

18. NASE

NASE Diabloii.Net Member

Do we even want a hide/show toggle? In diablo 2, all characters run around in heavy armour. Even the casters can run around with winged helms.

I think we should keep that. We don't need casters to run around barely naked. And we don't need characters running around without helms.

If you want to see your hair, use circlets. And demand that blizzard makes circlets interesting for all classes.

But hide/show, not for me. Diablo isn't realistic in many parts, but it is there. Why not keep that part of the illusion?

19. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop Diabloii.Net Member

For once they are cutting/simplifying something I don't care about.

/sigh of relief.

Its really gotten that bad for me lol.

20. Keighvin

Keighvin Diabloii.Net Member

Well, someone is clearly easily upset. I like the FF games, and I consider them RPGs. All I said was that the FF games and other JRPGs were not considered RPGs in Japan. I'm not Japanese, so that's mostly just a fun fact.