Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

chance to block

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by uncountednose, Oct 23, 2006.

1. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

chance to block

so i noticed, accidentally, that if you keep adding to dexterity the chance to block listed on your character screen will increase beyond the listed value on your shield. my instinct tells me that your block does not actually increase but that this shows your maximum potential to block(if you got a shield with higher chance to block). is this correct?

unfortunately i got so excited when i saw my chance to block go up that i kept increasing my dexterity. i have a sinking feeling :sad2: that i will have to keep leveling for these stat points not to be wasted.

currently i am level 90 sorc and the char screen lists my chance to block as 66 while carrying a rhyme grim shield(max block 60) it seems that you lose 1 percent block per level. do i have to get to level 96 before the stat points even out?(shudder, that takes entirely to long):cry: i think the highest block i can achieve with a rhyme shield is with a hyperion, aegis, or ward(64%) which would lower my leveling to 92 but i will need more str for all of those(21 for hyperion).

the reason im liking rhyme if anyone wonders are as follows:

-20% increased chance of blocking
    -resist
    -mana regen
    -mf
    -and best of all dirt cheap.

is there a better shield for me that encompasses these qualities and can be used for max effect with my current(after equipment) str(107) and dex(215)? i have a little wiggle room with 10 unused stat points.

thank-you ahead of time for any help.:smiley:

2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

Chance to block IS based on your dexterity and level. You need roughly 2 dexterity points per level to maintain your shield block %. You can see the formula here.

3. uncountednose

uncountednose IncGamers Member

so if i understand you correctly the chance to block listed on the shield is just part of a formula and not a limit so exceeding it can easily be done? good news if so.

4. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

The chance to block on the sheild is not what your limited to for blocking. 75% block rate is the max you can achieve. The chance to block on the sheild does matter in that, the higher it is, the less dextarity you'll have to invest in getting that 75% max chance to block.