Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

chance to get onto a specific server?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by carnivore, May 15, 2008.

1. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

chance to get onto a specific server?

a couple of days ago i decided to try d-clone hunting. i read the guide of course, which left everything pretty clear to me, except one thing, i was wondering about:

when i create a new game, it is decided on which server it is hosted. does anyone know if this decision is influenced by any kind of load-balancing?
    if so, it could be a lot harder than just the 1/100 chance to get onto the right server.

im asking because i have a forced reconnect of my internet connection every 24h, which leaves only a limited time to react and an even more limited choice of possible servers per day to wait on.

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Re: chance to get onto a specific server?

I've always assumed it is, and it would make sense for Blizzard to do that.

3. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Even if it is load-balanced, I am skeptical that the number of people anni chasing would have a significant impact.

What's the average number of players on east or west divided by the number of servers? And how many people can we safely estimate are server hunting?

4. Erwwwd

Erwwwd IncGamers Member

Problem is that the soj selling - anni hunting is organized. Prior to selling sojs the band of unid. annihilus sellers will all create games in their chosen server. So the load will always be heavier on that one. That's why it's so hard to hunt sojs, there are generally few slots open on the server open when Diablo walks.

To OP: There could be a balancer in place, it does make sense. Although technically if the balancer would work without checking serverload first(just purely putting people on random servers) it would work just as well to balance the servers IF there were no need for being on a specific server. The need to be on a specific server is only there since the annihilus patch, and that came later in the game after the servers had already been set up.
    So it's anyones guess if there is a balancer in place really.

5. carnivore

carnivore IncGamers Member

thanks for the input.

the longer i think about this, the more seems this seems to be the most likely.

the other two variants, i had originally in mind were:

- all server loads are checked and compared when a game is opened and the game will be directed to a server with a low working load (either always or only when the next best server is above a certain capacity) --> this could make dclone hunting very, very difficult

- all possible game connections (those that arent taken) are pooled (up to 100 servers * ca 1000 connections each) and a new game gets a random connection from this pool. this would probably work best as it doesnt need any active checking on the server and automatically balances the load. --> for dclone hunting this would mean, that it gets harder with each connection already taken on a server to get on it. (imagine to get one of the last 100 connections when all other servers still have 950 open ones: 100/95100 chance).

edit: i actually got an anni yesterday from a server i was idling on all day. just an average one, but still my first self "found".