Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'Char expired' but still have 10 days left, bliz purge? if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fearlessone, May 3, 2005.

1. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

'Char expired' but still have 10 days left, bliz purge?

I have a few mules on each account that I have yet to put the full 2 hours on, I just log into them and often enter games to check out items and mule (of course). One mule on each account, both in the same postion on the 8 chars display screen, have been giving me a little white box msg: "Char hasnt been played in more than 90 days and has expired", or such. Trouble is, I had logged into them just the day before, one char is only a couple weeks old, and they both ALSO have a msg underneath saying: Char will expire in 10 days (9 days now, it has been going on for past 2 days now).

Someone told me its a glitch, but I dont trust blizzard. I've noticed alot of "MulePark" games lately, ppl trying to get the 2 hours in. Is there something I'm out of the loop on?? A few minutes ago, I tried to log into one of these chars and got an INSTANT: "BattleNet Connection Lost", followed by "Realm Down". WTF is going on Blizzard!!!

Two years ago, they started enforcing the 2 hour 'burn-in' rule, which they had not enforced in the first 2 years. They did this all of a sudden: 'Player Not Found', with no warning, and huge numbers of players saw this happen even to some of their high lvl chars. So Bliz gradually returned some to active player status. During the 12 days they took to do this, alot of ppl lost some of their chars because the 90 day cycle was up for them, I lost 4 players this way...

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You PC clock is probably wrong, so if the game on your computer compares the time of the last login or the expiration date with the local date, it makes its own assumptions, no matter what happened in reality. A wrtong computer clock will not cause a character deletion. Blizzard makes their own expiration chacks.

3. Fearlessone

Well, it happens only to a single mule on each acct and I have several who will expire within 10 days. I'm trying to levl these up as soon as possible. Why wouldnt it affect the others if this is the problem. Also, the days these 2 chars have left has dropped from 10 to 8 now, and thats blizzards info being transmitted to my char selection screen on each acct. So I dont think so....

4. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

You don't have to level up your mules to perm them. They just need to have a total of 2 hours ingame time.

5. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

This once happened to a friend of mine. He emailed blizzard about it and the next day he could get into them.

I'm not sure if it was because of blizzard doing something though, since he didn't even get the official "We have recieved your email now we're going to throw it somewhere in the very very very big pile of crap to do" email. You could try it anyways, it might work.

6. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

ive always wondered, do you need to be in an actual game to rack up the 2 hours, or can you idle in a channel or the main screen or something?

7. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Banned

you have to be in a game, but you don't have to play. you can just hang out in town. i usually burn mules in a window in the background while i'm on my comp doing something else.

8. Fearlessone

Squawk! Squawk!

Yeah, there are even games called "MulePark' and such. After 15-30 min of non-activity in single player bnet games, the game is terminated. I'm not sure about the big group mule games tho. I've read the rules very carefully now about how to keep chars active. It does say that u have to 'play' active chars once every 90 days to keep them from expiring. I've noticed that it takes only logging into the char to reset the clock, both for active and incompletely 'burned' chars.

Now what about dead HC chars? They have chat channel privledges but cant enter any games. They may be exempt from ever having to enter any games...

So Bliz at any time could suddenly declare about half the chars on bnet 'expired' since they didnt enter any games recently. Dont think they will do this? With d3 on the way and with pressure put on some bean-counter in their bureaucracy, they can and have done things like this in the past. Last time was 2 years ago, when they started enforcing the 2hr burn-in rule. Only squawking, bellyaching, outcries from lottsa people keep them in line.

I've emailed them yesterday, and the countdown continues... 4 days till expiration. If it doesnt clear up by Monday, then I'm going to the live tech support channel....

9. Boo_Rack

Boo_Rack IncGamers Member

10. Fearlessone

Whew!

Thanks Boo_Rackl, and NecroChild313. I searched all over this forum, but not bnet before posting, the problem first started for me on Monday. It's limited to unburned chars on USWest. Several ppl I talked to in game said they were having similar probs. I burned in 4 chars last nite AND went into games with all 90 of my D2 chars + accts ppl have given me just so I dont get screwed again.

U know, the ladder reset will prob come after one year (in 2 months almost exactly), and I'm gonna delete about half these mules that I been making lately. The lower they are, the more disposable they are, but that doesnt mean they dont have some godly ****(poop) on them!