Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Changing Acts and losing hireling levels?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by randalin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. randalin

randalin IncGamers Member

Changing Acts and losing hireling levels?

I only recently started playing Diablo II. I have made it through the first 2 acts (I just sailed out from Lut Gholien). On a lark I decided to go back to revisit the old haunts in Act I, so I sailed back to LG, then caravaned back to the Rogue Encampment.

Along the course of my adventures to date, I kept the same mercenary I originally hired. (level 7 when I hired her, out of the Rogue Encampment)

Over the course of my adventuring I reached level 22 and she reached level 18.

When I went back to Act I to kick around a bit and see if I'd missed anything, she (my mercenary) was suddenly level 12!

Anyone else seen this?

Likewise, anyone have a suggestion for fixing this problem? (I don't think I have a copied save from before I went back, so I can't restore from that.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Not sure as to why this happened, but are you sure that it's the same merc, and that you didn't just buy a new one?

3. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

That's very odd. Are you playing D2 classic, by any chance? LOD changed a lot of things on the mercs, including keeping them when you save and exit.

4. randalin

It's Diablo II with the LOD Expansion (sorry didn't think about mentioning that. When I enter the game, I have my merc still.

Same name, same gear, and she didn't die since she was level 18 (She was last resurrected when she was level 16 then gained a couple levels). I just noticed that she was level 12 when I went back to Act I. (I do have an old copy of the character, but it's before sunday, when *my* character gained 8 levels, so I'm not reverting to that!)

I guess in the future, before going back to a previous act, I'll copy my character files for safekeeping. It could be a one time fluke. But I'm going to keep an eye out for any repeats of this. What's sad is, I have the same level merc with my 14 necro now.

5. Matrixnetuk

Matrixnetuk IncGamers Member

Sorry to probably go over same ground but what procedure must i go through to complete a "save" of char

Cheers
    :drink:
    Matrix

6. randalin

I'm not sure if this is a COMPLETE save. But here's what I do. (assuming Windows version here, only version I have)

First, create a folder where you will store your backup.
    Second, open the DIABLO II\SAVE folder on your PC.
    Third, Copy all the files that have your character's name.

(For example, if my character is named BOB, I select all the files named "BOB" There are several of them)

Fourth, Paste the files to your chosen backup folder (which you created in step 1).

Edit: This works for local games, and LAN multiplayers. Those are all I have played so far.

7. Matrixnetuk

Matrixnetuk IncGamers Member

Thx mate I will give that a shot

Matrix<<<<<<<<<<<<<loves this forum

8. weregamer

weregamer IncGamers Member

Backing up local characters

The only file you *need* to back up is the .d2s file. The .key file stores your hotkey configuration, which is easy enough to rebuild. The other files save your current maps, which get regenerated whenever you change difficulty or use the character in multiplayer anyway.

Also, since this is the newcomers' forum, I should note that there is no way to back up your closed battle.net characters, because they aren't even on your machine in the first place.

9. Jeda

Jeda IncGamers Member

Also, next time you want to go backwards (or forwards) in acts, you can do it using the waypoints too. This is also what might have caused your merc to loose levels, but if it was, then it's defenitly a bug.

10. randalin

Really?

When I use waypoints, I only noticed the current acts waypoints listed. I'll have to take another look... (Not at home right now, so I can't look at the moment.)

11. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

When you click on the waypoint, you can choose the acts' wp's you want to go to by clicking on the act's tab on the top.