Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chance to Hit: Conviction Vs. Fanaticism

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Sechler, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

Chance to Hit: Conviction Vs. Fanaticism

I've been debating a new charger and was looking at using conviction w/ some outside aura gear (dream, dragon, hoj, not sure). Well of course you'd want to max fanat with a pure charger, but i'm more focused on connecting first then add'l dmg coming second as far as my primary aura....so, now i'm thinking you get much more chance to hit benefit from convict than fanat. I may be way off base, and someone straighten me out if this is the case. Conviction @ lvl 20 will reduce base def by 90%. Fanat @ lvl 20 achieves an add'l 135% ar. Conviction's reduced def combined with an nice ar that could be obtained from a skill like charge (in my case 550%) seems like a no-brainer. Now if you were to throw on a dream helm and put 20 pts in light res for 3800 dmg, it seems like a better choice.
    I'm tired and it's late at work so maybe this is a hairbrain scheme. Anyone got thoughts on this?

2. smeer

smeer IncGamers Member

From a chance to hit point of view I guess you're right. But most people choose fana because of the combination of more damag, ar and speed, and it makes you more versatile. You can also use zeal in combi with fana and its a great combi, that gives you far better crowd control compared to charge

If it's PvM than you can have both easily. Just put infinity on you merc
    PvP your merc is useless

3. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

Ok. On paper, Conviction is so much better than fanat from an Attack rating point of view. However, off paper, it is much more interesting. With charge, you close and hit the enemy quickly, and since it takes a little time for the conviction aura to affect an opponent, often the first two strikes are without Conviction, while they are there with Fanat.

The point is, yes your plan to use conviction is a good one, but still, don't give Fanat the miss, esspecially if you will be Zealing or Smiting.

Laz

4. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

Yes but with zeal and 3800 light dmg from just a dream helm with conviction running, you're talkin some nice zeal dmg. The only drawback is attack speed with conviction. I plan on using a fairly fast greif pb, so I'm not too worried about speed as zeal will be a secondary lvling attack....Charge is the focused killer i'll use pvp. The big concern is just hittining my opponent.

Now my initial plan for AR is to use 4x 130+AR/30+life gc's w/ rest being pcombs. Lots of ar/life sc's. And hsarus boots and belt. I'll have 245 raven as well. Can't really use angelics as I'll need highlords for deadly strike.

5. mumba

mumba Banned

There was a post a while back doin the calculations of how affective conviction was at reducing defense. Everyone expected to reduce it by 90% liek u said, so a 30k defense guy will be reduced to 3k.

I dont remember what happened in that, but it turns out that conviction only reduced the defense by a couple thousand, aka from 30k to 27k. I belive it was something that conv only reduces base defense or somethin, but its not as many pple think.

6. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

Part of my point is that actually reducing base def by 90% is very similar and comparable to the ar boost from fanat. In my situatioin, the phys. dmg is the only big diff, which can be more than made up by a slappin on a dream helm.

7. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

If someone has like 600% enhanced defense from various stuff, then conviction will lower that to 510% or so. Its more effective against monsters or players that doesnt have iron skin/defiance/holy shield or other defense enhancing skills.

8. IMCanadian

IMCanadian IncGamers Member

Use foh instead of charge :wink3:. You could use BA, since you have the added damage from charge syns n Hfire, youd be almost guarenteed. Plus BA also gives u passive ar bonus.

IMC :grin:

9. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

Maybe i'm a retard, but i couldn't make heads or tails of that, canadian.
    K.. ur saying use foh instead of charge, maybe that was a joke :scratch: . Your also sayin use a dragon shield/armor? Blessed aim is nice for the ar, but my aura choices that i'm really trying to decide on are convict or fanat. I will be using vigor here and there for good positioning and added desync, but that'll mainly be versus sorcies. I need a good ar booster w/ added dmg capabilities vs. babas/pallys.

10. wheel-of-doom

wheel-of-doom IncGamers Member

Actually I think conviction's lower defense is faced with a pvp penalty. It actualyl lowers the defense by 1/6th of what it says so a conv that reduced def by 90% will only reduce 15% in pvp. So say a pally with 30,000 will only lose 4,500 def. However skills like inner sight for amazon are not faced with this penalty and subtract a fixed amount from the base defense, thus is much more damaging to defense. This is mostly off the top of my head, though I think I'm right.

11. harley98

harley98 IncGamers Member

if your just worried about hitting go with blessed aim. if you got enough dex i'd go with concentration.