Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Chance to cast of 2 items

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by sirwhere, Sep 11, 2006.

1. sirwhere

sirwhere IncGamers Member

Chance to cast of 2 items

Hi all. I got a frenzy babo with atma's amulet since long and just got a cruel blade of amplify damage. The amulet has 5% chance to cast level 2 amplify, while the blade is 5% to cast level 1 amplify.

Having two amplify items should men amplify triggers a bit more frequently, right? Well, the point is I don't seem to be getting any more triggers than before. I know the difference is small, ~9/5 % for each left/right swing, as compared to the previous situation (no cruel blade of amplify) of 5/5 %, but should still be noticeable.

So, the million dollar question is.. does the game roll two amplifies on the left-hand swing, one for the amulet and another for the blade, or does it just take the highest level of amplify and roll the amplify on that item? Or is it really triggering more frequently and it's just me not noticing it? :scratch:

2. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

It should "roll twice" (amulet and weapon) for the blade side and "roll once" (amulet only) for the other side. Because the additional chance to cast only applies to every other swing, you won't likely notice a difference.

3. sirwhere

I would think that too, but somehow it feels nothing changed from the previous situation. Maybe it's just selective memory.. lol.

4. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

they are rolled separetly since the levels of the ctc skills are different, unless my math is misstaken then:

Chance that atleast one of them triggers on one swing:
    (0.05*0.95+0.05)*100 = 9.75%

Chance that both trigger on one swing (the later will just replace the first one in this case):
    (0.05*0.05)*100 = 0.25%

Chance that atleast one of them triggers on dubble swing (assuming only amu apply to the second swing):
    (0.05*0.95+0.5*0.9025+0.05)*100 = 14.26%

I think ... :cloud9:

5. sirwhere

If the skill levels were the same, they would add up, right?

6. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

correct. 10% chance to cast level 2 amp + 5% chance to cast level 2 amp is a 15% chance to cast level 2 amp.

7. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

As long as the poercentages are rather small, the difference between both scenarios are negligible (*) anyway: 0.25% in the 5%+5% scenario .

Separately: Chance to cast amp at least once = not (chance to cast neither the one nor the other) 1-(0.95*0.95) = 0.0975 = 9.75%

Added: 10%, obviously.

(*) please correct me regarding the numbers of i's, l's and g's in "negligible" :wink3: .

8. sirwhere

I believe all is correct. Both the maths and grammar.. lol

Anyway, I got a new babo to play with right now.. so it might take a while before I convince myself the amplify is working properly.. lol.

9. krischan

I guess I would rather go for lifetap from Dracul's. A barb with two weapons already is very aggressive and adding even more to it sounds dangerous. On the other hand, doubling damage means doubling lecch - except for PIs and (this is where lifetap comes into play again) those with leech efficiency of 0. Anyway, items like Atma's Scarab, WWS or Lacerator aren't really expensive, so it's worth trying.

10. sirwhere

Well, I don't want amplify to be overriden by life tap. I use Laying for gloves. If I get low on life I just back off, using the frenzy crazy run speed. My defense is good enough at 12k anyway, and leech is pretty high (25%), so...

11. krischan

That's what I meant when I said that I would go for lifetap from Dracul's instead :azn: Whether lifetap or amp is better is a matter of taste and play style, of course. I for myself would prefer lifetap.