Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chance to cast question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by mjkittredge, Jul 12, 2010.

1. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

Chance to cast question

I recently crafted a hit power amulet that had two separate ctc fn :

5% Chance to cast level 4 frost nova
    5% Chance to cast level 3 frost nova
    ect rest of mods

My question is, does one override the other, do they stack, do they work separately? For instance, wearing that amulet, would the random number generator do two separate rolls of 1 to 100 each time I was hit? If it were the same level frost nova, would they stack, and if I had more from other equipment could it go up to say, 30% chance to cast frost nova?

I've always wondered if having 2 or more pieces of equipment with ctc the same spell would boost it up higher or if it just remained 5% or whatever it happens to be. I love these mods because it seems to send monsters into hit recovery mode when it goes off, same with regular nova and charged bolts.

On a side note, what is the level of the mod "Chance to cast hydra when struck" ? Not very useful, but what a fun mod :)

2. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

Re: Chance to cast question

i´m not an expert, but as i understand it the chances only stack if the lvl and the spell is the same. if those criterias are not met, they are calculated individually (like deadly strike and critical strike are basically the same, but exclude each other)
    i think only one of those ctc´s can be triggered at a time, but i don´t know which one is the superior one (my guess would be lvl 4 nova)

3. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

if the spell is at the same level it will be cumulative, as mentioned above.
    A level 5 nova from a ring, and a level 5 nova from an amulett will add on to each other and make 10%chance to cast a level 5 nova. If both had 5% chance.

But IIRC 2) of the same kind of spell, does not cancel each other out leaving one on top. They are both calculated to be set off; and can even be set off at the same time.

They do not exclude each other; but they are not counted additative, that is, 50% crit and 50% deadly = 100%.
    the formulae to calculate it is:
    ... which I was too stupid to remember :(
    *note. CS and DS can't apply at the same time however.

4. mjkittredge

mjkittredge IncGamers Member

Now that would be really cool, two frost novas cast together - or even more! I wonder if I would be able to notice, or if it would just look like one.

5. Rawness

Rawness IncGamers Member

I would test it if I weren't so sleeeeepy and going off to bed.. but I do think it's accurate. Now :cloud9:

6. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

I crafted something similar like that once, made a build around it just for the lols.

Not much damage, but nice pics!

7. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

didn´t know that so many ctc could be triggered at the same time.

however the formula u poseted rawgue, just says that crit and deadly strike can´t be triggered at the same time and that crit is the superior one, meaning if u have 50% of both, the game will first check if crit is triggered, and then from the remaining 50% of the hits it will apply again the 50% deadly strike

8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

As the skill level is different, the chances aren't added and both can trigger at the same time AFAIK. However, nextdelay considerations might lead to only one of them having an effect on the same target.