Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Champion Mephista (yes, another update)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zarhrezz, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Champion Mephista (yes, another update)

For those who do not know Mephista yet: She's an ES sorc with base vitality and no equipment geared towards giving her life. If you think going into hell with less than 400 life and -80% resist all is suicide, this build is most likely not for you :D

Mephista just finished Nightmare. I recall 2 occasion where she almost died:
    - Act III: Stygian Doll, Extra Strong/Mana Burn. ES went down in one hit...so I had to run...oh well, everyone loves Stygian Dolls no?
    - Act VI: Frenzytaur, Lightning Enchanted/Mana Burn. See a pattern?
    Of course there were some moments where life went down (due to poison most exclusively) but as long as noone is near that can actually deal that last hp of damage, who cares? At some points mana went down pretty fast too...but then again, most people just die to Dark Soul boss packs or 15-20 archers firing away at you. Oh, standing in the middle of 4-6 Hydra's also takes mana pretty fast. Most risky area was the Frozen Tundra though for one simple reason: The ground color makes Blood Mana hard to spot...something that can kill you if you're not paying close attention...yes, Blood Mana is the one thing that can take Mephista's hps down faster than poison.

Mephista's stats look like this at level 73:
    Strength: 65 (67)
    Dexterity: 25 (27)
    Vitality: 10 (37)
    Energy: 320 (347)
    Unassigned: 30
    Life: 152 (348)
    Mana: 749 (1492)

Skills:
    ES 20 (37)
    TK 20 (33)
    FO 20 (29)
    CL 2 (15)
    SF 1 (16)
    CA 1 (10)
    CM 1 (10)
    LM 1 (14)
    Warmth 1 (9)
    Unassigned: 3

Why the unassigned points you might wonder. Well, I did have a nice planning, from which I deviated some (planned was 1 points FA, I spend an extra 2 points to get CA...I just had to see that ice hose thingy) and I'm considering deviating a bit more to get a point in TS. Right now I get TS from my staff, but I'm going to switch to another Memory staff, one with +3 ES, +2 CM instead of the +1 ES, +3 TS I have now. Seeing as how I can't seem to get my hands on more lightning skill charms, the +3 ES is welcome...I want to get the full protection before venturing into hell. Keeping TS would be nice though...but will it be worth 2 less points in CL? I'll have to look at the number some more I guess. I'm also considering spending some extra on CM, to get it to -100% enemy cold resistance (which I consider the most efficient number...monster with 0% base will get reduced as much as possible and everything not immune will get pushed into the negatives). I'll just have to plug the numbers into the skill planner and see what I like most.
    As to the stat points...I've started considering my armor. Right now I'm using Que-Hegan's Wisdom, which is a good armor for this build. However, unless I get my hands on an Arch-Angel's/Powered Amulet of Life Everlasting, I can only get 14 PDR which only negates the first 280 damage from a physical hit. But once I can wear Arachnid Mesh I'll keep my skill levels and cast rate if I change armor. Now the Gladiator's Bane becomes an interesting option...possible 20 MDR and 20 PDR...with 7 MDR from Memory staff and 1 socketed Sol I'd have 27 MDR and PDR (which translates to the first 520 damage of a hit not affecting life at all). Downside: loss of +1 skills on the slot, extra cost of 45 stat points which translates to 90 mana before +%max mana...well over 200 mana in the end. I guess I'll have to start gambling and rerolling amulets in the hopes for one that'll make the decision for me (i.e. Powered Amulet of Life Everlasting or Powered Amulet of [insert big mana here]).
    Another equipment issue to be resolved is my second ring: I still need to get my hands on a second Stone of Jordan. I'll need the extra mana for hell.

Equipment considerations aside, I believe I'll be able to mat this build. Keeping alive has proven alot less of a problem than with any other builds I've played before and there's some advantages to normal defensive builds that I've observed this far:
    - No need for FHR. A monster needs to deal over 600 elemental damage in a single hit to send you into hit recovery. For physica damage this number is higher. This is when considering (only) 14 MDR/PDR.
    - No need for resistances. If something does enough elemental damage to get past the ES/MDR, it is so little that it being amplified by far negative resistances doesn't matter much. Oh! I took -10 instead of -5. Ouch.
    - No need to care about being hit by Amplify Damage or Lower Resist. It's not likely monsters will hit hard enough to hurt your life to start with. If somehow they do anyhow, the little amount that it's for getting doubled is not much of a worry anyway.
    - No shield, no block animation interrupting your casting.
    - You can survive a 7k damage hit. Physical or magical.

Disadvantage of this build: Mana Burn is a real threat on high damage ranged attackers. Seeing that Mana Burn does 4 times the normal damage as additional mana damage, a few archers can quickly rain on your parade. But hey, no build is invulnerable. Hell, here I come!

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

This is one of the bigger advantages ES has, since although ES takes the full brunt of a elemental/magic hit, resistance is never factored in until after ES.

Good luck with Hell difficulty, I look forward to reading about your exploits in Hell!

3. BSJoker

BSJoker IncGamers Member

Dude just one little mistake you made. Cold Mastery removes a percentage of the monsters resistance, not an actual number like Lower Resist or Conviction. Therefore, yes it can break immunities but not by that much, and it will never get a monster at 0 or lower resists to cold.

Other than that cool build, :thumbsup:, i sure as hell could not do that kind of a sorc.

4. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

That has changed from 1.09. Cold Mastery does now work like Conviction and Lower Resist. It cannot remove Cold Immunity though (Conviction and Lower Resist can, at 1/5th their normal effectiveness). What is nice for party play however, is that Cold Mastery is figured if a hit by a cold spell occurs. Meaning that if Conviction or Lower Resist removes an immunity, Cold Mastery takes full effect...so a monster with 120 base resist can get taken down to 90% resist (not immune anymore) by Conviction, at which point a max potential Cold Mastery will take it down to -60% resist against the cold damage.

5. BSJoker

BSJoker IncGamers Member

Nice, I didnt know that, havnt played a sorc in 1.10 yet.

:thumbsup:That cool my mistake, keep up the good work brotha
    GO!!! Mephista

6. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

wow a ES sorc, just must be sick in your mind :lol: i wish u all the luck you'll need in hell :thumbsup:

i hope she makes it to mat ^^

7. 6stringspanky

6stringspanky IncGamers Member

awesome idea man....i'll be looking for the full story when you mat